How was your day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe I should post the same clip again? lol.

just remember arguing online is like competing in the special Olympics....

.......................its stressful for you but fun for the rest of us to watch.

you
Ah, spring has sprung on AS. @Whitespider does something that turns out poorly for him, documents it, describes it, and seemingly accepts what are, after all, the consequences of his own actions. Five pages of comments liberally salted with the evidently unmedicated gobshitery of @olyman later, the story has now subtly changed: instead of scuffling his toe and saying he's sorry, now The Man is keeping the Spider down. As the forum turns...
make note of spideys reply above. your another troll of AS...that's what trooools are,,gobs of ...............what are your other aliases??? pffft..you must attend political every day for your dose of BS........are golughis...casssssey tree, del, or what alias are you...........

I have never hit a train but once almost was hit by a train as i sat and waited for it to pass. It ended up derailing in front of me, it was a train of pulpwood going to the mill in brunswick GA. 7 cars of wood on their side before it stopped.

I have never hit a train but once almost was hit by a train as i sat and waited for it to pass. It ended up derailing in front of me, it was a train of pulpwood going to the mill in brunswick GA. 7 cars of wood on their side before it stopped.
with some of the tracks out there,,its a wonder it dont happen more often.....

This hit the news up here , an internal report not meant to be released http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/high-risk-rail-crossings-1.3530315
Not related directly to WS's accident but we have high risk crossings up here and not meant to deflect/change/etc WS's experience/outcome but perhaps you guys have the same list .
As WS's has pointed out , don't be complacent at these unmarked crossings .

al-k mentioned a train derailing right in front of him. The railroad still uses camp cars to house the workers. These camp cars are parked in a siding somewhere right next to the main track. a few years ago, in Fargo Ga, a thru train coming out of Jacksonville fl. derailed right beside the camp cars full of men. Part of the derailed cars actually landed on the company trucks parked outside the camp cars. While there is no mistaking the dangers of crossing the tracks at a hyway crossing, but try living in a trailer parked 6 or 8 foot from the actual track with trains passing at track speed.

As WS's has pointed out , don't be complacent at these unmarked crossings .

The bigger picture is 'don't be complacent when driving. (Or, if listening to your wife when she is talking. Well there you go. See how easy it is to get side tracked and let your mind wander off.) Point is. You might miss something important. And I bet each of us gets in a car and drives somewhere every day.
Guy called in to Car Talk. It's a very funny public radio show with two brothers hosting. He had been leasing a car in the past and wanted to purchase this time, and had narrowed his choices down to three high end cars that he had already test driven: a Mercedes, a BMW, and a Cadillac. The caller was at an impasse because they were all very, very nice cars. Immediately, without hesitation, they threw out the BMW. Why so quickly he asked. "When you went on the test drive did the salesman go with you?" Yes, he did. "Who turned on the radio?" The salesman had. Aaha! And that's because you can't drive, and scroll through a 'menu' of fifteen things, on the cars navigation screen, in a car that makes 90 miles an hour feel like your going 30. What brilliant engineer thought of that!

al-k mentioned a train derailing right in front of him. The railroad still uses camp cars to house the workers. These camp cars are parked in a siding somewhere right next to the main track. a few years ago, in Fargo Ga, a thru train coming out of Jacksonville fl. derailed right beside the camp cars full of men. Part of the derailed cars actually landed on the company trucks parked outside the camp cars. While there is no mistaking the dangers of crossing the tracks at a hyway crossing, but try living in a trailer parked 6 or 8 foot from the actual track with trains passing at track speed.
freaking moly!!!!

freaking moly!!!!

About ten years ago, there was a massive derailment on a main line high speed freight track near Sweetwater, TN. Since my grandson was so fascinated by trains, we went to view the wreck site some months later. I was rather astonished to see how mangled all the remaining cars still were scattered all around the site. It took a heck of a lot of energy to create such destruction. I've taken rides on some of the very high speed express trains they run in Europe, at around 140+ mph. Image having one of those hit you!

