How to burn wood in an insert or stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know that may sound like a stupid question, but I am asking it anyway.
Once you get the fire going, first think in the morning, is it best to fill the firebox up, just as you would at night,
let it burn down and fill it up again,
or should you just keep throwing in one or two pieces of wood when ever the fire/embers get low.
Using the damper to adjust so that the chimney temperature is around 400F - 500F, measured with a magnetic thermometer
stuck about 18" above the stove.
Someone is always home and trying to keep house at an average temperature in mid-70'sF.

My insert is a Timberwolf EPI22. On weekends, I typically get it stoked up in the morning and then toss a few pieces in as needed throughout the day. During the week of course it's stoke and then not restoke until home from work 8-10 hours later.

As always, it's going to depend upon your particular unit. I would think you could go either way really. Either feed it all day or stoke it up and then regulate the airflow to control the temperature throughout the day.

"How to burn wood in an insert or stove?"

Easy. Just put some kindling in there, apply a flame, then add wood. There you have it!

I have a medium size insert (HI-300) that I heat with 24/7. I feel it full, get it buring hot, cut the air back and let it be. I repeat this process three or four times a day (dending on type of wood) and clean the ashes out about every fourth day. Keep your chimney clean and burn seasoned wood and all will be well. I don't mess around with thermometers, my fire is either burning or it isnt.

I heat a closed floor plan home at about 3000 sp ft with mine, so the damper stays wide open almost all the time, unless it gets to warm in the house or if its burning overnight

Thanks for the opinions on how to "feed" an insert/stove.

I had been feeding an open fireplace up until a few weeks ago when I had a
chimney fire.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/213790.htm

I then ordered an insert and 6" SS chimney sleeve, Lopi Declaration.
My chimney is at least 35' high.
It is going to be installed tomorrow (Wednesday), weather permitting.
Hopefully we will have a lot more heat and use a lot less wood.

Chuck

I too have a very tall chimney. You will want to keep an eye on it. With that height I find creosote likes to build up in the last few feet at the top, where it is coolest. I clean twice a year, and get more out of the final 8 foot than i do the rest of the chimney.

Latest posts

Back