How to find serial # on Homelite XL-8xx or X-9xx

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsailor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all. A newbie's first post here.

I just picked up a old Homelite that I think is one of the XL-8xx or XL-9xx saws for $40 in a garage sale. I'm having trouble identifying the model though as the markings are no longer there. I can't seem to find the serial number or UT number either. Can someone please post where these numbers are located on these series saws.

I've already looked at "Chain Saw Collector's Corner" and my best guess is it looks closest to an XL-902 based on the red,green, and white coloring and the side location the oiler pump.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Starsailor! Welcome to the site!

There is usually a sticker somewhere on the muffler side of the saw and sometimes on the pull sart or somewhere else.

Silver sticker with black numbers, if you cant see it its probably gone.

No sticker or metal tag on saw.

Hi Wolves,

There's absolutely no sticker or metal data plate riveted to the outside of the case anywhere on the saw. I was expecting some sort of data plate with the UT and serial #s stamped onto it affixed somewhere on the saw. That's what the other saws I've seen all have, but wasn't sure with a Homelite.

To be perfectly honest this the the first Homelite I've laid my hands on. So I really didn't know where to look for the saw's info. Given the wear on the paint of the saw and missing model lettering on the paint too I'm not surprized that stuck on data plate is long gone too.

The seller said it was his dad's saw and that he always cleaned with a gas soaked rag to get the bar oil off. That may well have stripped off anything glued on.

Is there any chance there's some info on the inside of the saw case or stamped into the case that will tell what it is?

I've heard great things about the older XL-xxx models though. So, I thought $40 was too good to pass up. I really like to figure out what the saw is, but as long as it runs and cuts well I can't be too picky for that price; that is until I need to get a part or two.

Pics coming soon...

Hi Timberrat,

Good idea. I'll pry the digital camera away from the wife and post a few pics.
Thanks for the idea.

Pics of saw.

Finally got to take the pics I promised. Here they are in a smallish JPEG format. I have larger (5MP) if anyone would like more detail.

Anyway my guess, and it really is just that, is that the saw is an XL-902AM. I'm baseing this on the following points.

1. The red-green-white color pattern, especially the green half wrap handle.
2. The side oiler pump opposed to the rear oiler pump.
3. The faint indication of a white triangular model label on the round part of the starter cover.

All this is based on pics from the "Chain Saw Collectors Corner" site and specifically this model profile and pics. http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...be96a39e9fdfd8fa88256d9f00059c7f?OpenDocument

The one thing that doesn't match is the air filter cover indicates it's an solid state ingnition, i.e. no breaker points, which IMHO is a big plus.

Thanks to any that can help me figure this one out.

If it really has a solid state ignition , then its probably either a 904 or 924, but then again that air filter cover may not be original. All of the XL9xx series shares about 80% or more of parts between each model, so it may not be 100% original. You can remove the starter housing to see what ignition it has. I only have 925s, so unfortunatley I'm no expect on the pedigree of all these variants. Biggest variables in my opinion are whether its a 4.7 or a 5 cu. in. (pull muffller and measure bore) and what type of ignition system it uses. With this data, you can get it narrowed to within a couple of possibilities for at least the engine itself. Again, periphery items like starter, clutch, and air filter covers interchange very easily between other models. Yet, even this said, I'm pretty sure the bar mounting bolts also came in 2 different sizes (5/16" and 3/8") I believe, so this can also be a good clue as to the engine itself. Whatever it is, these are some nice Homelites in my opinion. You have a nice looking saw.

Dan

How can I check the ingnition?

I mean how do I tell if it's really a breaker point ignition or solid state? What do they look like under the starter cover? What I recall without looking right now is that I see the flywheel with a screen on it and come sort of magneto coil (or transformer) to rear of the flywheel.

As for the bar mounting bolts I checked them earlier and they are definitely 3/8 16 tpi. I'll measure the bore thru the exhaust port later today.

Judging by this pic its at least a partial mutt. The red of the rear handle and the red of the tanks dosent match. I would bet based on the oiler position and the paint descrepency that its not solid state. You could pull the flywheel and see if it has points, a 3 piece electronic ignition or a 1 piece electronic.

I would saw that the best way to identify it would be based on the oiler and the bore size combined. Ive seen this series saw woth the oiler on this side but the lever arangement on this one looks unique.

