huge red oak limb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
well a huge red oak limb in my parents back yard hit the ground. today was clean up/ firewood time. the tree will totally be down with in a few years its on the down slope but i cant cut it to the ground just yet .some pics for you all to enjoy. ooo does it feel good to let the 036 eat some wood. keep on cutting guys.
AsIphone328.jpg

AsIphone320.jpg

iam 6'1'' 250
AsIphone308.jpg

the rip
AsIphone305.jpg

the tree
AsIphone330.jpg

yea yea chaps i know.
AsIphone331.jpg

the limb
AsIphone347.jpg

brother inlaw
AsIphone295.jpg

the end

Last edited:
Amazing how big those red oak trees get. I also love the way you can split it all by hand. Give it 18 months or so to dry. Oak takes forever before it's ready for the stove.

Where would we be without our 60 cc Stihls? If I had to throw all my saws away and keep one, the Stihl 361 would remain (newer version of your 360).
:greenchainsaw:

red oak takes 6 months wen split to sell are you climbing that tree to take down or can you drop it tom trees

gonna let mother nature do her thing....if another huge lead goes it will be time to go. that was a side limb and the crown is still all there but you can tell the tips of the limbs are starting to go. but yea its wide open and ready to drop. olny issue is if it goes backwards its in water.. but a rope and a well cut notch/wedge will get it to go no issues just might need a longer bar.

Nice work. And not to be a safety dork, but besides adding chaps... I always try and wear clothing that doesn't fit loose and without drawstrings and what not. Just better not to have anything that could get tangled or hung up.

Red oak burns nice though, and splits nice. It's my third favorite firewood behind ash and hickory.

Tom trees said, "red oak takes 6 months wen split to sell"
--------------
Perhaps, but if split green, it will not be ready to burn in 6 months if air dried. The branch of this tree was cut green.

Wouldn't put that in the green category looks like that limb has been dead for some time. Though it hasn't been exposed to the elements to precipitate drying it also hasn't been receiving water or nutrients for some time. I think it will be burnable in 6 months without a doubt.

Wow, still trees that big in Mass. Good for you! I love working with Oak.

One limb already fell in that spot.... not sure if I'd hang out there and cut it. Certainly would have been looking up alot and would wear a helmet so the funeral could be open casket.

KRS

Wouldn't put that in the green category looks like that limb has been dead for some time. Though it hasn't been exposed to the elements to precipitate drying it also hasn't been receiving water or nutrients for some time. I think it will be burnable in 6 months without a doubt.

I do it...gets hot here in Va. in the summer, dries anything out.

Back