How to seal the pipe on back of stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to seal the pipe coming off the back of my stove. The stove is porcelain, and the existing pipe sets inside the stove flange. Previous owner had some aluminum looking 'tape' on there. I've moved it and need to reseal. It has a rope seal shoved in around the pipe where it enters the brick chimney.

Thanks

James

I need to seal the pipe coming off the back of my stove. The stove is porcelain, and the existing pipe sets inside the stove flange. Previous owner had some aluminum looking 'tape' on there. I've moved it and need to reseal. It has a rope seal shoved in around the pipe where it enters the brick chimney.

Thanks

James

I sealed around mine with Rutland furnace cement. It comes in a caulk tube and is good up to 2000 degrees according to the info on the tube. It was about four bucks at TSC.

I sealed around mine with Rutland furnace cement. It comes in a caulk tube and is good up to 2000 degrees according to the info on the tube. It was about four bucks at TSC.

As a dumb question...... when it comes time to disassemble, does the cement come apart?

I've been contemplating sealing up the pipe on my VC Defiant because I can hear it whistling a bit...... i figure i'm losing some draft.

If the tapered pipe fits into the stove's collar properly then you don't need to seal it at all. If your stove collar/pipe connection is sloppy then you might consider an appliance adapter which is meant to adapt the stove collar to the pipe on some stoves.

If all else fails and you need to goop some crap in there to make you feel better than the proper product is furnace cement. I use and prefer rutland black in either tube or tub.

As a dumb question...... when it comes time to disassemble, does the cement come apart?

I've been contemplating sealing up the pipe on my VC Defiant because I can hear it whistling a bit...... i figure i'm losing some draft.

It does come apart if it is moved a little. I think it is supposed to be used on parts that will not be moved. Seals up nicely.

Latest posts

Back