How's Your Back's ???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON58

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive been working on the wood pile last few weekends and man do I feel it. Don't know what I did but I'm a hurt'in puppy. Musta moved it in the wrong direction. This has really slowed me down in a lot of areas. Gotta be muscles cause after a few brewskies the pain seems to go away. (Relaxing) Got one of those elastic belt things on and that helps a bit too. Just wondering if any of you all got problems? Well I'm off to the distributor for the week end meds.(need saw gas too)

Ive been working on the wood pile last few weekends and man do I feel it. Don't know what I did but I'm a hurt'in puppy. Musta moved it in the wrong direction. This has really slowed me down in a lot of areas. Gotta be muscles cause after a few brewskies the pain seems to go away. (Relaxing) Got one of those elastic belt things on and that helps a bit too. Just wondering if any of you all got problems? Well I'm off to the distributor for the week end meds.(need saw gas too)

I get kinda sore when I do a lot of firewood. My back handles it well as long as I don't try to manhandle the huge rounds.

I feel your pain and have not even handled much wood this year. I think I hurt mine some other way, don't really know. In fact the other weekend it helped to get out and stretch out with the saw (029) trimming some logs. The worst thing it has been about 2 weeks and still have a little pain, and lean to one side... and we have to do about 600 square bales of hay this weekend, probably Monday !!!!

i just turned 40 my mom and dad burned wood for 15 years ive moved ton's of stuff with my back i man handeled stuff not waiting for help till one day,

i picked up one thing to much my back gave out, i folded over ,,,hurt like hell.
i could stand fine but bend over ohhhhhh hell no the pain is intence

guy's let me tell ya it hurt's to put on your shoe's, you dreed going to the bathroom even a new catalog wont help.......at all for week's

its been a few years and to this day i have to watch how i pick up stuff

take care of your back

your mind may not have limit's but your back does

Try a Chiropracter

I don't know if you guys have these in USA but they are friggin awesome. I see one every four weeks just to keep all of the bones where they're meant to be.

A while ago I hurt my back and spent days in agony. Finally went to the chiro. Bruised 5th lumbar vertebrae and a rotated sacro iliac joint. He had me walking comfortably in 15 minutes flat.

Now-a-days with the regular maintenance I never have any trouble. My new credo is - If my arms can lift it my back can bear it. Mind you I do do a few stretches every morning before I go to work too. Your back is your livelihood. Take good care of it.:biggrinbounce2:

Working your back too hard. Need to even it out with some ab work. Crunches, leg lifts, etc. I lift weights five times a week for different muscle groups, but I always end with 15 minutes of ab work. It will make a ton of difference in your back pain...

Ive heard that in the past. When your belly goes soft the back has to do extra work to make up. Makes sense. What kinda exercises work for you.Im not one to exercise but if it helps Ill try it.

I know my beer belly doesn't help my back any, but what would be cutting and splitting without a beer close at hand. I think you are right about the abb exercises, to bad 12 oz curls don't work.
:cheers:

Working your back too hard. Need to even it out with some ab work. Crunches, leg lifts, etc. I lift weights five times a week for different muscle groups, but I always end with 15 minutes of ab work. It will make a ton of difference in your back pain...

I was in a head on collision driving a 154,000# gravel train back in 2000. Fortunitley i was the one driving the truck the other guy didnt make it. Any way i had messed up my back, neck, wrist, and knee from that accident. I was basically bed ridden for a year, and at times the pain was unberable. There were times that if i could have crawled to the hospital to get my back fixed i would have (over 30 miles). I had surgery on all but, my back and neck, my back doctor advised me to wait as long as i could before having the surgery, and i am glad he did. So after a year of laying at home i made the decision that i was not going to live my life half a$$ed and went to work. It took me a while but, i first started out driving tractor for my brother, just turning my head would give me migranes at times. I pressed forward working harder, hurting more, ultimately rebuilding the mucsles that were torn in the accident. Today, you would never now that i have 3 herniated disk in my neck, 3 buldged and one black disk in my back. yes there is times about 2xs a year i see the chrio, but i contribute the way my back feels today from excersize and rebuilding those muscles.

Ive heard that in the past. When your belly goes soft, the back has to do extra work to make up. Makes sense. What kinda exercises work for you. I'm not one to exercise, but if it helps Ill try it.
Last year I knocked off 37 lb, going from 217 to 180. Now I'm holding at 185 and it was the best back therapy that I could have done. My exercise was the "push-away"--perhaps the hardest exercise any man can do.

Sure, my back still aches occasionally when I get up in the morning and after I overdue it, but that goes away rather fast. Prior to losing that blubber, throwing out the back was ridiculously simple and it would take a week or more for me to recover. It's really nice not carrying around a 5-gallon bucket full of water, and I can work longer without getting nearly as tired.

This has been my best year since burning firewood, but have needed the aid of massage, to work out the knots, and break up scar tissue in my upper thighs, its a deep joint, but when knotted, it pulls on the lower back something fierce.

The activity of stacking firewood helps, but it will require more sessions to get everything the way it should be. It was news to me about the connection of upper thigh to spine area, so new excercises on the horizon for this guy.

You really appreciate mobility, when putting on your socks takes minutes instead of seconds.

Ive heard that in the past. When your belly goes soft the back has to do extra work to make up. Makes sense. What kinda exercises work for you.Im not one to exercise but if it helps Ill try it.

I usually start off with a few sets to warm up my upper abs. Ball crunches usually. Once I do that, I do any number of things. Regular crunches, leg lifts, hip raises, weighted crunches, ad nausea... Look up ab excersizes on google, you will find a wealth of info.

I would suggest not just working out abs though, do everything. You want to keep everything balanced...

C

I thought my back was made out of titanium, till I turned 50 - I was in the o.r. at 51 with a ruptured disk, back in there again at 53, same one - Pain all the time, just standing bothered me. I had a fusion scheduled, until I found a chiropractor that had one of those DRX traction machines that stretch you back out - It took awhile, but I canceled the fusion - 2 1/2 years now, it's been pretty good. I can still run my sawmill, do firewood, lots of stuff. You really have to watch it as you get older, move it the smart way, not the "just because I can" way.

I always refer to the back pain as the weekend warrior syndrome, we hit the woodpiles with a fury once a year and wonder why we are sore.....total lack of conditioning in most cases. the boys that work in the woods all week don't typically have this problem as they are well conditioned. Picking heavier wood up from ground level bothers me the most, so I let John Deere do it for me.

Best advice I ever received

Lift with your legs, not with your back. Not always instinctive or the easiest thing.

When I was working in a warehouse earlier in life, I used to watch guys my age (early 20s at the time) lift incorrectly and complain by 10am of an aching back. We also were required to wear lifting belts around the midriff, and see a few guys around processing firewood wearing these.

This strategy will suit me fine until the knees get a creak in them. Figure in my late 30s, I've still got 10 years before I need to rethink.

Dr. Feelgood Says:

1. Sex: often and good ; usually NOT missionary. Get over macho.:givebeer:

2. Listen to your abs and stretching . Do it.

3. Lose the fat.

4. Ask " Jumpers" how they deal with back pain: ice then heat. See how the NFL hulks deal with injuries and pain after every game: they jump into ice baths.

5. Stay active. Don't work through the pain, but DON'T stay lying down. Walk.

6. Chiropractors do good for most.

....and call me in the morning.:monkey: The bill is in the mail.

Last edited:
Back