Howdy! Millin' Time!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...huge tree. OK...I'll ask the stupid question.
How did you know what kind of tree it was? It looks like it's been dead in the air, or on the ground for awhile. Without leaves or bark...how was it identified?

This sounds like something that might interest a few others as well?
I asked Aggie which flavor of .325 chain he prefers for milling. Answer: Carlton K3C, if it is still available, or any semi-chisel full comp non-bumper link.

I found it on the Carlton website, but haven't found an online dealer for loops.

Not a big deal, as I am still toying with lo-pro, but I'm keeping the .325 option in mind if the lo-pro doesn't work out.

Pic of the bark. I've never seen a pecan with bark this thick. Not sure exactly which type it is but it's definitely a pecan of some sort.

QUOTE]

Pecan is the squash of the tree world, it will hybridize at the drop of a hat. so besides all the known cultivars grown in orcards it is estmated that the different types could well exceed 1000. If the tree you milled is a wild pecan there is really no way of knowing what it really is or even what it is a cross of. But as the saying goes it's all pink on the inside.

Pic of the bark. I've never seen a pecan with bark this thick. Not sure exactly which type it is but it's definitely a pecan of some sort.

QUOTE]

Pecan is the squash of the tree world, it will hybridize at the drop of a hat. so besides all the known cultivars grown in orcards it is estmated that the different types could well exceed 1000. If the tree you milled is a wild pecan there is really no way of knowing what it really is or even what it is a cross of. But as the saying goes it's all pink on the inside.

:laugh::blush::ices_rofl:

It was wild. It came out of a thick, overgrown creek bottom in Lampasas which is one reason why it's do dense. 30+- growth rings per inch.

I'll ask another stupid question: I thought GB meant Granberg....so what's GB stand for then?

so you had to use both mills? The alaskan and the what? Is one just wider than the other?

Sorry, kinda new to milling but want to know..thanks.

I'll ask another stupid question: I thought GB meant Granberg....so what's GB stand for then?

so you had to use both mills? The alaskan and the what? Is one just wider than the other?

Sorry, kinda new to milling but want to know..thanks.

GB = Griffth & Berrens
It's not the mill that's wider it's the bar.

GB = Griffth & Berrens
It's not the mill that's wider it's the bar.

What he said. The Alaskan is made by Granberg International based in CA. GB is out of Australia.

My Dad's Alaskan will accept up to a 66" bar and my GB (or what started it's life as a GB) will take up to a 72" in this configuration.

Stihl Day!!!

My Dad and I did a demonstration at a local Stihl dealer this weekend. We had a good time and sold some slabs right off the log to our surprise.

Good times!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

that's awesome man - flat out awesome. I'd be lyin if I said I never thought of contacting my Husky dealer for somethin similar once I get the hang of it - damn i need to get to millin!!!

Latest posts

Back