How to hire a climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just let a climber go when it was obvious he didn't have the ability he said he did. I told him he could continue to work, but at a pay cut. I would train him and get him up to par, but he didn't go for it. He claimed he had 4 years of climbing experience working for Asplundh, but the guy could barely flip a flipline.

Depending on which dept. he worked in at the big Orange, he could have easily climbed there 4 years and never spurred a tree. I've climbed with a lot of Orange trained climbers from different departments. Way different skillsets, but all were smart and safe. If he was with them 4 years he had a head on him, and wasn't a druggie. You might have lost out there.

I pick up side jobs at work but its only ever work that the company wouldn't get anyway, also don't do cashies on company time without the boss having full knowledge and while I'm on his time he gets all the money, simples

My time is a different story

The best way to find a good climber is to take a look at how he does everything else.

Back