How would I keep this stable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberthathaway7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting these...

Bailey's - Arbortech TURBOPlane Wood Shaping Blade for 100mm and 115mm Angle Grinders
Arbortech Turbo Plane from baileysonline.com - YouTube

Bailey's - Industrial Pro Kit

I've got this tree in a ditchline that is due to be cut down, and it has some branches growing through itself and such and if I hold my head right I can see how I could make some amazing coffee table legs or something out of parts of it just as it is. If I were to use this arbortech planer on this project, or any other project for that matter, how could I keep it from cracking and whatnot? Would I have to seal the whole thing, or just let the big wad of branches sit and cure for a long time before I work it (would take up a lot of room)... What would I need to do? I'm more of a carver than a builder, so I may really get into this. I don't have a lot of patience, but I do forget about things easily, so if I hide it from myself I won't have a problem waiting for it to cure.. but I'll be looking at this tool all the time which won't help. Once I get started I may not stop... . Oh and the burls, say I want to dig into a Burl to see what I've got, I could use the planer since I don't have a bansaw that my watermelon sized black cherry burl would fit into. How would I care for it after I shaved a side off? or what if I just skinned the whole burl and shellacked it with linseed oil and displayed it like a big Geode? Or can you not shellack wet wood? Good luck figuring out how to answer, too much adderall tonight and I don't feel like fighting it.

Last edited:
Try this

as for the stems of the tree- delimb carefully as not to scratch bark up .then store in dry place vertically. Forget about them as long as you can.The burls- I leave trunk on top and bottom of the burl{atleast a foot}and then wax the top portion so moister is drawn to the bottom{this tends to reduce the majority of cracks/checks} As far as seeing whats in the burls , i dont mess with them till they are cured and i pay a man with a band mill to do my big slabing . for a cheap 1hr. fee you can get alot of milling done for several projects . It sounds like you are very mentally active person and may be a little hyper{no offence}, I know I am. If you implement a little more S.T.O.P. {stop,think,observe,plan}your projects will go alot smoother and your rewards will be alot greater. You are already off to a good start by asking and letts see if we can both learn from others on here as i do not know it all,for sure. Good luck!

as for the stems of the tree- delimb carefully as not to scratch bark up .then store in dry place vertically. Forget about them as long as you can.The burls- I leave trunk on top and bottom of the burl{atleast a foot}and then wax the top portion so moister is drawn to the bottom{this tends to reduce the majority of cracks/checks} As far as seeing whats in the burls , i dont mess with them till they are cured and i pay a man with a band mill to do my big slabing . for a cheap 1hr. fee you can get alot of milling done for several projects . It sounds like you are very mentally active person and may be a little hyper{no offence}, I know I am. If you implement a little more S.T.O.P. {stop,think,observe,plan}your projects will go alot smoother and your rewards will be alot greater. You are already off to a good start by asking and letts see if we can both learn from others on here as i do not know it all,for sure. Good luck!

No man it's true. I have attentiveness probs and sometimes I take my medicine doses too close together and over-do it on caffeine and I definitely did that day. I remember, and can tell by reading my post. Haha...ohwell, part of it. Yeah the cherry burl I did the same thing to- left a bunch of stump on either side. I gave it to a guy to hold on to a year or two ago, he has a monster home wood shop and I told him I just wanted a few pieces to play with once he gets it slabbed up. Have you ever used a Logosol timberjig type of tool? Someone offered to let me borrow theirs because they never use it, and I have a few cherries I could slab up, but I didn't know if it wasted wood. I also have a few walnut crotches that are about ready to be cut up for gun stock projects. Considering it's free, I guess it could pay for maybe the one extra pass that I lose due to the chain thickness vs. what paying someone to use a band mill would do. But I don't know. what do you think?

No man it's true. I have attentiveness probs and sometimes I take my medicine doses too close together and over-do it on caffeine and I definitely did that day. I remember, and can tell by reading my post. Haha...ohwell, part of it. Yeah the cherry burl I did the same thing to- left a bunch of stump on either side. I gave it to a guy to hold on to a year or two ago, he has a monster home wood shop and I told him I just wanted a few pieces to play with once he gets it slabbed up. Have you ever used a Logosol timberjig type of tool? Someone offered to let me borrow theirs because they never use it, and I have a few cherries I could slab up, but I didn't know if it wasted wood. I also have a few walnut crotches that are about ready to be cut up for gun stock projects. Considering it's free, I guess it could pay for maybe the one extra pass that I lose due to the chain thickness vs. what paying someone to use a band mill would do. But I don't know. what do you think?

you aren't alone on the attention situation . i had to eliminate most sugars ,grains an rice from my diet.Except for about 6 beers a week and an occasional mixed drink. it helped a great deal. as far as the logosol-chainsaw mill- i havent used it but i would buy the M8 in a sec. if my finances were better. the Akaskan type are slow to set up but for the occasional user are adequate. 3/8" or .404 ads up on the log but i like it because most of my stuff is bigger slabs n beams out of buckskin Yellow Pine and western larch. Maybe try getting ahold of the rootwad on the walnut for gun stalks maple is also good that way. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back