Most of the ones Ive seen pics of just had a thumb button, like a standard 925 oiler button but on the wrong side.

attachment.php

I've seen an XL-850 with that same air filter cover and side oiler-but like was mentioned above, it is hard to tell with these saws with all the interchangeability (which is a bonus in my opinion, identification not withstanding).

That side oiler setup looks just like what's on my VI955.

Oiler lever config. and ignition detail.

The oiler pump on this saw, like the pics show, is on the side, but the manual control for it is a lever on the opposite side of the rear handle from the pump.
The pump is activated by a linkage rod that passed thru the carb/air cleaner box from the thumb lever to another leaver on the pump side rod that pushes the pump piston. See attached oiler linkage pic. BTW, is this also an automatic oiler pump or is it a totally manual pump?

I don't know what I'm looking for with regard to the ignition so here's a pic inside the starter case of the flywheel etc. and a real closeup of the (visible) ignition parts.

Hi Habanero,

While the VI-955 does have the same oiler (found a couple of pics one on eBay here http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-VI955-...7622748QQihZ008QQcategoryZ79665QQcmdZViewItem) my saw has an older color scheme and no vibration isolation like the handles on the VI-955.

Thanks for the info though. I too am starting to interchangability of all the parts on these saws. It's propably a plus for long term maintenance to have such a broad supply a bits and parts.

Looking at the IPLS I have, the only models with the oiler setup like this are the 923FP VI944 and VI955. The saw obviously isn't vibration isolated, so it isn't any of these three. The ignition picture certainly shows its not a 3 piece or the newer 1 piece electronic ignition, however the 904 had an unusual trigger mechanism instead of points, but the coil looked the same as a saw with points. In any case, this looks like a coil for a points type ignition, unless by some odd chance its a 904. I don't have any IPLS for 8xx series saws but I certainly don't see an oiler setup that also has the same handle system in any IPLS I have so maybe that's what you have. Hopefully someone around has some of the earlier 8xx series manuals nad can dig deeper than I can.

Dan

Similar saw on another thread.

After some searching in this forum there's a thread trying id a similar saw at

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36947&highlight=identify+homelite

Of similarity are:

1. The same color scheme.
2. The same welded case.
3. The same filler caps.

Different are:

1. the rear oiler, but if you look closely at the pics 100_0153.jpg and 100_0155.jpg you can see rubber plugs where the pump lever linkage on my saw pass thru the carb box and screws in holes holding nothing on the side where my oil pump attaches. Perhaps the 2 pump styles are options on these saws. However, the case of my saw has no taped holes on the rear of the cover where the rear oilers attach.
2. My saw has the larger 3/8 bar mounting studs.
3. My clutch is different, although I assume those are very interchangeable and perhaps even different designs from different aftermarket vendors just like chains.
4 Carb on my saw is a Tillotson # HS-056A and not an HS-105B although they look the same from the pics.

Seems like we're getting somewhere...

Wolves, unfortunately I don't have the tools to pull the flywheel to check for points or not. It does have good spark though; checked that before I bought it;)

Hey lesorubcheek,

I wouldn't be a bit surprized to find out that the air cleaner cover is swapped from another and perhaps newer saw from the same series because it's so easy to swap. However, the cover screw knob seems to match the ones from the older models and the newer ones seem to have a knurled knob instead of a star shape. I can't imagine anyone going thru the trouble to swap the knobs if pulling a cover off another saw. I'd also be interested in any thought you may have on the similarities beween this saw and the other I refered to in my last post.

Oh, and many thanks for taking the time to look at all those parts lists to help me out here!!

Pics of clutch and rings.

A few more closeup pics of the clutch assy. and the piston rings as seen thru the exhaust port.

While the VI-955 does have the same oiler (found a couple of pics one on eBay here http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-VI955-...7622748QQihZ008QQcategoryZ79665QQcmdZViewItem) my saw has an older color scheme and no vibration isolation like the handles on the VI-955.

Thanks for the info though. I too am starting to interchangability of all the parts on these saws. It's propably a plus for long term maintenance to have such a broad supply a bits and parts.

I'm sorry, I wasn't inferring that your saw was a 955 (that and the 944 are the easiest ones to ID). I was just pointing out that it wasn't an entirely unique oiler setup.

I think a side oiler could have been put on my XL-924, as the mounting holes are there. You'd just have to drill the carb chamber to pass the rod through. Since that should be older than my 955, perhaps the side oiler has deeper roots in older saws as well.

Latest posts

Back