How To Wire Firebox Blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:help: Does anybody know how i can wire my blower for the firebox direct and bypass installing a thermostat...i do have a switch on the side of the furnace to turn it on or off if i want but it will only come on with a thermostate installed....thanx Dan...i have a firechief 500 furnace.http://www.firechiefwoodfurnace.com/Portals/0/owners manual.pdf wiring diagram page 8

Why do want to run this furnace without a thermostat? If your trying to keep your fan running on all the time' with a heat only thermostat "2wires"...That's a different story. Get a new thermostat with a Heat and fan switch, You can switch to HEAT or FAN only ,Fire or not ''FAN ON ONLY'' will run the fan on all the time. And still have Limited control of heat with fan in Off Position..The Wiring to your limited control switch I will leave to the ''Experts'' ...You said wire my blower for the firebox direct and bypass installing a thermostat? Thats sound like make it run ? Cut the 2 wires before the thermostat and connect . Use your switch on the side of you furnace for and off ...Not Recommended ! But' Why Bybass the thermostat anyway again?

Put a limit switch on the side. Not sure what the firechief looks like but a limit switch will cycle the blower on/off. They are adjustable to turn on/off at different temp settings.

Also a snap disk switch can be used. They come in many different temp ratings. These items can be bought at heating/cooling stores. And I think graingers also.

Hope this helped you out

Thanx guys, but I'am talking about the little blower that induces air into the firebox...i would like to control it manual instead of having it come on only with the thermostat... thanx, Dan:popcorn:

You want that little blower on a thermostat. It is wired on the furnaces thermostat for a reason. You disconnect that blower from its relay and limit, and if you forget about it, You could burn your house down. Those little blowers are on the limit controls for a reason, if it kicks on and gets the firebox too hot, it will kick off due to the limit. If you don't wan't it to run all of the time, set the thermostat lower. Otherwise if you set it for 70 degrees on a cold winter day, and the furnace can't keep up with the heat demand then something is wrong. I have a different furnace, but the same setup. Mine Never Runs. The only time it has ran when the windchill was 20 below. Otherwise our home never drops below 75, 76 in the winter. Our LP furnace is set for 65, our wood furnace is set at 70. Our heats so well it never kicks in. Just keep it how it is, I wouldn't change it....Trust me.

Thanx guys, but I'am talking about the little blower that induces air into the firebox...i would like to control it manual instead of having it come on only with the thermostat... thanx, Dan:popcorn:

If you mean the "draft fan" in the upper right of the wiring diagram, disconnect the black wire from this fan from the red wire in the 4 x 4 electrical box, then connect it to the black wire coming from the power supply. Then the switch on the "draft fan" will control that fan. But...

Warning: Modifying the wiring probably will void any warranties, may be bypassing certain safety designs of the unit, and would possibly void your homeowners insurance if a fire results due to this modification. You are doing this at your own risk. I suggest you consult with the manufacturer before making any modifications, disconnect power before making any modifications, and only have a qualified electrician make the modifications.

Here we go again......

Laynes: Props too you my friend!!!!! Leave that SOB draft inducer alone. Why in the world would you bypass t-stat? Run all the time, christ, your firebox will be glowing red from all the heat generated in there. Leave as is. I'll assume the switch is a maintenance switch for UL reasons. Has nuttin to do with operation of unit. Why would you want to run stove 100% high heat, man that thing will chew the wood?

I would rather have you save a moderate amount of $$$ and leave as is:, Then wire direct, more heat, save a crapload of $$$, but then read your home burnt down.

Last edited:
OK OK!! did not mean to get a few of ya's excited, only ask a simple question..but one thing in common ya all have is you are concerned about me and my family's safety and that is GREAT!!! Thank You all Very Much.:agree2: :cheers:

OK OK!! did not mean to get a few of ya's excited, only ask a simple question..but one thing in common ya all have is you are concerned about me and my family's safety and that is GREAT!!! Thank You all Very Much.:agree2: :cheers:

Dwinch53 Well, I think we figured it out now. What you stated about bypass installing a thermostat. You meant just bypassing the Forced Draft Blower from your thermostat? Otherwise the Draft blower is turning ''On'' More Often and burning hotter, Using more wood faster than you desire feed it? That would be simple question.? If this is what were talking about ?. If the draft blower is kicking on more often than it should, You might want to check the ''Factory settings'' Who knows these days who did the factory setting's or Quality control. As someone else stated it is adjustable. That Fire Chief looks like a great unit ...Good luck be safe!

If you want an easy way to do it PM me with your email address and ILL explain a very simple way, and the pro and cons of doing that. By the way, Im an electrical contractor. and i had a fire chief furnace

Twin: Just curious to your solution to his question. Post this schematic or at least tell us how this is done your way? Sure it can be done easy, but how bout safe? Has nuttin to do with electricity, just the fire control were concerned about. Heck, you go private now on this subject, neg. rep. will be delt out a plenty.:censored:

firechief furnace

twincam, how did you like your fire chief? what model was it and why do you not have it now...and on the wiring for the small firebox blower i have decided to just go with thermostat....my thoughts were to turn it on manually for a few minutes while refueling and then turn it off manually, but if i should forget then the safety issue comes in play...but thanx alot for your offer

Back