how to season wood quickly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NINETY? And one cord is going to last until February this year? I'm thinking typo, and if you have access to dead Ash you should be fine anyway, but if you really have that much split and stacked maybe you could sell some green and buy some seasoned, or find somebody willing to trade.

Ninety is right. I bought a Timberwolf TW-6 3 months ago and my buddy has a tree company so I've been hammering out the wood, just nothing seasoned for this year. The goal is to sell whatever we can make this winter for next year, then buy a processor (hopefully the Cord King) next season and build a business from the ground up. Pisses me off to go to the pile and see mountains of cut-split oak, maple and other hard woods but don't have enough to get me through the winter. We're hoping to get 600 done by May 1 so I can concentrate more on golf than firewood!!

Ninety is right. I bought a Timberwolf TW-6 3 months ago and my buddy has a tree company so I've been hammering out the wood, just nothing seasoned for this year. The goal is to sell whatever we can make this winter for next year, then buy a processor (hopefully the Cord King) next season and build a business from the ground up. Pisses me off to go to the pile and see mountains of cut-split oak, maple and other hard woods but don't have enough to get me through the winter. We're hoping to get 600 done by May 1 so I can concentrate more on golf than firewood!!

90 cords aint enough for winter???????????

My woodburner is in my garage which is 4 feet from my house, so I have a bit of room to work with. I have a woodbox sheeted with corrugated metal with a tarp on the front. I have an 8in line run from the top of the plenum on the stove to the side of the box. When it gets too warm in the house I open the damper and dump the heat into the wood box. It holds close to 2 face cords which will last me about 1 1/2 weeks.

On the side of the stove I stack two rows of wood, again about 2 face cords. On the side of the plenum I have a register vent that I keep cracked open to heat the barn. It blows onto the stacked wood, I also have a rolling rack the holds about 3/4 of a face cord that I keep at the back of the stove near the chimney.

I have next years wood cut and stacked. It is mostly oak so it needs more than a year to season to burn the way I like it. I can say without a doubt that the 2 weeks in the various drying spots make a huge difference. That hot dry air just sucks the moisture out.

My next project will be building a kiln to dry project lumber. I want to build a metal box onto the cold air return, wrap the chimney with 8 inch pipe and use the fans to pull the hot air into the kiln.

Roger

Latest posts

Back