How would you do it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnduty

Reaction score
Problem is an 18-20 metre, 57 year old pine tree (dry rot) has fallen onto an aging almond tree in a lady's backyard...limited access. It is on an angle of approx 45 degrees. I have trimmed the side branches as high as I could get..still a few. It is right next to neighbour's fences (corner). I can't really cut from top, so am thinking of cutting from bottom, in lengths, by under and over cutting so that the top of it is at a 70-80 degree angle. Has anyone had to do this. There's a lot of weight in it. What do you advise?
Thanks
"Lawn"

Last edited:
It sounds like you have the right idea. I have had to take many trees down like this while working in the forest cutting fire wood. Because when cutting trees down in tight places they some times get hung up. Just cut up from the bottom in lengths that you can safley reach and watch out for you're feet so that the butt dosen't land on one of them. You may want to tie the two trees together at the contact point so that it dosen't fall on the fence or you, but leave some slack in the rope so that the pine dosen't become suspended. Good luck and be carefull my friend.

Cant help without pictures. There are a lot of different ways to get it down. What is the diameter at chest height? What are the targets the tree could hit? Pictures would help determine some factors.

Is there an tip above the tree? Do you have access to a crane?

I agree with Sharpie and Treesquirrel on this one. You have the right idea. With some extra precations, that's how i'd prolly do. (can't tell you for sure with out looking at it) But that's a dangerous way to get a tree down. The butt can land on your foot/saw, the tree can also snap in half from the shock load, it can also pull limbs out from the other tree. So not only do you half to watch your cut, you have to watch your feet, the butt, the whole tree that your cutting, and the top of the other tree. Alot of stuff can go wrong. Be carefull

If the tree is any kind of size or mass, call a tree service. It's a no brainer.
That kind of situation isn't a homeowner solvable type problem. :popcorn:

Cutting bits off the butt of a hung up tree is one of the five DO NOTS for hung up trees!!

If it is truly wedged beyond removal, if you can, and know how and are properly equipped, climb the other tree and cut it out from the top, beware of it sitting up suddenly once the top weight is removed or crashing down once the wedging is removed...rigging may be part of the operation!

Otherwise, removing a hung up tree, especially a large weighty one is a job for a trained professional.

In the absence of large machinery, such as a crane, a series of felling cuts should be done to separate it from the rootplate.
If it remains hung up then the hinge should be CAREFULLY cut from the side away from the weight, allowing the weight of the tree to roll it out of the one it is stuck in, if the weight is insufficient it can be rolled out with a turning strap and a winch.

If it still remains hung up then winching it out by the base is the next option.

CARE and CAUTION are essential at all stages of the procedure.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

How tall do almond trees get anyway. I thought they were pretty short in relation to shade trees.

I know he's on the other side of the planet but...

Over here, West Indian Almonds can get 40'+, they are a bit snappy so tend to break branches in hurricanes, then they send up lots of vertical epicormic shoots, 8' in a couple of years is not unusual.

Back