How's Your Firewood Pile Coming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine!! I still can't stop myself, though. Gonna go get some more! Doh! My wife saw the picture... she's starting to threaten me... gotta go! :deadhorse:

I have a pile of wood to go on the wood pile. Just haven't started piling the wood yet.

Been pretty hot and I've been playing "Logger Joe" on Hemlocks all year.

It's ever growing...

Since we had a micro burst in the area, one of the local tree services has been dropping off his larger stuff (He has a winch fed chipper) and therefore, I have a yard full of white oak, and pin oaks. I have been splitting every night for about 2 hours (hand and machine) and so far have 3 cords for next year (Green), and about 6 cords for this year (Seasoned).
Luckily, I also got a bunch of hickory and cherry blown down from a fence line up on the farm, too bad for the mill, very good for me. August 1st was day one of my firewood permit for the state, and it's primarily black and river birch, with some maple thrown in. It costs $100 and is for 5 cord of wood. It's standing, and relatively small (easy) but the access is great, and the family loves the trail network.
This year should be a heck of a lot easier than last year thanks to you guys... But I can't help but wonder, can you actually have too many chainsaws? Just when I take pictures of one to think about selling it, I am quick to justify keeping it. That's about it for the year this year, take care everyone.
Jason

August 1st was day one of my firewood permit for the state, and it's primarily black and river birch, with some maple thrown in. It costs $100 and is for 5 cord of wood. It's standing, and relatively small (easy) but the access is great, and the family loves the trail network.

Jason

How do you get a firewood permit in CT? I was looking on the DEP website but couldn't find anything I would like to get one! Were do they let you cut? What do they requre?

My firewood pile is doing OK- Found a lady about 30minutes from me that has a bunch of poplar/birch/cherry/?? she wanted cut down to clear out her land. Deal is she gets free tree removal I get free wood. Also get to "learn" about cutting down trees as most of what i cut up has been felled already. Been reading alot about how to do it! Felled two 16inchers-50-80ft? tall today no problem and had fun doing it. Whats great is that if it falls the wrong way the worst thing that happens is it gets hung up and we have to pull it down with the truck. Except the heat/humidity got me sick which is no fun at all.

Stew

Check you email

I sent you an email. Which county are you in?

Mostly Black Birch and Maple, in the state forest in Glastonbury this year. Sometimes it is the top wood from the commercial harvests, but this year it needs to be felled as well. Shoot back a PM, I'll give more details.

Jason

Nice job!

Is Lindrith in the Santa Fe or Carson district? I was looking at a map of some areas above Abiquiu Lake, wondering if there is any dead pinyon to cut.

Blasphemy

Since we had a micro burst in the area, one of the local tree services has been dropping off his larger stuff (He has a winch fed chipper) and therefore, I have a yard full of white oak, and pin oaks. I have been splitting every night for about 2 hours (hand and machine) and so far have 3 cords for next year (Green), and about 6 cords for this year (Seasoned).
Luckily, I also got a bunch of hickory and cherry blown down from a fence line up on the farm, too bad for the mill, very good for me. August 1st was day one of my firewood permit for the state, and it's primarily black and river birch, with some maple thrown in. It costs $100 and is for 5 cord of wood. It's standing, and relatively small (easy) but the access is great, and the family loves the trail network.
This year should be a heck of a lot easier than last year thanks to you guys... But I can't help but wonder, can you actually have too many chainsaws? Just when I take pictures of one to think about selling it, I am quick to justify keeping it. That's about it for the year this year, take care everyone.
Jason

That kind of thinking will get you banned here!:greenchainsaw:

Nice job!

Is Lindrith in the Santa Fe or Carson district? I was looking at a map of some areas above Abiquiu Lake, wondering if there is any dead pinyon to cut.

Lindrith is over on the west side of the Santa Fe Nat'l forest. About 25 miles due north of Cuba, NM. Do you know where Cuba is? About 70 miles north of Albuquerque.

Where are you? I've got a bunch of beetle-kill pinon on my land that makes great firewood. The surrounding ranches also have some good pinon.

Folks here in NM are about split between cedar and pinon for firewood burning.

Nice Pic!

That's a pretty nice pile of wood there...It makes me kind of envious in all honesty. You see...I'm overseas right now and have been for most of the year. At the moment, I'm unable to add to my own stock supply. By the time I return stateside it'll be late year and I expect to be sitting on a small reserve...enough to see me through mind yah, but nothing to bragg about. What ton splitter are you running? Thanks for the post.

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Lindrith is over on the west side of the Santa Fe Nat'l forest. About 25 miles due north of Cuba, NM. Do you know where Cuba is? About 70 miles north of Albuquerque.

