How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burned maybe 5 cords, mostly dead standing oak. Learned years ago to add to the pile during the winter, if you can, to keep the pile up! Never know when something might happen to keep yah from getting firewood! Have about 10 cords out in the field, mostly aged oak! Some maple and beech. ThisThaw has Really helped cut down on the consumption!!!

Well that thaw is over now and wood piles will be taking a good hit this week. Looking at single digits for the next 4 nights here. I'm with you on continuing to cut during the winter. Got a great load of hard maple yesterday. Your 100% right about never knowing when sources or opportunities to get wood might not be there. I'm years ahead but.................

.....................activity in the store indicates lot's of folks running low if not out. One poor guy was in today to pick up his saw and says he's out of wood and down to a 1/4 tank of oil, so I know how he spent his afternoon. Another said he had about a week left. Sellers report frantic calls from customers, but I think they deal with some of that every year. Kind of the nature of the business.

Well that thaw is over now and wood piles will be taking a good hit this week. Looking at single digits for the next 4 nights here. I'm with you on continuing to cut during the winter. Got a great load of hard maple yesterday. Your 100% right about never knowing when sources or opportunities to get wood might not be there. I'm years ahead but.................

.....................activity in the store indicates lot's of folks running low if not out. One poor guy was in today to pick up his saw and says he's out of wood and down to a 1/4 tank of oil, so I know how he spent his afternoon. Another said he had about a week left. Sellers report frantic calls from customers, but I think they deal with some of that every year. Kind of the nature of the business.
If they're serious about burning with wood they nwill learn fast that heating with wood is a 12 month a year deal!! Some realize it and go on. Other's fall by the way side. Seen it over and over over the years!!
Heatin' with wood is like growin' old! Ain't for Sissy's!! :laugh: But it's a great life!!! :chop:

If wood is your only heat source you better be serious about it, and never let yourself get down to a "few days worth". I can not believe all the people scrambling for firewood in JANUARY. Poor preparation or just plain laziness. I bet their oil is changed and there vehicles waxed on a tight schedule. I would think keeping their family warm would be as much of a priority.

Absolutely great winter in michigan for having tons of wood last two weeks I've been running 6 cords a day. My wood pile is getting very low but the wallets liking the extra cash. Those mild winters lately have made people unprepared.

Last year I thought I was finally getting ahead with my firewood, figured i had enough c/s/s for half of winter 2014/2015. Ha! I heat 4000+ sq. ft. of house with a Jack add on furnace. House was built in 1980, good insulation, wood furnace was here when we bought the house 18 years ago. the other furnace is oil.:eek: I have not burned any oil this winter. The old Jack keeps the house plenty warm even in this frigid minus 20F weather.

I probably burned close to 5 full cords so far, more than I anticipated. I will be using what I thought would be next winters wood before spring comes. Will probably burn about 10 cord total.

During the 1st Arctic blast i noticed my wood furnace was drafting too much, I replaced the gaskets on the firebox door and ash door, made a HUGE difference-get a lot more heat out of a lot less wood now. Love wood heat, we stay toasty warm and keep our money out of the oil companies pocket. No problem keeping the house in the low to mid 70's in this sub zero weather. Man, I wonder how much nastier this cold weather would be without global warming! :laugh:

Working on next winters wood now, built my 1st holz hausen last weekend. I get logs delivered from a tree service, has a head start on drying as it has been dead for awhile.

wood.jpg

Mines getting down there maybe 1 cord left. Going to have to get out and score some more dead moss covered oak.

The people that are running low or are out of firewood aren't usually the ones that cut it themselves. The rising cost of propane, inability to get oil, and lack of natural gas in the area, not to mention the cost of electricity all make a big impact on the amount of wood used this season. Not to mention locally most started burning in September, two months early.

I don't know if I could handle living in a frigid climate like Alaska with a cold snap that lasts for months but from what I've seen and read about it I think it would be probably worth doing . Something about cold climates suits me better than say Florida weather. First thing I'd do is buy two blaze kings ( one for each side of the house. ) and then go moose hunting followed by some evening salmon fishing

Last edited:
The people that are running low or are out of firewood aren't usually the ones that cut it themselves. The rising cost of propane, inability to get oil, and lack of natural gas in the area, not to mention the cost of electricity all make a big impact on the amount of wood used this season. Not to mention locally most started burning in September, two months early.
Cut 3 loads for 1 ton dump truck with 4' sides tossed in and 1 pu trailer load of mostly dead standing,blowdowns of oak this past weekend. Problem was three of us and we divided it up. The tossed in load for me was about 10' long and 5' high and averaged about 20" long stacked up. I have some green but don't burn it yet in indoor firechief furnace.wood frnace.jpg

Been on here 5 yrs and can't use old name.

We have a gazebo 15ft. From the back door. It is my wife's domain in the warm months, but mine in the late fall through winter. I had just over 4 cords in there the last week of Oct. I was down to about a half, so I just went behind the barn and brought a cord up. Started using the wheelbarrow, but the sled worked better in the snow. Didn't do the best job stacking it in the gazebo since it's so damned cold out, but it is closer now. I have another 6 cord or so in the back and another 10 at my cutting buddies farm, so I won't run out. I am itching to get back out and get cutting though. Local golf course dropped 170 trees last winter. The owner is a good guy and I have carte Blanche to go get whatever is laying in the rough, just have to try to find time around work and the school/sports schedules of our four kids.

I'm getting very low on wood myself. I started this year with more than I burned all last winter but the weather this year got me. I should have been more prepared I guess. I'll be cutting this weekend. Cold or not I'll be out there.

in the mid 70s here...only burn at night once the sun goes down and temps get into the upper 30s-low 40s...gonna have plenty for next year at this rate. Usually by now we've gone through a cord to 1.5...I think I've hardly burned a half cord this season. :( (all the 'no-burn' days in Dec were a big contributor...stupid county...)

It's holding, stressed out but holding. This is my third year with the stove and by far the coldest winter since I started heating primarily with wood. The first year was a mild winter and I burnt just under 3 cord. Last year cold winter and increased to 4 cord, this year it's been colder the longest and most frequent since I got the stove. I had 5 cord going into this year and I'm thru 4 and onto the 5th, looks like I'm going to be in the 6 to 7 range to have enough from here on out.

This extreme cold just won't let up! I have already burned more than I did all last year so far. I won't run out but I am out cutting standing dead almost every day now. A full pick up load is lasting maybe 4 or 5 days. Arctic blast II is on us high temp. today hit minus -4f Forecast Sunday and Monday lows back down in the minus -20f's I have 2 free standing wood stoves in the house and one in the garage I don't use much unless I want to work out there. I know it is a lot of work but there is a propane shortage now and I heard some places the price of propane has doubled already. My buddy at work said he is burning through about $400 of propane a month now in this super cold weather.

I cut it last week , split some this afternoon , in the furnace as we speak , hot fire , no smoke , house is warm , I have a couple of cord cut and split from last month , I'll save it for next year if I can .
It'll be next year before I'm ahead , but I'm still warm now .

Latest posts

Back