How to get cutting experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

361kid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I'm off on break from college for a month and I don't want to sit at home and be lazy. We have woods that I work in but nothing really major and I've already cleared most of what needs to be cleared. My question is, is there a way to get cutting experience without actually applying for a job with a tree company? I'd like to do that this summer but it seems pointless to do with only a month off. I remember someone talking about gypo loggers and how they volunteered their time helping them out. Money is of no factor, I just want to become a better chainsaw user, and the best way to do this is learning from a professional. If anyone could give me some advice, that would be great. I'm from Burton (near chardon) if there are any guys willing to help, thanks.:cheers:

You could come cut me some firewood.

If you lived closer. I have over 500 treetops that need bucked up into 20 inch lengths.. By the time you are finished you should be an expert.. Expert at cutting splitting and stacking I would hope too... LOL good luck

In the exact same boat with you. My best friend's father is a logger and sells firewood in high quantities so he gives us plenty of work and gives us tasks seriously hone our felling, cutting, bucking, skidding, ect skills. It's all about finding someone that needs work done, getting them to let you do it and then ask for more once they see that you do quality work and are safe.

n70001904_30402808_533.jpg

n70001904_30402801_4822.jpg

n70001904_30402802_5566.jpg

Getting some guidance after from the old logger himself after getting it hung up.
n70001904_30402808_533.jpg

n70001904_30402798_2510.jpg

n70001904_30402491_2324.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, gotta agree with several above posts, maybe check out yer neighbours (that'd be neighbors to you southern folk) iffin they need help, could be a good teacher hidden in da woodpile, never can tell.. Barring that, consider hanging out with a local tree service for a bit (oh yes, do choose carefully mate).
Only a quick thought or so. Best experience is by doing, good guidance in the cut is life-long/lifesavin' imho, listen to the teachers first.

:cheers:

Serge

I got bored out in the Midwest a few years back, and hooked up with a construction outfit who was getting ready to level some houses for a road widening project. They had a bunch of trees from small to about 48 inches at the stump. They asked me what my rates were, and I told 'em I just wanted to lay down some trees. It was an excellent arrangement. Best part was, they were going to level the houses anyway, so I laid numerous trees down right on top of houses. it was almost better than sex...

I got bored out in the Midwest a few years back, and hooked up with a construction outfit who was getting ready to level some houses for a road widening project. They had a bunch of trees from small to about 48 inches at the stump. They asked me what my rates were, and I told 'em I just wanted to lay down some trees. It was an excellent arrangement. Best part was, they were going to level the houses anyway, so I laid numerous trees down right on top of houses. it was almost better than sex...
Hm, not gettin' any now, that is better than sex!!!!!
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Grrrrrrrrr, gimme a saw an' a tree, :chainsawguy: grrrrrrrrrrr!
An' a house ta demolish! grrrrrrrrr :chainsawguy:

:)

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still wondering about this gypo logger thing. I think it was fishhuntcutwood who said he got a lot of experience from that. Can anyone tell me what a gypo logger is?

Logger

small time rough neck logger. private owner of a small logging operation or contract logger. Some refer to them as red-neck type and uneducated. Often associated with drinking copious amounts of liquer

CMM

Stihl trying to get that picture out of my head and then someone posts it again. Chainsaw alcohol and a camera is bad. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I would gladly collect yer check if you were here........:hmm3grin2orange:

Get a saw,a friend,and cut son.Be careful!

I thought i would bring this back to the top and say Evil Spiderman called and wants his costume back.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back