How would you cut this down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking a chain around the tree and then yank it off on an angle, and pull it right on out of the tree its leaning in.
I would use a big enough tractor or wench to make sure it works.

It doesn't concern me at all, because I will not be within 50' of it when it comes down.

I am very very comfortable on a ladder and still wouldn't dare work from a ladder here, or even put a ladder against it. Cable chokers pulled over with a rope and snatched off with a heavy machine.

Or you could fall that tree to the left into it knocking it out or making it much worse, but if aimed correctly it would work!

I would cinch a cable just above the break

run it thru a snatch block attached to the butt of a tree near the trees the top is hung up in, to a tractor to pull the limb away from the stem. Add cable and come-a-long to the side you want the tree to fall toward. In the unlikely eventuality that the stem starts to flex before the limb pulls loose, back off a little then notch and cut the trunk while maintaining a little tension with the tractor and pulling on the come-a-long to bring the trunk down.

there are a lot of ways to put this tree dwn, quickly, easily and safely.. IF you know what you're doing.. of course it could go very badly otherwise..

Cutting from a ladder, very bad idea here as in most cases.. danger however will not be from piece after it falls. earlier post that piece is bound to drop straight to ground is unquestionably correct.. NO Way at that angle could there be any sort of push back able to move the but back to even approach the base of the tree.. Danger cutting from ladder is just that.. losing balance or cntrol of saw.. saw could easily get pinched if you don;t know what you're doing etc.. easy way to get hurt.. (see below vid***)

Secondly there is no reason or need to make the high cut.. set a line from the ground, Aim 90 degrees to the top's direction and notch the trunk at ground level... plunge cut the back cut if you can, trip the back strap, get out of the DZ and pull the tree from a safe distance.. You don't necessarily need to use the plunge, but you do need to be 100% sure to leave enough hinge to hold any push back coming from the top, while making sure you have left the hinge thin enough to go with the pull you have... Plunge allows you to take your time setting up the exact hinge you want and allows for a little better escape time which is recommended here.

*** using ladders for tree work - YouTube (dangers of ladders in tree work)

and a similar situation:
hickory hanger.mov - YouTube

and the first half of this one:
tailgate chain sharpening.mov - YouTube

Not that bad.

Not as bad as you think but you should get someone who has experience. I will give you a hint though... Probably no need to cut anything on the hanging trunk before winching. Giving a little love correctly it should fall right off its purchase... The rest is up to how you want to proceed.

Now I got that out here are some details. From this angle the fallen tree look like it has wedged itself into several other trees. There is a compressing load in this system that is pushing the butt towards the stump. If you tried cutting it at the break the tree would likely land in your lap. If you try pulling it down with a truck and it doesn't come down then you have made it even more dangerous for the guy who will be cutting it down.
There is a way to do it but its still a hazard and I don't want to give you any ideas.
This is preciously the kind of thing that kills amateur.
Don't be a shmo, hire a pro.

These type of snags have not only killed amateurs but pros as well.

Murphys suggestin is the way I would do it. If it is not endangering a structure nature will take care of it. If you decide to try it yourself, just take your time and make sure you exit routes cleared in case the tree doesnt do what you expect it to do.

So I used a ladder....

So I carefully used a ladder just long enough to throw the cable over the branch. I used a 2-ton power puller to try to pull the branch loose from about 30 feet away. But it didn't budge. It must be really jammed in tight. Guess I'll just wait for it to rot and fall.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Lord, we went from using a ladder to domino falling, I don't know which is worse.

That's not domino falling. Domino falling is when you have notches and backcuts in several trees just waiting to go. Then you hit the back one with a tree to get the "dominos falling". See Page 22 of the attached manual.

Falling a tree to clear a hanger is common practice in production timber fallling for overcoming hazardous trees. See Page 27.

http://www.worksafebc.com/publicati.../assets/pdf/bc_faller_training_standard_1.pdf
http://www.worksafebc.com/publicati.../assets/pdf/bc_faller_training_standard_2.pdf

That's not domino falling. Domino falling is when you have notches and backcuts in several trees just waiting to go. Then you hit the back one with a tree to get the "dominos falling". See Page 22 of the attached manual.

Falling a tree to clear a hanger is common practice in production timber fallling for overcoming hazardous trees. See Page 27.

http://www.worksafebc.com/publicati.../assets/pdf/bc_faller_training_standard_1.pdf
http://www.worksafebc.com/publicati.../assets/pdf/bc_faller_training_standard_2.pdf

Yes, and I've done both, but neither are practices I'd recommend in the homeowner forum. Jeff

If I was concerned with damaging the other trees in this stand, I would secure the leaning portion in place, back it up with rigging set in other trees and dismantle it piece by piece.

I was not concerned with damaging the other trees in this stand, I would notch and drop it from the ground, and get out of the way because the top of that leaner may come crashing down like a spear or club on the stump.

I'm finishing a three oak tree trim job for a home owner ladder man tomorrow. The 4" limb that knocked him off his ladder, smashing three vertebrae in his neck, is still laying under the tree. He cannot stand upright for more than five minutes at a time anymore, and is lucky he's not paralyzed doctor said.

So I carefully used a ladder just long enough to throw the cable over the branch. I used a 2-ton power puller to try to pull the branch loose from about 30 feet away. But it didn't budge. It must be really jammed in tight. Guess I'll just wait for it to rot and fall.

You could have easily saved yourself from that very compromising position on the ladder and used a throw line to get that cable around the tree, way safer. In this case it may have been a really good thing that the tree did not come apart, with you that close to the come-a-long AND the tree, when all that stored energy gets released. That come along may have become a Guillotine while you were standing there operating it.

An earlier poster mentioned not being within 50 feet when the attempt to separate them is made. :clap:

If your making a reasonable living, be humble and pay a pro. If your broke, call a teaching arborist offering a class on hazardous tree removal and email them a photo of your tree and ask if they might want to use your tree in an upcoming class. There may even be a full time arborist school near you that may be looking for an interesting field trip.

Glad that tree did not come apart with you that close to it.

Now do it like Murphy showed you and pull it over just like he pushed his. Or leave it be!

The fact that that rig didn't pull it off the stob says to me that there is some back pressure' and it could jump back when it comes free. I'm glad you didn't go up there on a ladder and start hacking away. Jeff

The fact that that rig didn't pull it off the stob says to me that there is some back pressure' and it could jump back when it comes free. I'm glad you didn't go up there on a ladder and start hacking away. Jeff

I concur. It's pretty clear its loaded and very dangerous.
I do wish everyone would stop giving this guy ideas.
This is a very dangerous situation.

Back