How To Become A Chainsaw Guru?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently found this site and its been a huge eye opener. Before finding this place, I had never heard of the following: CAD, DBH, barber chair and widow makers as it relates to felling trees, open face notch, Humboldt notch, etc. I try to read through all the old threads until my brain hurts then I stop for the day. Thank you gentlemen for all the awesome info you've put on this site over the years. I never knew how freaking lucky I've been haphazardly felling trees.

I recently bought a fireplace insert and plan on burning wood to supplement my electric baseboard heat. I'm had my crappy Homelite 33cc chainsaw for several years but never really used it much except for the occasional limb cutting chores. I did however use it to cut several trees down in my yard (well previous yard since I sold that house). Cut down one tree where the trunk actually fell straight down onto my toes! Luckily I was wearing some cheap Kmart steel toe boots and it just bent the plate vice crush my precious little piggies. Am I the definition of "stupid hurts?" I also had to us a handsaw to get my bar out of a Magnolia limb I was trying to cut up on a ladder (actually I was sitting in the tree). The limb pinched my bar and I couldn't get that sucker out no matter how much I pulled and yanked it. In hindsight, I can't believe I'm alive and still have all my arms and legs.

Anyway, on to my questions. I'll probably never become a chainsaw guru like you awesome gentlemen but it would be nice to get out of the "idiot homeowner" category. Could you guys tell me if I'm missing anything?

How to learn about chainsaw maintenance/repair:
1) Clymer book.
2) Take saws apart and put them back together. See how they work/what makes them tick.
3) Ask questions/keep reading posts on AS. As problems with my chainsaw arises, try to fix it myself.
4) Read chainsaw manuals/IPLs.

How to lean about felling/bucking/limbing/dangers of wood cutting:
1) Read To Fell A Tree
2) Dent's Procedural Guide
3) Beranek's (sp?) Fundamentals
4) Practice? To be honest, I'm kind of scared of this option after reading and watching videos here lol. Had no idea all the hidden dangers of felling trees.

Anything I'm missing? Anything you recommend I do in addition to the above items? I'm thinking about volunteering at a state park nearby for trail maintenance. Hopefully they offer some kind of chainsaw felling course. I also know about using proper PPE.

Oh right, forgot to mention a few things. I'd like to cut and use about 4 cords of wood a year. Planning on upgrading to the PP 5020AV or the CS 590 TW after reading about them. Rational side of my brain is screaming buy the PP 5020AV, it's sufficient for my usage but the irrational side is screaming just as loud. If I compromise, I'll go with the CS 590. Stihl's are kind of pricey. Husqvarna's are nice but cost a little more than I need and all I'll do with it is cut firewood.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

4 cords a year ?
yup thats good for like 20 saws for most of us 'round here.
welcome aboard, make new friends, share your experiences, learn and teach.....but be careful.
oh and if you learn only ONE thing...let it be how to sharpen a chain.

I think I'd rather own two at most. I may keep the little crappy Homelite to use as my limbing (is that word?) saw and the future saw to cut up the trunk/bigger pieces. Although, having a backup saw for my primary saws would be nice.

About sharpening a chain, I bought one of those guide bar thingies. I think I still messed it up though. Read a few threads where it said to flip the chainsaw upside down to do the other cutting side. Didn't do that. In fact I did it sitting on the ground so the angles are probably all jacked up by now. I'm going to buy on of those bar mounted angle filers. I believe that will be about as idiot proof as I can get.

Welcome to AS!

You listed a lot of good materials. It would also be helpful if you got some hands-on experience with some experienced users. Nothing like personal instruction where you can ask questions, and where someone can observe you doing things you did not even know to ask about! Ask at local chainsaw shops about any local training opportunities. Sometimes these are offered by the USFS or trail maintenance groups or clubs (hiking, biking, horse, ATV, XC ski, etc.). A.S. periodically has local get-to-gethers (GTG) which you should watch for in the postings. Developing a relationship with a local chainsaw shop might also be a benefit.

Here are some other good references (easy to overload) that are appropriate for newer folks:

USFS Chainsaw and Crosscut Saw Training Manual (falling and bucking techniques) http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=0667 2C01

Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual (chain, bar, and sprocket maintenance) http://www.oregonproducts.com/maintenance/manual.htm

STIHL Chainsaw Safety, Operation & Maintenance Training Videos (apply to any brand of saw)

Husqvarna Training Videos (apply to any brand of saw) http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0VcazyXHqErUd8ib-OKs6sZkfGFQ5shu

Philbert

oh guides have fooled much smarter guys then "idiots"...ya just gotta know/learn what to look for and what your tendencies are. buy a new chain and use it as a guide for future filing classes...
when I first found this site I was afraid of saws...had to use one to cut up a few branches and needed to learn how to sharpen....

All good advice...Also, go on you tube and look up anything related to chainsaws...only caveat is there are lots of things in there NOT to do also...But you'll be in there for a week ...Lots on repairing and sharpening. Some of it is pretty good...then hang around AS everyday and start reading...

Welcome to AS!

You listed a lot of good materials. It would also be helpful if you got some hands-on experience with some experienced users. Nothing like personal instruction where you can ask questions, and where someone can observe you doing things you did not even know to ask about! Ask at local chainsaw shops about any local training opportunities. Sometimes these are offered by the USFS or trail maintenance groups or clubs (hiking, biking, horse, ATV, XC ski, etc.). A.S. periodically has local get-to-gethers (GTG) which you should watch for in the postings. Developing a relationship with a local chainsaw shop might also be a benefit.

