Hurricane Lilli

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Looks like it will hit land tomorrow afternoon near the Texas-Louisiana border. News is talking about how New Orleans is one of the worst cities a hurricane could hit. It also looks like it will probably more-or-less follow the Mississippi river up towards Ohio.

Anybody here in the path of this storm? Anything we can do to help?

Anyone need a 'hired gun' tree slut for cleanup afterwards? :p

How do you get lined up with storm work? My dad ran into a tree crew a couple of weeks ago from Alabama, coming back from Indiana. Said they had worked up there for three or four days as hard as the could and groundies were clearing $1k. I didn't even know they had a bad storm anywhere near Indiana.

Is there a network that you can get linked up with or is it just the word of mouth. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

palmer

Even though I've never chased storm work, I have talked with people who have. The best bet is to have your work lined up before leaving your house. Showing up 'cold' and trying to sell work with an out-of-state occupational license (or none at all) is chancy at best. Hooking up with a local company or two is the best way to go, either subbing work or working as a temp. employee.
I wouldn't leave home unless I had someone to work for all lined up.

in line with lilly

I am in line with the storm but the storm of last week just brought us a lot of rain and SOME wind.... no big damage here... I expect about the same or at least less rain in this one.... the wind gust is expected to stay 35-40 so I don't think it will hurt us much..... or that there will be alot of work out of it... 70% chance of rain here for friday.....

One:
If you know a company near the area and can work with them - everyone hires whatever's needed if the storm is serious enough.

Two:
Don't go anywhere until several days afterwards - that way you'll know what's hit and the hardest. Motels, shelters, homes, if the storm is of a magnitude like Hugo, Andrew, etc., the infrastructures of the most serious hit areas are pretty much wasted - many homeless, impassable areas, food shortages, water, etc. Get a tetanus booster before you go.

Three:
There's room for just showing-up. A quick phone or personal registry at the city offices, emergency management agencies, police depts, and most necessary, an Insurance office - get on their phone lists, when a major disaster hits they will certainly use you as long as some basic references can be shown, out of state residence makes no difference. Plan to locate to the area for several weeks, getting a motel is the hardest obstacle. Just touring around in a pick-up waiting to get requests presents problems all around but it's been done before. Have someone at home that can ship you extra tools, supplies, etc.

165 wrote:

It also looks like it will probably more-or-less follow the Mississippi river up
towards Ohio.

Wait a second, if it follows the Mighty Miss we'll see it up here in the land of 10,000 Lakes. :) in order to get to Ohio we need to shove it up the Ohio river. Maybe Lilli needs a GPS...

If you go to the ISA site and search for CAs you will have a better chance of connecting with quality arbos. Most of the ISA chapters have thier own web pages too. Some of them list their members info.

Tom

Why in the heck cant we get storms out hear in La La land ?Alls we get is mild 70 degrees weather in winter.But then we did have a big storm last weekend . Brought our rainfall total for this yr. up to 1.56 in of rain for the yr.

You're living on the edge, though. The edge that may start slippin' 'n' slidin' to the Marianas Trench! Imagine the work on the part that stays connected...it would be quite an earthquake.

Nickrosis

When California breaks off and falls into the ocean, will Las Vegas be at the beach?

Put me on the list of climbers willing to travel. I'm setting up temporary jobs to work my way back to TCI starting October 12th. I'd appreciate any leads to tree care companies that need to add an arborist to their crew.

Back