Huskee 27 ton Locked up!! The saga begins.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speeco and Carolyn are the best!

Carolyn was my point of contact for my issue as well (Bent Toe). The BEST customer service I've seen from any company. I also opted to do my own repair just to avoid transporting the splitter (and maybe save Speeco a few bucks since they are a company I'd like to see in business for a long time).

Previously, just based on performance and value, I've recommended their splitters to multiple people. Now I can add great customer service to the list of "why to buy Speeco".

Thanks Carolyn!

Coldfront:

No engine oil is made to foam on purpose. Anti-foam is added to both detergent and non-detergent oils to prevent foaming as it is undesirable in an engine.....it is not part of the cleaning process. Foaming occurs when small air bubbles form as the oil bounces around in the engine - and additives in the oil help to dissipate the bubbles. Non-detergent oils are old technology and should not be used in any modern engines - however for some reason it is still required for use in air some air compressors.

Beware of new technology, when something works for years, and years, and years, and years, with no problems, then all of a sudden some college boy engineer comes along and has to justify his job so he changes things, so called "New Technology" red lights start flashing in my mind. Now days I don't think you can buy a car, lawn mower, outboard motor, snowmobile, etc. that the engine will last 10 years. My 1957 5.5 hp Evinrude outboard still purrs like a kitten, also my 1981 John Deere snowmobile and back in those days oh my god we had old technology oil.

Last edited:
Beware of new technology, when something works for years, and years, and years, and years, with no problems, then all of a sudden some college boy engineer comes along and has to justify his job so he changes things, so called "New Technology" red lights start flashing in my mind. Now days I don't think you can buy a car, lawn mower, outboard motor, snowmobile, etc. that the engine will last 10 years. My 1957 5.5 hp Evinrude outboard still purrs like a kitten, also my 1981 John Deere snowmobile and back in those days oh my god we had old technology oil.

Well I do agree that most of the Chinese copy and Big Box store stuff will not last as long as it should - and I am not yet convinced that the changes needed to comply with the 2010 EPA requirements are going to be a good thing. I do however believe that most of the quality products will still last a long time. My wife's VW has 235,000 miles on it and it still is going strong and we plan on getting 300,000 miles on it before we decide if it is time to get her a new one. Our survey crew trucks at work usually get 200,000 miles on them before we upgrade to a new ones, my lawn mowers have Briggs and Honda engines and I have never blown anything up and I mow about 5 acres and put a lot of hours on them - however I am aware that new mowers are getting engines installed that look pretty cheaply built and that includes engines made by Briggs, Honda and some Chinese knock offs. I am 52 and I will never wear out the Stihl saws I have purchased recently....they will most likely be the last saws I ever have to buy unless some CAD kicks in. The only problems I have ever had with any equipment having longevity is with the Poulan leaf blower I own and a McCoullough chainsaw and trimmer I used to own....the engines run fine but there were always parts coming loose or falling off....they were made as cheap homeowner equipment and I believe I just use them more than they were evey intended to last. The McCoullough saw and trimmer were given to me by a fellow that could not keep them running and I bought the Poulan blower at Lowe's thinking I really wouldn't use a leaf blower much (but I was wrong). I now have a Stihl and Kawasaki trimmers and they work great.....and when I finally get tired of patching up the Poulan blower I will replace it with a Stihl. (Maybe the Poulan is a good place to try the Amsoil Sabre mixed at 100:1!). The big box stores are catering to people that are intermittent/occasional users that are shopping price more than reliability....and as long as that trend continues there will be cheap crappy products for sale. It is not the fault of the Young College Boy Engineer....it is the fault of the accountants and marketing people that the new products are lacking quality....it seems that cheap prices sell products more than quality these days.

I'll have to call Carolyn. My new 35 T Speeco has over 1/4" of play at the wheels. I called Eric Ryan and he could not tell me how to adjust the bearings. I haven't had time to take it apart and see what type of bearing is used. It has about 35 miles of travel on the unit.

