How to dispose of old mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said he was putting it in his truck. The only IDI engines I know are Ford Diesels before the PowerStrokes.

I own 4 7.3 idi s ,I wouldnt recommend the gas in them. First of all to much gas will ruin a diesel engine, second diesel injectors are expensive. A small amount like hlf a gallon in a full tank of diesel might not hurt but not a good idea. The oil is no big deal, you can dump all the oil you want to in a idi.
Id take the old saw gas and dump it in a gas burner not a diesel.

3/4 of a gallon of old premix won't hurt nothin' in the gas tank of a truck. Just dump it in after you fill the tank. That is a miniscule amount of oil in 25+ gallons of fuel.

Gary

:agree2:
I totally agree, not gonna matter much when mixed with such a large amount of fresh fuel in your truck tank.

Just don't take it to an oil recycling center

I think it would not be wise to mix gas with used motor oil. You never know how they're going to use it, but I think it's generally burned. I guess it could be pretty well diluted by used oil, but I'd hate to think it might explode on someone.

I dump all my old mix into my 1946 farmall M. It dont know any better and drinks it along with any thing else that might resemble fuel !!

Meant to add this, but our municipal landfill drop off center will take both used motor oil and used gas, just not in the same container. Our tax dollars at work.

Mixiing ~1/2 gal. of mix won't hurt a half tank or more of diesl in an IDI. The gas that watered down won't hurt anything. If it gets done <4 times a year you should have bigger problems than injectors.

Mixiing ~1/2 gal. of mix won't hurt a half tank or more of diesl in an IDI. The gas that watered down won't hurt anything. If it gets done <4 times a year you should have bigger problems than injectors.

not true watered down gas and injectors dont mix, it take very little water to blow the tip off an injector, a half gallon of gas in 20 gallons od diesel ill go along with, 1/2 gallon of water and gas NOT

Older diesels with pre combustion chambers could tolerate up to 30% unleaded gas in diesel, often done in the winter to keep fuel from gelling. You did not want to try and start one with ether. A gallon of mix in 40 gallons of diesel probably will not hurt anything in a modern direct injected engine. I have seen diesel “run” for a time on straight gas usually when someone new to diesel fills them up with unleaded. They run very pooly with no power but usually survive the experience. Most diesels I have worked on have a water separator on the bottom of the fuel filter(s). Water in diesel fuel is not uncommon.

Last edited:
I work on them for a living, and have seen some ran on gas the didnt survive.
The old idi fords still have injectors that dont like water ,same as di motors.
A fuel water separator will only stop a small amount, if you dont believe dump a quart in a idi and see. As far as 30 % gas no way that's bs a very small amount of gas will stop gelling, but not 30 % and its stupid to use gas when you have howes or other additive that adds lubricity , gas doesn't! Also gas in a diesel fuel tank mixed is a good bomb, gas vapors sit on top and a good spark
is all you need to set off a tank full of gas an d diesel mixed, we stopped doing that yrs an yrs ago. As far as the idi fords go they are tough, that's all i drive but a little water they dont like!

They will start on ether fine, it just takes a whif, to much and theyll just lock up and not turn over till the either dissipates.
You just dont want to use it alot , hard on glow plugs.

Last edited:
From the owners manual for a Mercedes 240-300D. Page 70, Diesel fuel winter operation. “Varying with the temp, add a certain quantity of kersene or regular gasoline if only summer diesel fuel is available or if temps drop below 3F (-16c). If regular gasoline does half to be added, its proportion should not exceed 30%.” Don’t recall the 115s or 125s blowing up in the winter on a regular basis and they had a drain in the bottom of the fuel tank to remove excess water. Just don’t try to start them with ether.

From the owners manual for a Mercedes 240-300D. Page 70, Diesel fuel winter operation. “Varying with the temp, add a certain quantity of kersene or regular gasoline if only summer diesel fuel is available or if temps drop below 3F (-16c). If regular gasoline does half to be added, its proportion should not exceed 30%.” Don’t recall the 115s or 125s blowing up in the winter on a regular basis and they had a drain in the bottom of the fuel tank to remove excess water. Just don’t try to start them with ether.

Mercades benz LMAO now I see where your point comes from ! What yr was that 79? New England Now I see!

Mercades benz LMAO now I see where your point comes from ! What yr was that 79? New England Now I see!

Oh but you were so sure about regular fuel, water and diesel a post ago! What happened?? Did you discover that diesels may have actually existed before CAT developed the HEUI common rail injection system, that diesels can burn just about any fuel they can compress or that Fjord (navistar) diesels are just plain junk?? Must have skipped a few classes at the old tech school eh??

Oh but you were so sure about regular fuel, water and diesel a post ago! What happened?? Did you discover that diesels may have actually existed before CAT developed the HEUI common rail injection system, that diesels can burn just about any fuel they can compress or that Fjord (navistar) diesels are just plain junk?? Must have skipped a few classes at the old tech school eh??

These motors are far from junk. There's tons of them still running all over the country. That's one reason people love them, is that they will burn just about anything. I never figured on old gas having that much water, more than the water seperator could handle anyway. Then again I consider old gas as 3 months or so. Not much else lasts that long around my place with a mower, snow blower, saw, etc.

But everyone has their own favorites, and thats just fine. But don't be bashing on MY favorite!!:censored:

Im just as sure as ever! Read my post again! LOL the point was your an idiot from New England shooting your mouth off about some old Mercedes Benz, because thats all you know ! Mercedes Benz LMAO! There are some old volkswagen diesels to maybe you should quote their owners manual to!
Your so much fun! LOL

And one other thing the 7.3 idi is one of the toughest diesels youll find, but what would a New Englander know about tough trucks!

Last edited:
These motors are far from junk. There's tons of them still running all over the country. That's one reason people love them, is that they will burn just about anything. I never figured on old gas having that much water, more than the water seperator could handle anyway. Then again I consider old gas as 3 months or so. Not much else lasts that long around my place with a mower, snow blower, saw, etc.

But everyone has their own favorites, and thats just fine. But don't be bashing on MY favorite!!:censored:

You must be mistaken. The Fjord trained and educated tech said they only can burn diesel. Water, mix, k1kero, summer mix, winter mix, regular, premium, propane, ethane, methane or other ane is a no go. Blow the injectors right out of the block kill the whole unit.

You must be mistaken. The Fjord trained and educated tech said they only can burn diesel. Water, mix, k1kero, summer mix, winter mix, regular, premium, propane, ethane, methane or other ane is a no go. Blow the injectors right out of the block kill the whole unit.

First of all he didnt misunderstand, second I dont work at a ford shop, Chevy

Third your still an Idiot!

Last I said injectors dont like water, and using gas for winter fuel additive is gone with the old days you live in!

Last edited:
First of all he didnt misunderstand, second I dont work at a ford shop, Chevy

Third your still an Idiot!

Last I said injectors dont like water, and using gas for winter fuel additive is gone with the old days you live in!

My mistake. I thought the 7.3 powerchoke only came with a Fjord. You must be running the new and improved isuzu duramax. Not wholly impressed with that thing either although I am loathed to admit I do own one. Been a good engine, but the single fuel filer is pathetic and expensive.

Back