How to tell my grandpa he's getting old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've received some great advice. I'd take the "teach me" advice. He would prolly take great pride in you asking him to teach you. Brad give you good advice on the angles. Take a look at the grinding wheel also, if he's been using it for years and hasn't dressed it, or it's simply wore out you may just need to get him a new grinding wheel. Enjoy every moment you can while he is here, ask him anything that you want to know from him, I can tell you from personal expierence having lost both granddad's and my father you'll often wish you could have one more day, one more minute to talk to them, cherish the time you have left with him.

My grandfather died when I was little and my father was hurt in the woods when I was 12 so my uncle filled in. I just started his saw everyday for him and warmed it up with the rest of them. I can tell you ya miss not having the wood trailer backed tight to the wood while your loading up. He couldn't do much hard work but he could sure make yours easier.

Sounds like you guys have multiple saws. Probably running different chains. Ask grandpa if you can help him set up the new grinder next to the other one so you can have the right set-up for two different types of chain. And learn how to do it yourself. As others have said, he probably would be happy to show you how and even if you aren't getting chains back as sharp as they were, he obviously knows how to do it as apparently they were sharp in the past. If you ask him to show you he may think "It's about time that boy showed some interest in this, he dulls them but is never around when it's time to get them sharp!" At any rate, it's an important skill to acquire so take advantage of it while you have the opportunity. I never had a grandpa but it would have been nice.

Some good advice here.I hope that you will take it to heart.Assuming that his vision is impair, what are his chances of him having cataracts in his eyes? My father is now 79 and he wants to buy a grinder. Trouble is he does not want to listen to anyone and his sight is failing.Best of luck, and I will say that you have made a wise decision in asking for some help, Ken

Your Gramps is a gift, so what if his grinding is going down the tubes.

Learn to use a file, and spend as much time with him as you can,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He aint going to be there forever.

I bet there is a ton of stuff you can learn from him.

The Indians had the utmost respect for their elders, for good reason.

This.

I was orphaned in college. I would kill to have a grandfather as active as yours. Treat him with dignity and respect. No need to be condescending, and no need to tell him how to live his life. I would just refile what he ground for me and smile and keep coming back and cherish the time we had.

Grandfathers are men to be treasured and revered. I know that I surely revered my Grandpa, my buddy. My Gramps died one month before I graduated from High School back in 1975. I miss him still.

My Dad is still around though, and at the age of 86 is really slowing down, due to back deterioration, and macular degeneration. We used to always cut wood together up 'till a couple of years ago, but now I have to do it alone. He still can get down the basement stairs to load his wood furnace, but I fear that one day he will take a hard tumble.

Every year we have a little discussion about wood for the next year. He says that he doesn't think he will be up to burning wood, and I tell him that he is full of BS. Of course I don't win the argument right off, but then after a week or two, he talks about a stand of wood on our property that should be thinned out this year. So I go and cut about five cords for him, stack it in the sun to dry, and then finally haul it into his basement. He always bemoans the fact that he can't help cut and split anymore.

He still wants to make all the decisions even now. We have these little conversations about other things as well, and he never gives in right away. He is still in charge! But I don't mind a bit, because he is still around and I know that he doesn't have many summers left.

I guess that by telling the OP about my situation, he will realize that sometimes you can sort of "nudge" a person in the right direction even though they won't admit it right away. If it were me I would just ask Gramps to teach him to sharpen chains,,,,and if he doesn't get a response, well, wait a little while, and approach him again and say something like,,,,,"Well, are you going to show me how to do it today, or do I have to learn all by myself?" Do it with some humor.

I bet it will work.

Bob

Treat him like a man, he knows how old he is. Take your saw and a piece of wood over, ask him reckon why this chain is not cutting right. Everyone makes a few mistakes along the way. You're not going to break his heart. Most likely he can solve the problem and can use that that information on sharpening other chains. That might be a good time for you to start your training. I doubt that he wants too much ##### footing, didn 't get to be 81 that way. Honesty is always best in my opinion. I'll bet he doesn't need any sympathy for being older. He's been thru the woods and can understand. Love him and treat him as if he was 50, tell him I have some testostrone I can send he if he needs it(I'll bet he doesn't need it). No excuses please! He's not that old.
Kurf

I don't have a grandson that takes interest in saws or wood and would enjoy giving a youngster a few life lessons if asked but I don't see that happening in my life time. Enjoy what you have and see if an old dog can learn a new trick or two. Seeing how our memories and eyesite go fast it probably is a reading issue with your grandpa. Check the angle dial yourself and correct it without his knowledge and let him grind away.

I don't have a grandson that takes interest in saws or wood and would enjoy giving a youngster a few life lessons if asked but I don't see that happening in my life time. Enjoy what you have and see if an old dog can learn a new trick or two. Seeing how our memories and eyesite go fast it probably is a reading issue with your grandpa. Check the angle dial yourself and correct it without his knowledge and let him grind away.

The only problem I thought of with the underlined text above would be if he noticed the angle changed and finds out you did it.

One possible idea would be to ask him if different chains require different angles. It's possible that someone did change the angle on him and he hasn't noticed it and the chains are not getting sharp.

I agree with what most everybody else was saying... Ask him to teach you to do it..

I would tell him that you were chatting with the guys on this site, and you felt a little inferior, because most of us knew how to sharpen, but you don't... Let him be the hero and teach you to do it. He will feel usefull. Or ask him to teach you, so you can pass the knowledge on to your kids when the time is right.

I'll bet he has done some great sharpening in the past. Very few commercial grinders do it right anymore. Sometimes you will get a chain back that cuts great, and sometimes it will be worse than it was before. So many people don't recognize the pitch and chain size before hitting the teeth. I prefer to hand file. But I can tell you one thing from experience. Older folks get more out of "thinking" that they are helping you than you would get out of actually being helped. My father has gotten into a very similar state as your grandfather, so sometimes I will ask his advice or help on something, and it seems to make his day.

Ask Gramps to teach you everything about grinding chains, and pay attention. The angles are available on the Oregon, Carlton,Windsor, Stihl websites.

Odds are he ain't slipping gears one bit, but his eyeballs are failing him a smidge now and then. Work with him, and enjoy the time learning from him, while ya can.

stay safe!
Dingeryote

That would be the best thing to do in my opinion it would work best for the both of you you could sharpen your chains without making him feel like he cant do it good enough.

Thanks everybody for all the replies. My choice of topic about telling my grandpa he's getting old isn't the way I wanted it to come out. I read all of these replies and been thinking about my grandpa all day. I called and talked to grandma today and sunday I am going down to take some chains and clean grandpals chimney. I will ask him to teach me and we will see were it goes. I could never tell him he is doing it wrong. I have so many great memories of my grandpa cutting wood, vacations, fishing trips to canada. I think I will tell him how much I really appreciated every memory I have of him, he's been such a great grandpal and I just wanted to tell him that. Thanks again!

Back