How was your day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humble of you to post this. I'd feel like a complete dumba$$.
I gotta' tell ya, after the initial shock wore off I did feel like a complete dumbazz... still do.
But I figure if just one person thinks about it at the next set of tracks they cross, and it prevents something like this (or worse), my bit of embarrassment is worth it.
That was some damn scary crap... it happens a lot easier and faster then a guy thinks... and a train shows no forgiveness to the dumbazz.

sorry spider... guess I should have read the op post before replying! good to know you are "AOK"... guess I should not take post's at face value... LOL@ chucker, BRAINLESS sometimes! lol
It's all good... and the BRAINLESS guy was the guy hit by the train :oops:

By-the-way, the Railroad Law Enforcment guy (I didn't realize RRs had their own police) told me that, on average, there's a train/vehicle collision every three hours in the United States. He was telling me that to make me feel better about being such a dumbazz... it didn't help... but it is an interesting statistic.

...b'cause mine sucked.
This is what happens when you don't get stopped in time at a rural railroad crossing.
I can't even begin to explain to you how big a train looks when it coming straight at you.
I've always wondered what sort'a dumb-azz gets hit by a train... well... today I was the dumb-azz.
Guys... when you're out in the sticks scroungin' your firewood, don't get complacent at those cow-path-like RR crossings.
I was lucky... I walked away.

View attachment 495135 View attachment 495136
If you only knew how many close calls I have about everyday almost hitting a car on the track, you would crap your britches. After 40years of running up and down the track, It never ceases to amaze me at the folks that will just fly across the tracks with a cellphone stuck to their ear or texting up a storm and never even look to see if anything is about to run over them. Our equipment rule book says we are supposed to approach prepared to stop and not enter until the way is known to be clear. I can tell you from experience that if you slow down approaching a rrxing, some idiot will try to shoot the gap and run out in front of you. And dont expect crossing gates to provide any protection, folks just run around them.

Several years back there was a triple fatality at a set of double tracks near my place. One train cleared crossing going east and family started across and got smoked by a west bound train moving pretty fast. Just glad you are alright Spidy.

If you only knew how many close calls I have about everyday almost hitting a car on the track, you would crap your britches.
I believe ya'.
I spend a lot of time on the road for work, a lot of it in rural areas... I've seen those idiots "shoot the gap" and always shake my head.
When I saw that locomotive coming it was almost on top of me... I had a choice (of my own dumbazz making) to hit the brakes or hit the throttle... I chose the brakes. I really believe, as close as it was, if I'd have hit the throttle it would've been much worse... I believe it would'a t-boned me right behind my seat. I just flat didn't see (or notice) the darn thing through all the brush growing along the tracks... however, if I would'a been paying closer attention...?? I've driven across those tracks, at that spot, maybe 50 times... maybe more. Heck, I was only driving maybe 30 MPH... but I just couldn't get it stopped in time on that loose gravel.
You can bet your azz this dumbazz will be slowing way down until I have a clear view of the tracks in both directions for the rest of my life... certainly an experience I never want again.

brush.jpg

Glad you walked away!! aren't train conductors supposed to blow their horn before coming to a crossing? did he not blow his horn? or did you not hear it?

I don't remember hearing a horn... but things happened pretty fast.
Windows were rolled up, heater blower was on, radio was on, tire noise from the gravel road (shrug)... and my thoughts were on the next job site.
wheeeeeeehhhuuuu!!! glad your here,,WS!! do I have to get svk,,to ride with you,,and keep you alert??? :D:D

Humble of you to post this. I'd feel like a complete dumba$$. Glad you're alright. We have a few of those crossings around luckily not anywhere near where my 16yo drives.

yes, I agree! glad u r ok! WOW, what a wake up call! sometimes I think... well, I mite post up this 'screw up' at AS... give the guys a good laff... then I come to my senses... "naw, they would prob think I am just a one-of-the-mill... D. A. kinda guys! I hope you had an extra one of those cold ones, seems to me you earned it. of course, I am wondering if was just a WHAM BAM! kinda deal... or OMG! :D:surprised3::mad:... as you saw it was happening... or... maybe you were oblivious to it al... texting!

sorry, about last one... couldn't resist! :)

nice pix of lazy, dog day country road... what are the odds a train would come by just as you want to cross... given what appears to be an isolated location? !!

thanks for sharing... your post won't go to waste... I will, for one, consider it a 'guiding light!'

I know some might not know this, but trains have black boxes too. The engines also have a camera mounted on the sides that videos whats up ahead. I can guarantee that the train that Spidey hit had the tapes pulled before it left the scene. The tapes will show Spidey driving into the crossing and will also tell if the engineer was blowing his horn and also how fast the train was running. My bet is he was and Spidey was distracted, which is often the case with train/vehicle collisions. Like someone else said, I think Spidey should go buy a lottery ticket because he was very lucky this time.

I can guarantee that the train that Spidey hit...
No... no... no... the train hit me‼
It hit me on the left front, just ahead of the wheel, about ½ second after I came to a complete stop.
If I'd have been driving just a couple MHP slower, and got stopped just a couple feet sooner, I could have called it a "close call."
Something tells me they didn't write the train a citation for failure to stop though :oops:

When I saw the title of this thread, I was going to write and share a really good day today. But, WS, your good fortune outwieghed mine and I'm glad! You contribute a lot of good information and humor on this forum. We would have missed you.

Your close call makes me pause and think about what's important. Think I'll hug the wife and son a little longer tonight.

There's a whole bunch of small, rural crossing where I live. I'll be thinking of you and driving more slowly over them from now on.

Latest posts

Back