Here are some other good references (easy to overload) that are appropriate for newer folks:

USFS Chainsaw and Crosscut Saw Training Manual (falling and bucking techniques) http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=0667 2C01

Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual (chain, bar, and sprocket maintenance) http://www.oregonproducts.com/maintenance/manual.htm

STIHL Chainsaw Safety, Operation & Maintenance Training Videos (apply to any brand of saw)

Husqvarna Training Videos (apply to any brand of saw) http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0VcazyXHqErUd8ib-OKs6sZkfGFQ5shu

Philbert

Excellent advice, thanks. I've been watching the Husqvarna videos the past few days (work output has taken a serious plunge since I found this site). I book marked the USFS link from a previous post. I'll search around for some hands-on experience with a pro/semi-pro. I need to find someone patient as hell though since I ask a ton of questions, especially when I'm interested in the subject. Chainsaws, woodcutting, and splitting is become a hobby and I want to practice this hobby for a long time.

One more question. Will I look like a total idiot if I bring a protractor into the woods to measure the degree of a notch? Was reading about an open faced notch and how you want it to be close to 90 degrees. About 70 degrees for the top cut and 20 for the horizontal/bottom cut. That way the tree will be attached to the hinge for a prolonged period of time, not taking into account the 1000 + variables that could be present (i.e. wind, lean, etc or does that even matter?). How did you guys perfect the art of cutting at angles? Man, I have so much respect for arborist/loggers now. Had no idea this stuff was so complicated. I've been reading about burning wood too. It's enough to make your head spin reading about secondary combustion, draft, primary air controls, secondary air, etc.

All good advice...Also, go on you tube and look up anything related to chainsaws...only caveat is there are lots of things in there NOT to do also...But you'll be in there for a week ...Lots on repairing and sharpening. Some of it is pretty good...then hang around AS everyday and start reading...

Yep, you're right. Hard to filter out what is legit on You Tube. I try to stay away from that place unless I'm searching for a specific person. I was searching the correct form for deadlifts and incorrectly went to You Tube for instruction. So many variations. Luckily I've heard of Rippetoe so just searched for his videos. I imagine using a chainsaw to fell trees is about the same.

Will I look like a total idiot if I bring a protractor into the woods to measure the degree of a notch?

Yes.

This is where 'too much information' comes in. Certain falling techniques, such as those taught by the 'Game Of Logging' (GOL) recommend a wide notch so that the tree stays attached to the 'hinge' all the way down. Other techniques use a narrower face cut that closes, and 'launches' the tree off of the stump. You have to be careful where each technique is used, and of mixing techniques as a new guy. The 'How to Fell a Tree' and USFS books cover the basic notches, which are a good place to start.

Philbert

Yes.

This is where 'too much information' comes in. Certain falling techniques, such as those taught by the 'Game Of Logging' (GOL) recommend a wide notch so that the tree stays attached to the 'hinge' all the way down. Other techniques use a narrower face cut that closes, and 'launches' the tree off of the stump. You have to be careful where each technique is used, and of mixing techniques as a new guy. The 'How to Fell a Tree' and USFS books cover the basic notches, which are a good place to start.

Philbert

Oh man, I'm screwed! Too much information is my forte. I research like a freaking madman. Guess I just need to remind myself, Keep It Simple Stupid. Or at least, not make it too complicated.

You can launch a tree off the stump!? Nice! So I could set up some type of item away from the stump then launch the tree onto said object to keep the trunk off the ground. Wonder what the odds of putting the tree down onto the object would be.

I have limited falling experience, so I will not get too far into the details. But the key thing is not to just bring the tree down; it is to bring it down where you want it it to go - i.e. 'directional falling'. There can also be issues with falling dead trees ('snags'), which can behave differently, and some trees that split up the middle ('barber chairing') which is quite hazardous. These are where different techniques are sometimes used. Sometimes, trees hang up or bounce back at you. As your 'near miss' experience (and many YouTube videos) shows, there can be unexpected consequences, and even small trees carry tremendous weight.

Good to learn the details, but best to start with someone who can coach you on basic stuff IMHO.

Philbert

Chainsaw guru? Man you actually use a crap homelite!!! We should be following you!
;)

Another excelent site with high quality video material is from britsch columbia... I'am on my crappy phone and don't have the link, but they have good material!

And becomming a chainsaw guru is easy, just follow the rules you pray!

Good luck!

Chainsaw guru? Man you actually use a crap homelite!!! We should be following you!
;)

Another excelent site with high quality video material is from britsch columbia... I'am on my crappy phone and don't have the link, but they have good material!

And becomming a chainsaw guru is easy, just follow the rules you pray!

Good luck!

Easy there! My ex-wife wore the pants okay. She ordered me to buy a cheap, crappy chainsaw and like a good soldier I did as told lol. Now that I've upgraded my wife and grew a pair, I'm going to step way up and get the $200 5020AV or the $400 CS 590.

Thanks for the link Philbert posted. Looks like there's actual videos of accidents. Not sure I really want to see that though. May never fell another tree. I'm getting more and more risk averse as I get older, or is it wisdom?

Oh, another thing about that Homelite. I don't really remember exactly when I bought it. Probably somewhere between '08-'10. Had no idea you're supposed to drain the fuel when storing for a long period of time, never heard of the damage ethanol can do, used car motor oil instead of bar oil, etc. That thing is still kicking! Only issue I had is the fuel line and filter somehow broke off in the gas tank. I bought a cheap replacement from a hardware store and fixed it. That started the whole obsession with chainsaws and maintenance/repair.

Personaly I recomend for average homeowner firewood cutter a 40 & 60cc combo. With that you can takle most jobs!

@Philbert,
Thanks for the link! As usual reliable like a swiss watch!

Back