How to Figure BF??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cokehubby said:
I'm not sure of math but this a great little sight that might help.

A scaling stick does away with a lot of the math. Of course it depends on who is doing the scaling, the buyer or the seller. Seems the standard scaling stick has a hidden "shrink/expand" switch on it somewhere. Which setting is used depends on who is scaling. :)

Harry K

bottlefed89 said:
That's basically my question.. How do you estimate how many bf will come from a log??
Scribner's has scale books they sell through Madsen's. I also use a scale tape which is on my suspender's. When I cut for helicopters the board feet of a log is broken down into weight so that we know what length to buck the log for a proper weight for the helicopter.
Anyway, for instance a 32' log at 26" at the scale end (small end) is 100bf. There are many different methods, the two most common are east and westside scale.

Hey TreeSling'r,

I think you meant to say 1000bf, not 100.

Tree Sling'r said:
Scribner's has scale books they sell through Madsen's. I also use a scale tape which is on my suspender's. When I cut for helicopters the board feet of a log is broken down into weight so that we know what length to buck the log for a proper weight for the helicopter.
Anyway, for instance a 32' log at 26" at the scale end (small end) is 100bf. There are many different methods, the two most common are east and westside scale.

East and Westside scales are when you're using Scribner "C". The Pacific Northwest standard. Other scaling methods are used in other parts of the world.
Scaling rules always figure in waste. The mill is at a slight disadvantage so they scale the extra in for themselves, a little overrun.

Treeslingers log on the Doyle would be:
(tip dia in inches , minus 4) divided by 4, then that # squared then x the length of the log in ft.
Therefore a 32' log with a 26" tip scales 968 bf on the Doyle, but the kicker here is that not only would a log of this species and dimensions be not sold on the Doyle rule, as all hardwoods are, but had it been a hardwood it would ideally been bucked into three 10' 6" logs and probably jumped up in scale by 150% due to the fact that the butt log would have at least a 32" tip and the log above that would have a 28" tip at least.
The mill prefers to make these cuts themselves and ship them as peelers while the poor west coast logger gets mill run price. by selling all his wood as though it were a glorified telephone pole!:mad: Brighten Up!
Just a stupid flatlander trying to get a dig in on you stupid west coast fallers.:blob2:
John

Gypo Logger said:
Treeslingers log on the Doyle would be:
(tip dia in inches , minus 4) divided by 4, then that # squared then x the length of the log in ft.
Therefore a 32' log with a 26" tip scales 968 bf on the Doyle, but the kicker here is that not only would a log of this species and dimensions be not sold on the Doyle rule, as all hardwoods are, but had it been a hardwood it would ideally been bucked into three 10' 6" logs and probably jumped up in scale by 150% due to the fact that the butt log would have at least a 32" tip and the log above that would have a 28" tip at least.
The mill prefers to make these cuts themselves and ship them as peelers while the poor west coast logger gets mill run price. by selling all his wood as though it were a glorified telephone pole!:mad: Brighten Up!
Just a stupid flatlander trying to get a dig in on you stupid west coast fallers.:blob2:
John

You can't help it(trying for digs) You're Canadian:laugh:

Back