how to make the ms290 run with the ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuck361

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 290 that I want to try and make run with my 361. I have heard that the bottom end is the same as the 390 just different jug and piston. Is it really that easy? Just get a 390 jug and piston bolt them up, do some tuning and presto its a 390? If so where can I get the jug and piston? I looked on baileys and didn't see much for the mid level saws. Did I over look it or am I looking in the wrong place? Also is there a big difference in the cutting ability of the .325 chain Vs. 3/8 ? I think I will switch the saw to 3/8 chain. To do so I will have to get a new drive sprocket won't I ? Thanks for the help...

I got a reasonable gain on my 290 with a simple muffler mod. The exhaust holes on the stock muffler are rediculously small. I widened out the holes and re-tuned the carb. In reality there is not all that much difference in cutting power between my 361 and my 290 now. You can also put a smaller bar on the 290 and it will keep up with the 361. You will get better feedback using the 290 too, w/o the springs. Your hands will be more tired with more vibration though, and er, it will be LOUDER after the muffler mod.

thanks for the replies.
Still looking for the part numbers for the jug and piston If that is all I need to convert the 290 to a 390.

Oh and by keep up with the 361 all I meant was to get it close to the same h.p.

I also have a 029 that it would be nice to have a bit of an increase in power. (If I had more money and experience when I bought the saw I would have gone for a 360) The thought of bolting on a 390 cylinder sounds easy - but then the price of very good used 390's is so low that it I am probably just going to sell my 290 and buy a working 390......or even better a nice used or new 360/361. I think that the price of a 390 piston/cylinder assembly is almost as much as a nice used 390.

I suppose if you could find a cheap 390 parts saw that had been run over or dropped you might be able to do the conversion affordably - but new Stihl parts will make the conversion expensive. I also wonder if it is possible to bolt a 390 cylinder onto the 290 bottom crankcase casting - those pieces may have been machined as a matching set and the bearings and seals may not fit right in the openings made by bolting two different case halves together. (Any comments from experienced mechanics?)

Ya can put lipstick on that pig but she'll Stihl be a pig!

Really it could be a fun project but there are so many limitations that it might not be the best project for a learning experience compared to some other saws. The cylinder not being separate from the crankcase is the biggie!

I believe this listing you have included indicates the cylinder/piston will work on all those saws - but the bore of the 290 and 390 are different (or maybe the listing is wrong). I don't have my manual with me here at work - but if I remember right the 290 piston is 2mm smaller than the 390 piston. I don't know about the bore of the 310 - maybe it is between the two.

I will look at my manual at lunch time and let you know what the bore difference is.

029 vs 039

029 Super has a 46 mm bore, 34 mm stroke, 56.5 cc, 3.8 hp, 12,500 rpm max.
039 has a 49 mm bore, same 34 mm stroke, 64.1 cc, 4.3 hp, 13,000 rpm max.

029 Super OEM piston/cyl kit: 1127-020-1210
039 OEM p/c kit: 1127-020-1213

Both saws have the same bottom end part numbers (crank/rod, bearings/seals, engine pan)
*these #s from an older 0xx series IPL. The 'new' 390 cyl has a compression release.

Unfortunately, all of the aftermarket p/c kits I've come across have been 029S-sized 46 mm. There may be 49 mm kits out there, but I've never seen one.

Like Windthrown said, there is some joy to be found with a simple muffler mod and mixture tweak. PM me an email addy and I can forward a description with clear pix & some tips/hints.

If one was spending on a new Stihl PC kit, it may as well be the 49mm (doubt there is much difference in price vs the 029S/290 PC) AND while one had it apart anyway, I bet there's a bit more joy to be found inside... for a little work.

Yes it is but it is also 2x the saw. My self I would sell the 029, (they bring decent money for a home owner saw) and buy a pro saw that could be easier to mod for less money and work. I believe a 039 oem cylinder and piston kit would be fairly expensive and I don't know of any aftermarket kits for the 039. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it! Rick!!!!!!!!

I fail to see any reason to compare the Stihl MS 290 to the Husky 372XP. Completely different leagues. In the movie, the modded 290 seems to keep up with the XP pretty well though, actually.

The 290 is a 290. I had one for years. They cut wood. They run good with 20 inch bars. They are fairly cheap in price, and for the money they run good. I get tired of people dissing them all the time. And comparing them to a saw twice the price is rather pointless. May as well compare the 372XP to a $1200 hotsaw or something. Does that make the 372 a piece of junk? Methinks not.

if you stihl have that ms 290 pull the plate over the screen and cut out the entire rectangle in the front of the muffler where the screen sits. the one i did
ran exccelent! the saw got alot louder, made better power, and was stihl legal to use in the woods. let the chips fly!

If you do bore out the 290 muffler though, be sure to richen up the carb H screw (cut the limiter tab off) or you will run it too lean from the increase in air flow and score the cylinder.

That 029 is mine, we just did that comparison because I had just got the 039 jug on the saw and had just recieved that like new 2000 model 372xp! The 029 is my Dad's saw, he bought it for 100 bucks from a neighbor that was moving out west. All that is done to the saw is a 039 piston and cylinder off a crank siezed saw that I got free from my local dealer. I ported the cylinder and installed the larger carb off the 039. I modded the muffler to just go straight out the front with no baffle just the factory screen with the cover cut wide open. The saw will EAT a stock 361 no problem at all, hangs with my woods ported MS360Pro pretty good also. The 372 was stock in that video and since then has been ported by Big Dave and hangs with a 066 all day long, and I agree, and would not trade it. It was just for fun! My Dad's is a real sleeper of a saw and he only has 139.00 in it as it sets, I did have to buy a Golf piston for it, but it was my first attempt and working on that style of saw, its a real pain working on the consumer style cases. Let me know if you I can help guide you any and I can send pictures if you need of the work I have done. Oh and I will take any stock 361 on for a challenge if someone does not believe that it will EAT it!
Mack

Looks like the 029 is the new basis for a new line of Arboristsite HotSaws. A fully opened up 390 will probaly have more power than a stock 361, yes... but a Lakerized 361 will probably beat it back. And your hands will feel more like your hands when you are done cutting with it for a few hours. And you may not be as deaf at the end of the process.

Good job though! :greenchainsaw:

From a DOA boat anchor to kick butt saw...

Hey 2000 I do not know your name but we I am in the upstate of SC and am wanting to get a GTG in our area, would you be interested, I got wood and I got a spot to hold it, I would be willing to have it down here and have gas and oil mix ready, I am wanting to try AV100 gas so I think it would be a great weekend if we could get a few guys together in our area and have some fun and make some saw dust, let me know if you are interested!
Mack

Latest posts

Back