How'd you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went thru my gas bills the other day and since november I have spent $300 on natural gas for the winter season so far. That is with a gas dryer, gas HWT and gas furnace. Like most of the country we have been hit with some bitter cold weather. I have had the stove cranking, and the furnace would still run on the super cold days.

Howd you guys do?

Jeff

I filled my 500 gal. propane tank in the end of July, I'm down to about 30% now. Should make it until summer, I have a gas hot water, and gas back up forced air furnace. With propane prices I sure as hell am not using the gas furnace. I see next week temps. above freezing for the first time since maybe early December. Finally a break from the bitter cold.

My gas bill runs about 20.00 to 22.00 a month. I just use natural gas for my water heater. For heat I only use the wood stove. I don't buy firewood I just cut my own.

No gas here. 100% wood heat, the electric furnace is off. 2 cords down, likely one cord to go this season, which leaves 2 cords in reserve. I have 2 portable oil heaters for the really cold days, used them about 2 weeks this year.

$122 electric bill, which is standard for us. I've burnt about 6 or 7 cords in my owb, and have another 4 in log form just in case.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

I heat with wood to supplement my propane furnace. I've burned five cords of wood, more than twice what I did last year.
I've also burned 100 gallons more propane this year that last.

Guess I'm doing good ..I haven't burned a drop of fuel oil or propane in 6 years. .. 100% wood heat for us. . God gave us all the heat we could need and it's right in our backyard not Saudia Arabia

I havent burnt a drop of gas in 11 years. Gets a little chilly in here on some mornings but we manage

Last month electric bill was $140 about $35 more than normal. I had fans running to move heat, and a small electric heater in the bathroom. Seemed like it was about -20* the whole month.

I havent burnt a drop of gas in 11 years. Gets a little chilly in here on some mornings but we manage
How do you power that Chevy if its not burning gas?

Haven't got the gas bill yet where they've read my meter. I'm still paying on the estimated bills from previous winter. I have a feeling its going to be high. My highest has been about $58 so far. Last year when they did come and read the meter and sent me my make-up bill, it was $12. I have a furnace hotwater tank and oven to fuel with gas. I'm single so they don't get used a whole lot.

My electric on the other hand will be high. Heat tapes up the valleys of the roof, and gutters and downspouts have been running lots this year. I have a small electric heater that I run on my main valve for the water to keep it from freezing. That's been running like crazy this year, and I have a small baseboard in the bathroom when the woodburner isn't keeping the upstairs warm enough. That's been used more this winter than its been used in the 20 years since I put it in.

I made my house propane free about 5 years ago. The first winter we didn't have the little ones yet and kept the house about 68 with 2 oil filled space heaters and cost about $125. Basement was cold, extra bedroom door was shut (and probably cold) The only thing we actually tried heating was the living room and the bedroom. Then along came a baby and i put in a wood stove (and a damn air conditioner... and a new fridge, and and and) and put an electric heater in the babies room. Our bedroom was tolerable (and i think she could sleep in -40 weather) and i moved to the couch right next to the stove. Electric bill was still about $100. This year i got mad and "hot wired" my return air out of my old furnace to run 24/7 and my ENTIRE house is at least 68 (and usually 73) including the basement and all bedrooms. Electric bill was 121 bucks last month and I also had the space heater in the well house turned up a bit and put a doggie door in it for my mutts so they wouldn't get cold in the below 0 cold. (yeah, i know.. i grew a heart in my old age)

For the extra $20 to double my living space and get the kids toys out of my living/dining rooms and into the basement i'd do that over and over and over :)

:) I'll just use Nosmo's post. This is identical to my situation.
My gas bill runs about 20.00 to 22.00 a month. I just use natural gas for my water heater. For heat I only use the wood stove. I don't buy firewood I just cut my own.

Last and highest so far NG bill was $81. That's for hot water, gas dryer and heating a 24x24 garage and another 28x40 garage. The house is 100% wood heat with NG back up but it never runs unless we go on a trip. I keep the garages at 38f unless I'm going to be working in them and I've done a fair bit of that this winter.

I'd love to do it all with wood but that would have to be a gasification boiler with storage and lots of digging to get the insulated lines to three structures... I just can't cost justify it with cheap Natural Gas.

How do you power that Chevy if its not burning gas?

Well you got me there. :) The truck hant ran since about the end of October so it isnt costing me anything right now. Somewhere in another thread I did figure up how much my gas bill was for saws, truck, and splitter, and it was less than $100 for the whole year. That chevy burns more gas in one camping trip 10 miles away than the whole season worth of wood cutting.

We have burned about 50 gals of oil this year. Which is about normal for every year.

I have burned about 8 cords of wood which is up from 6 last. I have been getting up at at aboust 3am to reload the woodbox. Which I hadn't done in previous years.

Zero use on the furnace this year. Coldest temp in the house has been 65.
Heat water with LP. Still have 50% in the tank which will last a long time. Thinking of converting to either an electric water heater tank style or an on demand water heater. Then I can get this LP tank out of my life.
I imagine when I have to call for more this summer they will tell me I don't use enough and need to start paying ridiculous rent on their tank. I could buy one but why do that when I could use that money to purchase a new system.

I was going to switch companies this summer but was told with a wood burner they would charge me rent. I needed at least two fills a year to go rentless.

Latest posts

Back