How to get the wood out of the woods....??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is a Hi Jet but there are ALOT more manufacturers. These are Japanese minitrucks and farmers LOVE THEM. They are imported straight from Japan by alot of different companies. They are all used and they are all right hand drive. Some haveHydraulic dumpers, differential lock, 3 cylinder 660cc engines. They usually go for right around $5,000 but My Rhino cost $9,000 and it will not haul half of what these things will and they already have the cab and heater !!!
The Japanese Gov't starts to tax the hell out of their people for running cars that are over 10 years old so they just sell the old ones and buy new ones and the sold ones end up over here. Atleast that was the expalination i got. Most states will not allow you to title them for road use but you can put a Triangle on them and drive on the road for farm use. I have heard of a few states allowing them on secondary roads, just not the interstates. Top speed is a claimed 60mph.

The sides on the bed folds down to make a completley flat bed. and they get around 45+mpg !!! No all of them have dump beds but you can order one with it. Hunting camps are REALLY stsarting to suck these things up. This WILL be my next RUV no doubt.. My buddy has one and we packed it with cut and split firewood and it was loaded down with right around a cord. No problems hauling it at all.

You can check thewse little jokers out at www.japaneseminitrucks.com

Last edited:
Found the one I want !! It has a dump bed 4wd with diff lock and It even has an extended cab !!!! Not telling where this beauty is, find your own ;) LOL !!!

DSCF0182.JPG

I cut and split my firewood in the fall and winter, and leave it loosely piled in the woods until things dry out in the late spring or summer. I then drive my truck in as far as I can get it. I collect all the split wood with a Dr. power wagon, and load the truck. The Dr. works better than I expected it to. It handles grades and uneven ground really well and goes lots of places my tractor or truck won't. You still have to walk behind it (not sure how bad your knee is). The $1600 price tag may be hard to justify for doing just a couple of acres of firewood, but you'll find yourself using it for all your hauling needs around the house, and it's cheaper than a 4-wheeler or tractor and a trailer (tho not as fun).

Scott

There is a vehicle like that in the U.S. Here in the U.S. there's a gray area on whether it's street legal or not. If it has lights you can have it registered with the DNR as a hunting vehicle but you're not gonna be able to take the thing through bug cities. It's more of a rural or small town type of transportation they'll let you get away with. For something like what you're talking about check out samstrucks.com

I asked a seller on ebay if the Hijet was street legal. Will post the answer when I get it.

And here is the answer:

"No it is not legal. As far as I know, none of them are. I think you can get some sort of "farm" tags that allow you to go from farm to farm. But to my knowledge, none of them are street legal."

Would be nice of they were. They will do about 55 mph, and get 50 mpg or so. No wonder they aren't street legal! They would have to get 25 mpg to be street legal, right?:D

I use a Polaris 400 4wd and a John Deere trailer on my property. I have some pretty steep areas that I can access easily without tearing up the ground. I use the same trailer around the house behind a J.D. RX75 riding mower to move firewood or whatever. With a bad knee I don't know about the walk behind option but that's up to you. Kind of an expensive way to go but less pain may be worth it.

For that amount of land and wood I would get the smallest engined used 4x4 ATV you can find. Arctic Cat had/has a 250 cc model with a super low range, and with a little bush buggy trailer you could haul 400-500lbs of wood out no problem. 10 trips=1 cord
These types of quads aren't really in demand so they go pretty cheap.

Also, once jr. gets a bit older he can boot around on it without having 60hp to kill himself with and tear up your woodlot.
Ian

You know those micro-trucks are neat but I have it on good word that parts are hard to come by at least at the moment anyway. Working for a Powersports dealer selling parts I can tell you we get about 3-5 calls a month on these things cause the people that sell them say parts are easy to come by, but there not least not here in Michigan.

I use a Honda 300FW 4x4 I've pulled 3 trees around 20' 3-6" in dia. out of the woods with her and a woodring, works great and plows snow too!

I have started seeing more and more 250 to 400cc quads on the used market around here but many are in need of big time repairs. The best ones are the non belt driven types these units use a auto-clutch that you still need to shift. But that comes in handy when it comes to down shifting with heavy loads. The Honda TRX250 Recon 2x4, TRX300, TRX300FW, TRX400F, Suzuki LT2504DW and 3004WD, Kawasaki Buyou220, and Yamaha Bigbear300 lines are some of the hardest working little quads I rearly sell parts for. :D

LINK

Here is another similar vehicle on eBay. I have done some business with the seller and he is a stand-up guy.

LINK

Here is another similar vehicle on eBay. I have done some business with the seller and he is a stand-up guy.

If those mini trucks were street legal they would be the hottest thing since sliced bread in the US, and the price would likely escalate.

One more thought on this from me, the devil. Most things are a heck of a lot easier to move in the winter, with snow on the ground. I moved a few tobbogin loads just meesin around with my daughter, and I gotta tell you, it is much easyier than, wheels. Now you gotta have traction too with whatever you are pulling with. Also, keep in mind, stopping is harder too.
Build a sled of some sort, nothing fancy, just 1/2" plywood, atttach a good piece of rope, and find something to pull it with. Atv, mule, a come along or hioist tied to a tree or staked in the ground would work too.
Just some thoughts from the devil.

There is a vehicle like that in the U.S. Here in the U.S. there's a gray area on whether it's street legal or not. If it has lights you can have it registered with the DNR as a hunting vehicle but you're not gonna be able to take the thing through bug cities.

Anyone noticed that the Bug cities here are really getting to be a nuisance?

:hmm3grin2orange:

I cut the wood up in the woods, throw it in a dump cart, ATV it all out.
But I need a better method for the rugged terrain.

Last edited:
DR Carts

BTW: the DR (Country Home Products in Vermont) has a try-at-home offer for their products. It's for six months unconditional. You only have to pay return shipping. They are a great company to deal with. We did try two of their "home sized" products, a walk behind brush cutter and a chipper. Unfortunately neither of them worked well for us on uneven woods terrain. Their largest chipper would only chip logs under 4" easily. We tried.
The DR electric splitter has replaced the smelly, noisy gas one. It has performed well for 6 years, and does 90% of the splitting of our 5-6 cords/year of firewood. Quietly. I even sing :rockn: .
An elderly neighbor, 82, uses the DR cart for stones, brush, wood etc on his hilly lot.
It might work for your woodland. Better than going with an ATV and trailer if you're only hauling a couple of cords a year.
JMHO

How to get wood

Some fascinating iron, but there are more cost effective ways to get the wood out. Have you checked into a horse logger?

I've done work for several people with small woodlots who cut five or ten cords, wait about five years, and then cut another five or so. They usually work along with me and we usually do two cords a day.

My cut of the project is usually around $500 and/or a share of the wood.

The woodlot owners can still say they did a lot of it themselves, and they have no payments on a piece of iron.

Some fascinating iron, but there are more cost effective ways to get the wood out. Have you checked into a horse logger?

I guess that would be cheaper IF you already owned a horse and used them for other things also. I have 2 horses and they are anything but cheap to own. Hay, Vet bills. Farrier service.. shelters, fences... etc...

Back