hp for electric saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy in Kansas

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm building a modified version of the Logsol. I'm considering several options for powering the blade. Can anyone help with hp requirement for electric power? Also which speed motor would be best? Looks like the choices are 1750-3400 rpm. Is Direct drive a consideration? or is it going to be necessary to change speed with pulley's? So Many questions, This is a great bunch of guys. I've learned so much just by reading your response to questions ask.
Thanks Leroy

Hey Leroy, you never hear people complain about having to much motor. Not enough motor sucks though. I think the biggest motor you can use on single phase current is 10hp. A 10hp single phase motor will use somewhere in the ball park of 50 amps of 220 current. So you need to make sure you have that available. Also consider weight, my 10 hp weighs 140 pounds.
Not many people have 3 phase current but if you are lucky enough to have 3 phase the sky is the limit as far as hp is concerned. If you want something bigger than 10hp and only have single phase you could use a phase converter.
I dont know which motor speed would be better or if it would make a difference???? I do know you can change pulleys to get the speed you want.
I would think a belt would be a good idea incase something goes wrong the belt can slip.
I have never heard of 2 phase current??
Good luck :chainsaw:

The hardest part is getting to the proper R.P.M. Electric motors don't have alot of rpm compared to a 2stroke engine.Some major gearing will be in order for it to work good.Mark

Obviously it will work, as Logosol sells an electric version of their mill, I forget what the horsepower is, but if you look on "logosol.com" you can find out.
BTW that is a real nice mill that you are making.

Ohm's Law

Single phase electric motor's just are not going to make the grade just no torque....

Just ohm's law guys.

Also be careful with some Single phase to 3 phase converters they will run the motor but lousy performance.

Mark

Single phase electric motor's just are not going to make the grade just no torque....

Just ohm's law guys.

Also be careful with some Single phase to 3 phase converters they will run the motor but lousy performance.

Mark

This discussion pops up here every so often... and as an electronics tech, I know just enough about this to get me in trouble, but I have to agree with the above. As he said, it's ohm's law, pure and simple. Power equels current (amps) times voltage, and power is what you need to pull a chain through hardwood. You just can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, period. Milling takes lots of torque, raw low end power. Sure, you can configure a single phase motor to mill, but you better have a lot of patience, and how much will that thing bog down as soon as it has to really work hard, even if you gear it down. I'm sure under the right circumstances (like a power cord the size of a garden hose coming right from your 400 amp service in your house) you can mill with a huge single phase motor, but I think that lack of torque will get real old quick. But hey, if you're somewhere that you have to use electric, it might be the only horse in town.

Well, sounds like electric isn't the way to go. Sooooooooooo the next option I have available would be the hydraulic power supply. I've found a vain motor that will turn in the 2600 rpm range and puts out around 20-26 hp. The cost is about what a lesser expensive saw will cost. Has anyone tried using hydraulic and what was the do and don't.

Your fabricating skills look pretty good to me.
Have you got any pics of the method you have chosen to adjust the log
height.?

One recurring thought I have got is of having the top rail adjustable from
the horizontal axis to the vertical.I know it is possible.

This way,I reckon you could do the top slab cut/s, then turn the rail & saw 90* , and do a vertical cut. Some simple method of moving the log inwards to the cutting head would be required though. Nothings impossible.

just remember if using hydrolics yuo also ned a hydrolic pump and petrol/electric motor to run it.

i reckon the speed streight off the saw would be heaps the lucas/peterson sawmills have the chain driving streight off the petrol motor and an electric runs mutch faster that one of them.

Nice looking work Leroy,

The electric motor that Logosol offers is a 3 phase 220V 30amp motor. They state it at 15hp with a phase converter. It runs a guide bar with the pmx chain they use and has an oiler system built on. It's about 70 lbs and big money at close too 6G. :cheers:

Your fabricating skills look pretty good to me.
Have you got any pics of the method you have chosen to adjust the log
height.?

One recurring thought I have got is of having the top rail adjustable from
the horizontal axis to the vertical.I know it is possible.

This way,I reckon you could do the top slab cut/s, then turn the rail & saw 90* , and do a vertical cut. Some simple method of moving the log inwards to the cutting head would be required though. Nothings impossible.

here are the pic's of the lift mech. It's rather simple to build. I used 1" sq. tube with a 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" angle for the slide mechanism. and the winch is a 5/8" cold roll round that sticks through holes on the angle.

I haven't given much thought to an adjustable horizontal axis to the vertical. I'm sure there would be a way to do it. I'm sure one would certainly want some sort of wood on top of the lift mech. just to attempt to save a chain.

Well I'm having difficulty with the attachments? Will see if I can post the pics seperate? Leroy

Very nice job Leroy... where are you when I need some serious welding done? Lots of talent on this forum, that's for sure. Can't wait to see this rig in action. What color are you going to paint it? I pic John Deere green. (or IH red if you're a Farmall guy)

Very nice job Leroy... where are you when I need some serious welding done? Lots of talent on this forum, that's for sure. Can't wait to see this rig in action. What color are you going to paint it? I pic John Deere green. (or IH red if you're a Farmall guy)

How about neon green?

leroy, how many amps do you have available? this seems to be the determining factor on wether electric is an option. you dont need that much hp to run a bandmill, but a chainsaw mill is going to take at least a 7.5 and probabaly a 10 hp three phase and bigger probably still better. rotary converters are nearly as good as the real thing. im also checking into variable frequency drives. I think im coming from a similar place. all the mills ive been designing in my head are electric. Ive been trying to work out what size generator id need to run a a 10 hp three phase to make portability a possibility.

ttoberer, If you are just going to use a 7.5 or a 10hp why bother with 3 phase? You can do either of those in single phase.

Leroy, I am hoping for some neon pictures.

I wish I had more power, I am using a 10hp ( with a piece of wire the size of a garden hose ) and wish I had more. If I went to a 20hp 3phase is there a way to make it varible speed? So I could maybe turn the dial down and slow or stop the Blade? Had a guy a while back told me I needed a DC motor for that ??? I dont know ther difference between AC and DC when it comes to this.

Latest posts

Back