How to fell a multiple trunk tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_in_SEMich

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In exchange for snow removal services, a neighbor has a couple of large maple trees towards the back of his property that I get to take.

One has about a 40" diameter trunk with 3 16"-20" sub-trunks that separate from the main trunk about 4 feet off the ground. The other is approx 35" with 2 sub-trunks about 18" in diameter about 3 feet off the ground.

Probably a dumb question, but is it as easy as picking which one I want to drop first and then continue? No experience with multiple trunks this large.

Doesn't appear to be a lot of large branches intertwining between the sub-trunks, and I have a relatively open spot around for the drop-zone. Just a few small saplings that aren't valuable. Pretty level area, easy access for removal after felling & chunking, SEEMS to be on the simple side.

It the "SEEMS" part that I'm concerned about. All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

If there aren't interfering with each other, I'd take them down one sub trunk at a time. I find it's easier to clean them up this way and there's less to worry about while felling. When they merge together close to the ground, they can split while felling.

Yes, just work it in sequence. Make sure the leads are not entwined before you let them go, and also make sure you have it planned, start to finnish, before you start.

I'd add that if there's any doubt at all about entanglement, have a cable/rope on the trunk you're taking down before you start cutting. I dropped a multi-trunk tree a couple weeks ago. The first trunk went fine, but the second one had just a couple little sticks entwined up above. Luckily for once I was thinking ahead and threw a cable on the trunk as high as I could reach standing on the first stump (about 10 ft up, probably). Cut the trunk like normal, and I'll be danged if those couple sticks didn't hang that thing up. Wedged the heck out of it and they still wouldn't come loose, but constant pressure on a come along attached to the cable eventually brought it down.

Same situation at my home, and the one thing that has me concerned, is the height at which the face/back cuts need to be, in relation to the ground, 4', 5' up, puts the sawyer at a disadvantage, so my question for you is:

Where will you make the cuts from, on a small ladder, from a raised platform, and can you get away fast if something seems " not right " ?

As Nailsbeat said, plan it through.

Let us know how it went.

height of cuts

You might be able to lower the cuts to a more reasonable level, stay off the ladder stuff or keep chips out of your eyes, by doing the dreaded angled back-cut.

Normally, one would want to cut and dispose of that type of stump before friends wander by.

Sometimes there can be a lot of "pull" influence on one stem from its sister/root pull.
This could be a concern if you like to bore the back-cut and you are below the y.

For the most part. It you are with the lean and have no entanglements, good workspace and escape route set up and planned. This should be fine.

Hate to be a drag here, but it sounds like Silver Maple.I think your neighbor is getting a real good deal by having you plow and removing a large, potentially dangerous tree of little firewood value for free. There's lots of good trees in Michigan.

I take silver maple when it is is delivered in firewood lenghts to my house and stacked for free. I still have to split.

It burns ok it just doesn't have the staying power of the better hardwoods. I have been blending it with honeylocust this fall and will probably have the silver maple cleaned up by Christmas.

Don

For free id treat it like it was in the woods. Drop the tree, limb it up, chuck it up, load the chucks in the truck and scoot. No cleanin up brush, or yard raking.

Heck, I'm getting firewood delivered for free this year. A tree businees is doing a crane removal in my area and wanted a local place to take some maple, oak, and mullberry.... I'll have to chuck it up and split it, but the wood is free.

Previous advise is sound about using a pull rope on a multi tree drop. Just be sure you have enough pull vehicle and a long enough, strong rope, chain or cable.

Back