About ten years ago, there was a massive derailment on a main line high speed freight track near Sweetwater, TN. Since my grandson was so fascinated by trains, we went to view the wreck site some months later. I was rather astonished to see how mangled all the remaining cars still were scattered all around the site. It took a heck of a lot of energy to create such destruction. I've taken rides on some of the very high speed express trains they run in Europe, at around 140+ mph. Image having one of those hit you!
about 4 yrs ago,,the CN had a SLIGHT wreck, 900 feet from me.....my shop is 300 feet to the north,,and the tracks are 80 ft further north....I was walking into the shop, train going by to the east,,and I heard a damn squealing..LOUD. ??????? I stepped into the shop,,with the doors CLOSED. and heard a sound like dyn going off!!! wonder????? looked down the tracks,,train was stopped!! hmmmmmmm. walked down there,,holy moly!!! seems the one enguuunear..was supposed to check the certain three cars,,as one had tripped the temp sensor for the axles, at ia falls..30 miles back!!! wellllllll, the idiot didn't check correct,,and the bearing seized,,and the axle broke loose just west of town,,and was being dragged over the tracks!!!! popping bolts on the tie bars for a mile!!! one hit my bldg., missing door glass by about I inch from the dent location...the car in que, then caught the axle just right,,and that car jumped the tracks,eating tracks as it was moving,,,and the FULL grain cars,,started to stack one right against the other,,till 30 some were stacked together,,and broke open!!!! and when it tore the tracks,,the bed got ripped 10 foot deep in one spot!!! and that,,in a VERY wet area!! that track was down for a week till it got all blt back up,,and the tracks put in...........I talked to a lineman about 3 months later,,that idiot got fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there were rail dogs there about 1 hr later,,and there were asses..........

about 4 yrs ago,,the CN had a SLIGHT wreck, 900 feet from me.....my shop is 300 feet to the north,,and the tracks are 80 ft further north....I was walking into the shop, train going by to the east,,and I heard a damn squealing..LOUD. ??????? I stepped into the shop,,with the doors CLOSED. and heard a sound like dyn going off!!! wonder????? looked down the tracks,,train was stopped!! hmmmmmmm. walked down there,,holy moly!!! seems the one enguuunear..was supposed to check the certain three cars,,as one had tripped the temp sensor for the axles, at ia falls..30 miles back!!! wellllllll, the idiot didn't check correct,,and the bearing seized,,and the axle broke loose just west of town,,and was being dragged over the tracks!!!! popping bolts on the tie bars for a mile!!! one hit my bldg., missing door glass by about I inch from the dent location...the car in que, then caught the axle just right,,and that car jumped the tracks,eating tracks as it was moving,,,and the FULL grain cars,,started to stack one right against the other,,till 30 some were stacked together,,and broke open!!!! and when it tore the tracks,,the bed got ripped 10 foot deep in one spot!!! and that,,in a VERY wet area!! that track was down for a week till it got all blt back up,,and the tracks put in...........I talked to a lineman about 3 months later,,that idiot got fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there were rail dogs there about 1 hr later,,and there were asses..........

We had an incident happen here in my town about a year or two ago. I woke up one morning, checked my facebook, and saw in the top news story that parts of my town were being ordered to evacuate. WTF? A car carrying isocyanate, I believe it was, caught on fire, and one of the combustion products is hydrogen cyanide gas, the stuff they used to use in gas chamber executions. A big bunch of the first emergency responders had to be hospitalized, and the emergency crews quickly had to wear gas masks and hazmat suits. It happened in the middle of the night and cops were going up and down the streets getting everybody up and out of bed. What happened was wheel bearing failures, a couple chemical cars derailing, and one catching on fire. We dodged a bullet cause there were a lot of propane cars also in that train and more isocyanate cars. The whole thing could have gone up in a big fireball and gassed everybody. What probably saved the situation is that the train wasn't traveling very fast at the time it happened.

We had an incident happen here in my town about a year or two ago. I woke up one morning, checked my facebook, and saw in the top news story that parts of my town were being ordered to evacuate. WTF? A car carrying isocyanate, I believe it was, caught on fire, and one of the combustion products is hydrogen cyanide gas, the stuff they used to use in gas chamber executions. A big bunch of the first emergency responders had to be hospitalized, and the emergency crews quickly had to wear gas masks and hazmat suits. It happened in the middle of the night and cops were going up and down the streets getting everybody up and out of bed. What happened was wheel bearing failures, a couple chemical cars derailing, and one catching on fire. We dodged a bullet cause there were a lot of propane cars also in that train and more isocyanate cars. The whole thing could have gone up in a big fireball and gassed everybody. What probably saved the situation is that the train wasn't traveling very fast at the time it happened.
where I retired from..they used that gas,,to set the cores in the foundry...the stuff on the sand,,bonded when hit with it...soooooooo. one guy that did it in the old foundry,,got a cleaner and better job doing it in the new foundry..all of a sudden one day,,he don't show at work??????? never missed, less planned???????????? hmmmmmm. brother work in sand lab at the time..and he kissed many salarieds anal cavitys...............he found out,,that the guy had been doing this for years on the mold setting machine,,with no mask!!!!!!!!!!! guess what?? his whole nervous system failed on him...I/e,,he could control NO bodily functions.........they retired him with a gross amount of money,,which I bet the union got a cut,,as it was all kept hush, hush......they send him to az..where he wouldn't be found..along with his family....underhanded as all get out...management......and union..my bro,,didn't kiss so much after that incident.......thats the rotten fish smell you get driving by a foundry.............

