How's your 2017 firewood coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
Burning 4 year old oak now. Have 50 cord to hold me over till 2027 with all at least 4 years seasoned when I burn it. Next will be some honey locust when I get it. But I'm kinda in lazy cruise control now. It's a very peaceful feeling being ahead.

I thought I was ahead last year, but I'm expanding my maple syrup operation this year. I'll probably go from using 6-7 cords/year to 12-15.

I'm considering buying a truckload or two of logs to get a jump on it. Might only have to do it one year and then cut my own to keep ahead.

It would be nice to experience that peaceful feeling.

lindnova

lindnova

ArboristSite Operative
I would like that "peaceful thing" also. Seems being 3 years ahead is not enough for me. I am anxious to get out and split up 3 cords of maple and elm, then buck up the 2 cherries I dragged into the yard (only the small tops in the picture - 2 - 30 ft trunks to left), then mill the better pieces into boards, then go get those 2 dead bur oaks down and stacked. I do have 2 other stacks not pictured below totaling close to 38 cords. Yes, an obsession it is.IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG

I think if I reached 5-6 years ahead the pressure would be off. But I'm in no hurry since my wood cutting is most reactionary to whatever the wind, snow, bugs, and beaver provide for me. I can imagine busting it to get a bunch done then a wind storm would come through and bury me in wood again.

There's another 65 acres being cut within the next 3 years adjacent to my cabin and those tops piles will provide plenty more. Lots of maple, birch, and pin oak in there.