Where are you? I've got a bunch of beetle-kill pinon on my land that makes great firewood. The surrounding ranches also have some good pinon.

Folks here in NM are about split between cedar and pinon for firewood burning.

I'm just south of Abiquiu. I've been cutting on the Carson by El Rito and on the Santa Fe above the land grant, but pickings are getting thin. I went over to Cordova and cut a cord yesterday. It's not worth the drive. Once the bark beetles have a couple of years to chew on the burned Pondarosa in the Carson, they'll do like the Santa Fe, and let us cut it down. I took out seven or eight cords of mixed Pondarosa and pinyon (pinon) (I notice the Forest Service is spelling it both ways) a couple of weeks ago. Wish I were closer to you. Gary King said I could cut on his Ranch, but its on the other side of Santa Fe. I'm going to have to do some exploring.

quite a few guys in there cutting last year.by the lake.

I sent you an email. Which county are you in?

Mostly Black Birch and Maple, in the state forest in Glastonbury this year. Sometimes it is the top wood from the commercial harvests, but this year it needs to be felled as well. Shoot back a PM, I'll give more details.

Jason

it's way overgrown.i don't know if they don't give out enough permits or not many people apply.it really needs thinning.if you need some wood,my cell is 860-916-3290

That's a pretty nice pile of wood there...It makes me kind of envious in all honesty. You see...I'm overseas right now and have been for most of the year. At the moment, I'm unable to add to my own stock supply. By the time I return stateside it'll be late year and I expect to be sitting on a small reserve...enough to see me through mind yah, but nothing to bragg about. What ton splitter are you running? Thanks for the post.

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

I hope you're not near the Sandbox.

The splitter is one I got from HomeDepot... 21 or 23 tons or something like that. Works great.

I've seen commercial splitters you can buy for $5K and up, but I can't imagine I could use something any more efficiently than what I'm using now. I can't keep up with my splitter's current capability, let alone something more powerful.

I'll sell off a lot of the firewood I've got ready along about beginning late September.

I'm just south of Abiquiu. I've been cutting on the Carson by El Rito and on the Santa Fe above the land grant, but pickings are getting thin. I went over to Cordova and cut a cord yesterday. It's not worth the drive. Once the bark beetles have a couple of years to chew on the burned Pondarosa in the Carson, they'll do like the Santa Fe, and let us cut it down. I took out seven or eight cords of mixed Pondarosa and pinyon (pinon) (I notice the Forest Service is spelling it both ways) a couple of weeks ago. Wish I were closer to you. Gary King said I could cut on his Ranch, but its on the other side of Santa Fe. I'm going to have to do some exploring.

I thought the bark beetle only afflicted pinon, not ponderosa. At least the infestation in Northern NM beginning about 6 - 8 years ago was only in pinons.

South of Abiquiu... is that Espanola?

Well R Walter ,that's an impressive stack.I have around 8 or 9 cords split and stacked and likely another 15 laying on the ground.

I have a nearly unlimited supply of good stuff,oaks,hickory, cherry,hard maple.I really would not even have to cut a bit since this stuff comes from two tree services that I aid on occasion with their equipment repairs.

On the average year I burn 4 or 5 cords so I'm set for a goodly amount of time.

I have a pile of wood to go on the wood pile. Just haven't started piling the wood yet.

Been pretty hot and I've been playing "Logger Joe" on Hemlocks all year.

You don't happen to know where I can get hardwood logs (oak ect.) by the trailer load do you?

I thought the bark beetle only afflicted pinon, not ponderosa. At least the infestation in Northern NM beginning about 6 - 8 years ago was only in pinons.

South of Abiquiu... is that Espanola?

I live just a few miles below Abiquiu. ...I thought the same thing about bark beetles, but I've since learned different. I think pinons are weakened by drought quicker than the Pondarosa, making them susceptible to the beetles. If you have any fire scorched Pondarosa near you, take a look at the holes in the bark. Knock some off, and you'll find the beetles, though the ones I've cut don't seem to get the mold between the bark and the wood like the Pinons do. I guess it could be a different bark beetle, but when I discussed it with the Forest Service biologist, she didn't indicate that it was, and they look the same to me.

I have 2 years worth of heating in the back yard. I get green wood, so it has to bake for a year or 2 out back. Beyond that and I will get too many termites in the oak. Prolly only 3 cords, as it it does not get very cold here, and all I need is a tiny stove (Jotul F100)

Nice looking stack there - in So Cal it does not get that cold, but I always have a good pile of seasoned wood ready to roll in the winter. The little ones live for laying on the floor in front of the fireplace with dad and watching a show or two... :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back