How 'wooding' should always be.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friend asked me to fall and cut up a dead black locust. Offered to pay me but I didn't ask for that. All I had to do was fall and buck, he would do all the clean-up. I got some 8 cords of green black locust off the same patch back in 93 or 96 when a tornado cut a swath through the county. His patch was like jackstraws with trees down every which way. Figured I owed him. He said 'the tree is out in the open, nothing around'. Now where have I heard that before :).

Anyhow I loaded up the car this morning (no need for the gas hog truck) and headed out. He was right. Tree out there in the middle of nothing, fall it any direction. Dead with bark peeling. I figured an hour. Yep, it would have been more like 1/2 hour if I had remembered to take the ditty box with the fuel oil along. I had three saws 361, 310, 192T and ran every one bone dry. Left about 10ft of the small end still to be cut.
One beautiful tree. Straight log all the way, 24" DBH, almost no side stubs, no 'branching' at all until right at the top.

freind2_zpsb9jmolwz.jpg

That is the first and only tree I have ever cut that I didn't have to deal with the trash.

Before all the comments start. I moved the car up there after the tree was on the ground.
and even then it was a good 20 ft from the tree.

Harry K

After a long and just plain un-pleasant time spent dragging the brush from a large Oak I took down in my lawn this winter, to a piling place in my woods, I learned that new thing you are supposed to pick up every day.

A young man who saw some of my pictures of that project approached me. He is a "landscape artist" and wondered if I'd be interested in selling some of my brush as he had a commission to build a brush fence, and wanted a significant supply. He and his crew came this week with a F250 and a 16' trailer. They sorted and drug the "good stuff" for half a day loading truck and trailer. Wish I had made the connection before I drug it all into the woods. But an FYI, brush for landscape artists doesn't need to season.

After a long and just plain un-pleasant time spent dragging the brush from a large Oak I took down in my lawn this winter, to a piling place in my woods, I learned that new thing you are supposed to pick up every day.

A young man who saw some of my pictures of that project approached me. He is a "landscape artist" and wondered if I'd be interested in selling some of my brush as he had a commission to build a brush fence, and wanted a significant supply. He and his crew came this week with a F250 and a 16' trailer. They sorted and drug the "good stuff" for half a day loading truck and trailer. Wish I had made the connection before I drug it all into the woods. But an FYI, brush for landscape artists doesn't need to season.
Take me to this person!

that's the kind you like to cut. when we had that kind of tree we would cut 11 footers out of it and make hand split rails for the battlefield at Gettysburg. paid better than firewood.:yes:

I've split a few myself. It's kinda fun chasing that split down the log. It still surprises me after all these years that as hard as Black Locust is, it splits easy.

Harry K

I've split a few myself. It's kinda fun chasing that split down the log. It still surprises me after all these years that as hard as Black Locust is, it splits easy.

Harry K
my dad was pretty anal about it. i'd get the "turn it over,no to far, back a little". me, i'd start splittin and get a few rails that ended up as firewood.:cry:

Harry K

I have done that with white oak. That is one job that actually was easier than I thought it would be. First I made big wedges from dogwood and yes it was fun to chase the split. I'm still talking logs here.

Jere
Now it is making sense. So many times while cutting up a tree top I would stop and stare out into the woods. I was looking for a landscape artist.

Latest posts

Back