hows every ones summer been so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry inch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have been enjoying the mild weather, had a freak flood in June lost my garden and 1/2 cord fire wood floated away. have been able to cut a lot of wood.

just wanted to say hi.

Mine's been kinda quiet. Got a new grandson at 8:37 his morning. I usually don't cut in the summer months but with the cooler temps I did get a head start bucking some logs I have piled. No splitting or stacking though, I save that for cooler fall temps.

Busy! (and loving it) my part time machine / fab shop work has exploded, I've been putting in 20-30 hrs a week on top of working full time. Plus my wife, father-in-law and I are siding the house when the weather cooperates. Thankfully I have enough leftover firewood from last year to get thru this year, but with a few mornings in the 40's I got that sweet sweet feeling of fall.

God I love fall, all the chaos of summer comes to a close topped off by good working weather, football & hunting season. I can't wait.

Been cutting, hauling and splitting quite a bit this summer. Trying to reach 100 cords for the season. I just want to say that one time I did that many.

About 4" of rain here in Ct this morning - Water ran places I've never seen before - Too humid most of July - Other than that it's been o.k. Fall soon, smell of smoke in the air.....:clap:

Very busy with family activities and haven't been able to pay much attention to the wood. I'm almost done splitting and will order another grapple load when I get home from vacation. I'm currently up in Deep Gap, NC (by Boone in Blue Ridge Mountains) at my BIL's house, some loggers just across the woods from us dropping some really big trees, heard the chainsaws running this morning along with the thunderous shake of the ground when they hit.

Laying up 10 cords for winter

Have 2 more cords being delivered this weekend, makes 10 laid up and ready to go. Accuweather says its going to be a cold one in North east PA this winter.

Been on the DL

Summer's been a bummer so far, but it could have been so much worse. Took a bad fall on June 22, the night of the Super Full Moon. Took about a three foot drop down a set of concrete steps onto a concrete patio, landing on my right shoulder and both arms. I never hit my head (thank God). Happened so fast I didn't even realize I fell. I ended up with a severely displaced fracture of the left radial head (elbow). Surgery on July 2 and a couple of pins to keep everything together, no weight bearing activity until at least August 20.

Sitting around is killing me! Got about 1 1/2 cords to split and stack, and my buddy gave me a clean up job of about 10 large ash trees he took down from a big job. To save the owner some cost, he worked it out that I would get the wood out at my leisure. All I gotta do is buck it and load it on my truck. I met the owner & his wife fresh off surgery and in a cast. Low and behold, his wife had recently had surgery on BOTH elbows, so we hit it off. The upside to this - I can take my time...wood is out of the way and not in view from the roadway or from the house, and is right off his paved driveway! I can't wait to get started...I'm going bonkers!!

(ps..when Mama saw the size of the logs, she said "Do you think you might need a bigger saw?". God, I love that woman!)

i have been enjoying the mild weather, had a freak flood in June lost my garden and 1/2 cord fire wood floated away. have been able to cut a lot of wood.

just wanted to say hi.

My summer just got a lot better after seeing your avatar.

+1 on that avatar. WOW!
Good summer so far. I've got '14/'15 pretty much in order with some dead stuff still in the woods. It's all uphill from the house, so I'll wait 'till there's snow on the ground and drag it down on the toy sled. Good exercise and a chance to walk in the woods.
Got some serious shooting done as well, in my little bit of spare time this summer. A piece of paper's no good unless it's got a bunch of little tiny holes in it. Unless it's TP. :msp_rolleyes:
Congratulations on the new grandbaby Cheesecutter. :rock: Need some pics!
Best to all,
Philo

Summer has been great, so has life though, you get to enjoy your hobbies when not at work :biggrin: I got 2014-15's wood split and stacked during a heat wave :dizzy: at least it was already cut to length. Started on season 15-16 but fell short of supply. Thinking of hitting the woods next week for a few days to get some rounds for splitting come winter. Need to hit the beach at least once this summer and looking forward to going crabbing with the old lady soon (she don't look like that avatar :msp_razz:) Besides all that rain in the beginning of summer that ruined part of the garden and rose bushes its been a good one. It's coming to a close quick though!

just wanted to say hi.

well, I'd say that's a flood! never thought about losing firewood that way..

Rain here too, muddy all year, outside garden is a weedfilled swamp joke, getting 99% of our garden stuff from tubs and big pots inside the greenhouse.