I have worked a lot of derailments over the years. Always a mess. Used to be the railroads had derricks in various locations and railroad folks did all the cleanups. Now days, they are specialized companies that are always on call for emergencies. Those folks show up and we just set on the sidelines until they clear the wreck and then its 24/7 until we put the track back together. My last derailment I was called out a 12:30am and didnt get in bed for over 60hrs straight. Talk about a walking zombie. I wasnt in bed for more than an hour or two when they called and wanted me back. I never heard the phone ring.

I used to do "urban camping" in my younger days with a buddy of mine in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. We were camping on railroad property, next to his house. The Cleveland Amtrak uses this line, along with huge coal trains pulled by as many as five engines going uphill. We'd get a nice campfire going in a little fire pit in the middle of a bunch of bushes and maybe roast some steaks, drink some beer, and watch the heavy snow pile up to over a foot sometimes. The tracks were about a hundred feet from our camping spot. Our fire wasn't too visible and it was a good windbreak in the middle of a typical howling Cleveland snowstorm that comes in off Lake Erie. Everything shuts down and changes during those big northeast storms. The engineers in those trains must have seen a few of our campfires and gatherings of a bunch of guys drinking beer around a fire in the middle of a blizzard. That seemed to be the time to do it without having to worry about any "officials" showing up and running us outa there. The trains put on quite a show, especially the multi-engine ones pulling a very long train of heavy stuff coming up the grade. One rig we saw had five engines pulling it I think, and in the middle of the line of engines was a yellow painted diesel rig shaped different and with a big Union Pacific logo on it. The turbochargers on that thing were howling like an F-104 almost, all those spooled up diesels were making a really nice rumble - you could almost feel it shaking the ground. There was another set of tracks on the other side of our camp as well, used a lot less often by very slow and small freight trains, or maybe call them fright trains. The cars would rock back and forth a lot on that track, no way an Amtrak could run on that. Amtraks were always cool to see when they came through, pretty fast when they were cruising downhill.

An incident happened at this place after I'd moved away from Cleveland and my buddy was still there. Our old camping spot had been obliterated and replaced by a big container shipping terminal. We were right next to a large industrial zoned part of Maple Hts. A lot of heavy electrical cable powered all the lights at that terminal and those cables were stretched above the train tracks. A drunk one night comes roaring around the turn too fast not far from my buddy's auto shop and hits the electrical pole holding all those cables up going to the terminal across the tracks, and also on to the shopping district on the other side of the tracks. This turn is maybe 100 feet from the train tracks, which are about 30 feet below the level of the road, gives those lines some height without building a tower. Drunk cuts the pole down and the power lines go down with it. Unfortunately there was a train coming through at the same time as the wreck. This was a very busy track, and sometimes it took a while for a long slow moving train to go by. The train snagged the wires, and down everything came in a whole neighborhood. Telephone poles and wires came down, along with streetlights. The residential street had their service entrance wires yanked off their homes and laying in their front yards or their driveways. My buddy was coming back late from a fishing trip and had to go to a motel instead. The streets were barricaded off, wasn't allowed to even walk through that tangled mess of wires and poles, and everybody had to stay inside. This area offered three phase power, so the wiring on those poles was probably heavy duty and dangerous. The dude that wrecked was thrown out of his car, no seatbelt, and wadded himself up under a parked car in the parking lot of the bar there. After hitting the pole the car careened into the front of the bar and ended up inside where the tables were. Good luck that nobody was sitting in that spot. The people in the neighborhood had this experience. Bang - bang - car hits pole and front of bar. Then bang bang bang bang bang bang bang with electrical arcs making fireworks, poles going down, and bang when your power gets ripped off your home and it all goes dark. Everybody coming out very timidly yelling to their neighbors wtf just happened? That train engineer probably didn't notice a thing when he hit the downed power lines. The guy that caused it all probably would never have dreamed that his crazy driving was about to cause millions in damages. Imagine being the dude's insurance company had he lived and walked away from the crash. You going to insure somebody whose wreck shut down a major shipping terminal and tore up the entire electrical system of a city block, yanking service entrance cables off homes and factory buildings? Would this guy have been presented with a bill from somebody, telling him the total amount of the damages?

Latest posts

Back