How to Remove Flywheel Bolts for Recoil Spool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am working on a Mcculloch Power Mac 6 those metal little top handle saws. And I need to replace one of the springs that is on the flywheel that the recoil spool hits and connects to when you pull the rope. But how do you pull the bolts out of the flywheel to replace the spring????

Attachments

• s-l1600 2.jpg
    s-l1600 2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 25
They look like they have a metal cap covering that hole on the bottom?? Do I push that through too?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 12
Okay well there is no way that those things come out from underneath that is definitely a weld there. I think my best bet would be to drill a small hole on the bottom beneath both screws and use a shop press to press old out and new ones in. But if I drill a hole are these flywheels balanced to prevent vibration on the saw? Or am I just making stuff up with that thought? LOL. Also this sound like a good idea cause I cant think of anything else???

You can fit them without removing the pawl. Just make sure the spring is the right way up then sort of thread it down over the pawl then tension it using needle nose pliers/small screwdriver.

Back