How to grow fruit on a 60+ year old tangerine tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigi1

Reaction score
I have a very old tangerine tree which has been passed down to me. I have cared for it for over 20 yrs. It has only produced fruit for 5 or so seasons over this period. Because I live in northern NJ, I keep the tree indoors and move it outdoors each spring. The last time it produced fruit was 2 yrs ago. I re-pot it as necessary and fertilize every 2-3 wks. It's very healthy and leaves are brilliant green, lush with new growth. However, it does not flower, therefore produces no fruit. My question: Do I need to purchase another tangerine tree in order to create cross-pollination? If not, what can I do to encourage fruit production? Your answer is appreciated.

"Most varieties of mandarins are self-pollinated and self-fruitful, but some of the hybrids are self-incompatible and will produce few fruit without the presence of suitable pollenizer varieties nearby. Mandarins tend to alternate bearing, with a heavy crop in one year followed by a lighter crop in the next season."

from;

Home Fruit Production

Latest posts

Back