How young is too young ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ten is too young to run a chainsaw. I believe a kid has to have not only the maturity and common sense to do so, and be able to learn proper procedures and safety (and retain them in the brain!), but have the physical capabilities to run that saw as well. My oldest two boys (ages 23 and 20) have the physical capabilities but I would not trust either one of them to pick up any tool from the correct end, let alone operate it. The retention of safety and operating requirements just isn't there, because they simply have no interest. On the other hand, my youngest son, age 11, is certainly interested, but not physically capable yet, in my opinion. I was 13 before my dad would even let me run a saw, and that was limited to controlled conditions, which amounted to bucking small logs on a sawbuck with no chance of pinching or kickback. I do have the 11-yo using power tools in my woodshop, but a drill, sander or jigsaw does not equal a chainsaw. I haven't even mentioned my daughters - the 19-year-old has no interest, and due to some physical limitations probably can't anyway. The 9 year-old is a girly-girl and it's hard enough just to get her outside to stack wood. Who knows - maybe she'll wind up being the woodworker and sawyer out of all my kids.

Just to be clear on my original post. My "letting him run a saw" meant he cut a few cookies from the end of a 8 inch Ash log that was on a saw buck adjusted to waist level to him while I stood with my hand on his shoulder. He wasn't out felling big timber in the mountains. I do tend to agree with whitespiders views though on how I'll raise my kids. There's way too many 20 plus year old kids out there that can't wipe their own azz and its because parents have quit taking the time to actually raise their kids and teach them how to be responsible and how to take care of themselves. BTW my 15 year old bucked a load of wood last Saturday with his own 046 .

Strange thread but at least it is exploring possibilities.

At 8 years old I started taking swimming lessons at the Y and took the 45 minutes bus trip into the city every week to attend class in downtown Montreal.

At 10 years old I made a 35 miles road trip on my bicycle as a minor adventure. I camped out in a pup tent in the yard of one of my mother's friends and returned home the next day. As a typical city kid I had no idea about farm equipment but that day I was put in charge of driving the tractor that was towing the hay wagon while the adults were loading that wagon by hand. It was more or less a "just steer it" job but at that age I was given a productive task.

I had my own .22 CO2 rifle at that same age and learned gun safety in our basement on a home made range. I got to be quite accurate with that thing. For my 12th birthday I got my own 16 gauge coach gun before the hunting season. It was the same year I became the de-facto sitter for my younger brothers and sister after school.

My parents were considered a bit odd to trust me like that but here I am over 55 years later and I am still pretty much self reliant.

LOL ‼
I've posted this before...
About 5 -6 years ago when my oldest son bought his first "crotch-rocket" motorcycle I was a bit concerned and was talkin' to dad about it.
Dad says to me, "Son, ya' can't protect 'em from everything... all ya' can do is try and keep 'em alive and out'a jail until ya' can get 'em over the hump."
"Yeah... right dad... and at exactly what age is this friggin' hump??"
Dad took a big gulp out of his beer and answered, "Don'no... you're 53 and I still ain't got'cha there."

This is my son now... it-is-what-it-is.

I was driving a 350 Honda wheeler/full size snowmobile alone at age 8 well out of earshot of home. In the woods with guns (and friends of the same age) at 9. Out on the lake (which is 40 miles long) anywhere I wanted in my own boat at 12.

I wouldn't hesitate to let my kids out of my sight but am more worried about the other people out there, both do-gooders and trouble makers. Drunk snowmobiling/boating is a serious problem. Especially when they have 100+ mph sleds and 50+ mph boats.

LOL ‼
I've posted this before...
About 5 -6 years ago when my oldest son bought his first "crotch-rocket" motorcycle I was a bit concerned and was talkin' to dad about it.
Dad says to me, "Son, ya' can't protect 'em from everything... all ya' can do is try and keep 'em alive and out'a jail until ya' can get 'em over the hump."
"Yeah... right dad... and at exactly what age is this friggin' hump??"
Dad took a big gulp out of his beer and answered, "Don'no... you're 53 and I still ain't got'cha there."

This is my son now... it-is-what-it-is.

He's reaching freaky speeds but that's still much safer than the dumbass showing off doing wheelies down the county road all while drunk.

My HS buddy and a bunch of his buddies all bought crotch rockets one year. Every one of them totaled them by the end of summer. I had a Harley but never rode with them. He was griping about the cost of motorcycle insurance and wasn't real happy with me when I pointed out that he and his buds were exactly the reason I had to pay high premiums.

I saw guys doing wheelies down 4 lane interstate with traffic all around them. I was young once but I wasn't stupid....

Our idea of a good time was finding out at what speed the computer would cut the power to the engine of any given car.

Our idea of a good time was finding out at what speed the computer would cut the power to the engine of any given car.
LOL ‼
When I was that age cars didn't have computers... heck, I was close to 30 before I had a car without ignition points.
I still have a tach 'n' dwell meter stashed away somewhere...

I was taught by my father how to run a saw when i was around 5. He would hold the saw and let me run the throttle on the saw and control how it was fed through the wood. I was allowed to use the saw on my own when i was 7 or so and i walked into the stihl dealer at 12 and bought my own brand new 029. My brother on the other hand it 20 and is still not allowed to touch a saw. It is all about the physical ability and maturity neither of which seem to be gaurenteed with age.

I have 4 boys and they have done things at different ages. From running a Saw, Splitter, Skidsteer and Tractor. Maturity. strength and even how interested they are in working with a piece of equipment plays a role in their ability. Each one is different. All 4 were raised up doing firewood so they learn about each piece of equipment. My youngest has been running a saw since around 12. He cuts about 150+ cords a year now

My son assembled a a 261 with my help and guidance at 4, he loves tinkering in the shop. He has his own work bench.

Although, at 5 and 7, a P62 is a little big for them to be running unsupervised

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

My son wants to run a saw, I'm thinking next year I'll let him start with the electric saw. That way he can hear me while it is running. Once he learns/proves he can do it, I'll see how easy he can lift my real saws.
I can hold a plug in the cord and yank it if he's gonna get in trouble. He just turned 11, he's been running the 5 ton splitter for a while now.

My oldest is 5. A few weeks ago, I let her run the lever on my uncle's log splitter. With very expicit instructions - When I look at you and say go forward, push the lever this way. When I look at you and say go backward, push the lever this way. etc.

Last weekend, I was hand splitting with the Fiskars, and she wanted to watch. There was a discussion of where she could stand, and where she couldn't, to stay out of the danger zone. She had a blast, and hopefully it sparks her interest in helping as she gets older and more capable.

My favorite story, though is that earlier in the fall, I was butchering chickens, and she wanted to help. She would go into the pen, and chase a bird out to the door, so I could catch it. She would then turn her back while I removed the head. Once she heard the hatchet hit the chopping block, she turned back around and helped me hang the birds, and carry the bled birds over to our plucking area. I thought she was showing very mature behavior for being only 5.

In each of these cases, I had to make an assessment of her maturity. Can she handle this emotionally? Can she be trusted to do what is asked? Is she physically capable? Does she understand the dangers? Of course, it's all subjective, but my point is that every kid is different. I know too many adults that aren't emotionally mature enough to kill, pluck, and eviscerate a chicken, let alone a child. Everyone's mileage will vary.

Back