How to pull over trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30' ÷ 6' = a factor of 5

How about 30,000# ÷ 5 = 6,000#?

Personally, I'd have left the front of the skidder in the air and driven in some wedges...  hahaha!

Glen

Hi Glens, I was gonna do that with the skidder in drive, but I didn't want to damage the residual stand.
I guess my question shows that I only went to grade nine. lol
John

What is the purpose boring center out?
I do not think that either way of notching/or not, limbs aloft is most suitable application or safer. Thou the notching does increase predictability and seperation into air the simple back cutting can reduce sway and movement.

Gypologger I bet you can pull them with that.

Last edited:
Apart from preventing grain pull on saw logs, it's done on smaller trees when you need to stuff a wedge in without the tip bottoming out in the backcut.

Last edited:
Aussie, Bad Aussie-making such an off topic post. The question was about PULLING trees. Tsk, tsk.:p
That looks like a messy method-all those roots to dispose of.:D

Originally posted by xtremetrees
I do not think that either way of notching/or not, limbs aloft is most suitable application or safer. Thou the notching does increase predictability and seperation into air the simple back cutting can reduce sway and movement.

You can use a notch to swing branches away from an obstacle, for instance.

So after all of the info presented on this site in the last few years there are those that still use techniques like a barberchair? ON PURPOSE? I cannot believe what I just read.

I learned the hard way about ten years ago pulling over leaning trees with a comealong hooked to a 3:1 pulling on a tree about 8' high. The holding wood failed under the pressure and the tree fell off the stump sideways and hit a shed. Almost killed us. I didn't know any better then and am thankful that I now know proper techniques.

To even think about such ludicrousy boggles my mind with the info and knowhow available on this site.

Steve.

If there's ever been a ligitimate situation to deliberately barberchair a tree, I've never come across it in 22 years of tree work.

Except, of course, making a video of what NOT to do... ;)

I'm going to cut Xtreme a teeny tiny bit of slack. Serveral years ago I had a situation where I deliberately barberchaired a pine. A wet snow followed by high winds had busted and bent a bunch of pines and one of them was bent several feet off the ground with the top almost parrallel to the ground extending straight over a garage. I roped the top and ,rigging off of another tree, I slowly cranked the top around 90*until it was parrallel to the garage wall. the tremendous pressures I was building in the butt of this skinny 8-9inchDBH tree made me leery of trying anything else fancy-I reached in carefully with the bar tip and back cut it and let it blow up since there was nothing that the butt could reach. 'Twisting on the stump' Xtreme says-Okay, It has an application. Nothing I would recommend for a normal situation.:angel:

Justin-

Looking back, you don't think there was a better way to do it?

Yeah, with a bucket. Since I didn't have that option and didn't trust the tree not to barberchair if I had tried cutting a notch before winching it sideways I selected what I did as the best option. It worked as planned so I guess I'd do THAT ONE over the same way. Older and wiser now, I'd charge a bunch more and rent a lift if I ever face a similar situation. I should mention that there were about 20 bent trees on the property and I practiced the sideways twist on some others in non-critical places to see if I could get away with it.

Originally posted by Stumper
I practiced the sideways twist on some others in non-critical places to see if I could get away with it.

Sounds just like Russian Roulette.

Maybe it was. I was trying to NOT simply try to be lucky. These were small trees and I had room to experiment and see how much I could flex them. I found that they wouldn't break with the rigging I was utilizing. I was able to stand some of them up and drop them in the desired direction by rigging high in neighboring trees. The one over the garage wouldn't stand back up-too much bend and too much weight without a very good overhead rigging point. I had the thing supported (roped)so that if it failed it wasn't going straight into the roof. I moved the tree around without being in the path if it came apart (love good rope) Making the backcut was a cause for concern. I leaned in and nipped it carefully and had another trunk to interpose between my body and the barberchair. It was stupid risk that I was trying to play smart-good results but I WOULD do it differently now.

Being cautious is kinda like being in the national guard...

You might not get as much action as the front line, but you WILL live to fight another day. ;)

Latest posts

Back