Haven't hauled much wood back up this year so far, mostly just splitting/stacking and restacking and moving older piles.

If it doesn't stay dry for awhile, gonna have a hard time with second haying.

Been cutting and hauling like crazy. Between my full time job and the firewood I've been really too busy. Wife is due end of the month so I wanted to have the majority of the stuff done by then. Got about 35-40 cords. Half of it stacked and split since May, the rest waiting in piles that need to be processed.

First full summer with the dump trailer and man there is just no way I'd have this much wood if I didn't have that thing. Next to my saws and splitter, that was the best purchase I could have made.

Way I figure it, now that I have this much wood stacked up, we will have the warmest winter on record lol. That's usually the way it works out for me.

Been cutting and hauling like crazy. Between my full time job and the firewood I've been really too busy. Wife is due end of the month so I wanted to have the majority of the stuff done by then. Got about 35-40 cords. Half of it stacked and split since May, the rest waiting in piles that need to be processed.

First full summer with the dump trailer and man there is just no way I'd have this much wood if I didn't have that thing. Next to my saws and splitter, that was the best purchase I could have made.

Way I figure it, now that I have this much wood stacked up, we will have the warmest winter on record lol. That's usually the way it works out for me.

That's fine, because next year you will have two year old seasoned wood for sale, just charge more, wait for the bitter cold snap, then pounce..you'll sell it.

Been trying to pull together funds for our first wood stove. Haven't purchased it yet or installed the chimney, but I am optimistic that we will have our first first by early October!

(Which explains why I am the new guy around here.)

Oh what stove you looking at? Price range? We here on Arborsite love spending other people's money!!! We could even buy you a new splitter and saw with your money! That is just the type of people we are!!

Well ill be honest i been chasin it. ill be short on wood this yr looks like. i dont know maybe not. i got a new saw. but been buisy. small flood couple.mos. ago. traded my ford explorer for a new to me truck but been messin with electrical problems.lots of rain. im not really complainen i work a full time job. i have the pleasure of having my wife stay home make garden and cook. Any way ill quit ramblin.

How is my Summer going?

It pretty much sucks, unfortunately that's how my Summer is going. We had so much rain and humid weather about 5-6 weeks ago it was like living in a mold-filled space helmet-actually got a sinus infection in JULY and that NEVER happened before! Then we moved the wife's parents over a month span-let's just say that they had enough JUNK for 12 people not 2-damn near killed me, the brother in law and nephew but we did it. The only real highlight of Summer was I got to see Steppenwolf July 18th and got to meet John Kay before the show....coaching soccer has started again, the weather is cooler, the in-laws are moved so things SHOULD be better-ask me in a few months "how was Fall" lol! :dizzy: :msp_tongue:

Oh what stove you looking at? Price range? We here on Arborsite love spending other people's money!!! We could even buy you a new splitter and saw with your money! That is just the type of people we are!!

I'm torn between the Englander NC13 and NC30, though Blaze has me leaning toward the 30. I have a thread here asking for NC13 owners to chime in so you guys can make up my mind for me.

Basically $$ is an issue. I have cash in an envelope for the chimney, but the stove is going to have to go on the Home Depot card (no interest for 6 months), so other stoves really aren't an option. If I wait and save up for something else, then all the chimney money will have to go into the oil tank this winter so, once March arrives, I will have no chimney and no oil. Timing is everything.

For a splitter, I have unlimited access to a McGyver Special.

I will also be in the market for a saw. I have an 18" electric Craftsman. It works great for what I bought it for, but I am about to be upping my game. I will probably go with a Stihl, mainly because there is a dealer 2 blocks away from my house. I have 2 local tree services that are willing to drop unchippable sections (up to 4-ft diameter range) in my driveway. I will have to see how that pans out. I may need a 20" bar. Too early to tell. (One guy has already been dropping off 8" diameter dead ash, which I need because I really don't have much seasoned wood yet.)

We have plenty of Sandy blow-downs in the woods behind our house. Though I'm not too sure how I will get the wood out once I chop them up.

And I have an old flat utility trailer that has been sitting for a few years. I'm suddenly glad I didn't get rid of it due to lack of use. I plan on bringing it back to life so I can gather fallen trees.

As a sidenote: I joined Arborsite because it's been coming up on every one of my web searches lately. I figured it was time to stop lurking in the shadows and become part of the family.

Latest posts

Back