Huge Old Elm Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrausch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a huge old Elm tree growing behind my barn. It's around 3+ feet in Diameter measured at about 3 feet above ground level. It lost a few big limbs in an ice storm 4 years ago, but seems to still be growing well. I try to keep all dead limbs picked up off the ground around it, as I understand that will help keep Dutch Elm Disease at bay.

Any other advice for this huge :heart: old tree? I'd like to take as good care of it as I can.

Hey Ronny what kind of fungicide do you use?

Re care, have it climbed and inspected by a pro. That storm damage left ragged wounds that could be decaying, so some restoration pruning may be in order. Post a picture for better advice.

Attached is my approach to ice damage. 8 years old but still works. I'll be in MO this winter--pm me if you want to set up a time.

Picking up limbs MAY(?) discourage Elm Bark Beetle the carrier of DED but, a macro-infusion of Arbortect 20S is the best bet to keep it from becoming infected. The tree should be inspected to be as sure as possible that its NOT infected PRIOR to the injection. Arbortect only PREVENTS it will not cure an infection. Check out the Rainbow Tree Scientific Advancements website to see how macro-infusion can be done. It is expensive but is done at a 2 to 3 year rate (depending on how high the infection pressure in the area is.)

Latest posts

Back