How would you tackle this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smulax

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a large oak lying down the two small trees are not touching it but they gotta go for ease of work and safety. I was thinking of using a come a long to try and pull after I cut a few notches in the section by the trunk and top. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 247
Just to understand what you are trying to do before offering advice:
My understanding is you want to remove the small trees and then roll the large downed tree sideways so it isn't arched?

If the bottom of the log is at a comfortable working height, I would undercut the log 1/2 -2/3 way through at your desired length, then finish the cuts once it's on the ground.. It saves the chain and your back. Otherwise, it looks like you should be able to anchor on the stump and middle of the log and pull it over sideways with a come along once you remove those 2 little trees..

Yup. What he ^ said. Make each cut as far as possible while the big stick is sitting there. I'd start each cut from above, maybe 1/4 way, drive a wedge from above to stabilize, then cut maybe 1/3 through from below. Wedges are your friend, including ones you cut locally.

It's always a good idea to use a cable winch as possible to restrict motion. Winch from one side while you're on the other, cutting. Pick your spots to saw through, pull ond wedge at a time and cut sections free, then cut them up, rolling a/r. Winch can prevent crushing.

You might want to cut off the small poles above the bigger log up front, then below, when freed of big stick. If they're in the way, take them out. This all is still guesswork, not knowing your objectives.

Whatever your plan, make sure it's flexible. Be prepared at all times with Plan B, Plan C, etc. No rush, no ER trips.

The plan is firewood so I'm not trying to save the length. I just need it on the ground so it's safer to cut. Thanks for the help. I'll use more wedges then I had planned

If I were to cut it up, I would start with the top, but there are likely to be those limbs that are under compression that would make it dangerous for someone with little experience. So I think you should start cutting at the stump end and just cut off fire wood lengths. As suggested before, cut down until the kerf starts to close, place wedges, pull the bar out, then cut up from the bottom. After the first round is free put it under the log to hold it up to allow a few cuts to be made all from the top. The saplings can be left alone, no need to cut them.

Latest posts

Back