How to get rid of worms in dry red oak boards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim S.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently acquired several hundred bdf of red oak that was bandsaw milled a few years ago. In it are a number of boards that have been infested with worms which I think are still active. Holes (slightly less than 1/16" dia) are visible on some surfaces and frass is beneath most of the holes. I have not yet sawn any to see how extensive the tunneling is.

Are there any ways of killing the active infestation short of commercially heating above a specified temp? I am looking for a solution that I can implement myself. I don't have or know of a local kiln for heating.

I have contemplated building an airtight box (probably lined with heavy plastic) and putting the infested wood in it after spraying or brushing on an appropriate pesticide. My presumption is that with a bit of "soaking" time (weeks or months), the pesticide would kill the active bugs. After exposure, I also presume the active ingredients of the pesticide would be in low enough concentrations to pose no health problems.

Has anyone tried this or can suggest another effective technique?

My plan for the wood is for structural parts of cabinets and other millwork where the surface holes or tunneling is not detrimental.

If this is not the best thread for this question, please redirect me.

Regards,
Jim

Im wondering

There are two post about this today and I was wondering. On a hot day the interior temperature of an automobile in the sun will get to 150F or higher. Wouldnt a wooden frame covered with clear plastic in the same sun not approach this temperature?

It would be cheap enough to try.

I recently acquired several hundred bdf of red oak that was bandsaw milled a few years ago. In it are a number of boards that have been infested with worms... If this is not the best thread for this question, please redirect me.

Tough one... once the beetles have gotten inside, it's tough to get them short of heating the wood. I would jump on woodweb.com and ask over there, as that forum is geared towards that problem, among other things.

I have burned many a board that was infested because I didn't want to dead stack it with my other boards.

Back