Thanks for allowing SpeeCo the opportunity to work with you on the locked up pump. About 75-80 percent of the time when folks call in with those symptoms it ends up being the coupler, so thanks for ruling that possibility out.

We have made arrangements for the pump to be sent to you direct with the requirement that the old one is returned to us. Let me know if run into any problems with the install.

Carolyn @ Speeco (AKA "nice lady")

Nice to have a company rep on the forum. Sounds like Speeco's customer service is top notch.

Kevin

I must also say kudos to Speeco ! Ive read of a few people here who have had problems with their Speeco splitters, and every time have had good customer service from Speeco. I already own a stand alone splitter, but i'd like to have a tractor powered splitter hanging around the house. It WILL be a Speeco........ and if i ever need to replace my MTD, I'll do so with a Speeco. With all the cheap crap out on the market, its great to see a company put out an affordable product that is well made, AND STAND BEHIND IT !!! :cheers:

I'll have to call Carolyn. My new 35 T Speeco has over 1/4" of play at the wheels. I called Eric Ryan and he could not tell me how to adjust the bearings. I haven't had time to take it apart and see what type of bearing is used. It has about 35 miles of travel on the unit.

The Speeco splitter I used this year I repacked the wheel bearings they adjust the same as any trailer wheels, Take the hub cap off then take the cotter pin out and tighten the nut just until it gets tight, then back it off one flat side of the nut and reinstall the cotter pin. When the tire is jacked up off the ground there should be a small amount of play but not much, a 1/4" is way to loose.

You can't talk to anybody in Bombay, India anymore. It has been renamed Mayanmar or something like that.

5-30 was for the C A F E rating for usa corprate avarage fuel economy
That is what i told anyway the newer cars and truck run lower oil pressure
and thinner oil.Everybody likes thick oil because the gauge goes up to me
that just means less oil is going thru the motor .Like dumping syrup down a drain.

I do give speeco a big hand i tell you what just to talk to a live english
speaking person anymore is a joy plus having a smart person help WOW:clap:

Just a thought, if I had a hyd pump lock up, I wouldn't be installing the new one without flushing the entire hyd system out and installing a new filter.

That means cyls, control valves etc, theres probably metal floating around in the system now.

that just means less oil is going thru the motor .Like dumping syrup down a drain.

The wifes new Jeep runs the 5-30. No big deal untill ya try to find the stuff!
I figure in time it will be as common as 10-30 and 10-40.

The parasitic drag from a heavier oil is significant in the Cold and as long as the lighter weight stuff protects well, I'm all for the easier starts, better milage, and power.

LOL!! Old used car sales trick, to jack Oil pressure back up, was to run a quart of straight 50 weight with the rest 40wt. Worked great on clapped out Windsor motors, and hushed some bearing knocks.
If ya do that now days, the lifters wont pump up enough and rattle.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Just a thought, if I had a hyd pump lock up, I wouldn't be installing the new one without flushing the entire hyd system out and installing a new filter.

That means cyls, control valves etc, theres probably metal floating around in the system now.

Mark,
Thanks!!! I was thinking about that today. Last hydro pump I had fail, pretty much shattered inside,and it's downstream of the filter.

A Couple Jugs of universal is cheap insurance.

Just gotta figure out a proper catch basin as a 5 Gallon bucket sits too high.;)

Thanks!
Dingeryote

My buddy popped the 4.6 in his mustang, and it reccomends 5w20 oil. We were discussing it and came to the conclusion that he should go 10w30. Well, we did some research, and according to sean hyland's book on 4.6 mod motors, the orfices that oil the cam and lifters are very tiny, and 5w20 is what is required to oil properly. A thicker oil won't get through quick enough. So i assume this is the case with most all OHC engines, and other newer hi tech stuff.

Update.

:clap: On the way back to the house from the Barn this afternoon, the BBT driver met me with the replacement pump from Speeco.

It finally got here!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

I'm gonna wait untill tomorrow to heat up the shop and swap things out, as it will take a couple hours to get the shop warm enough for the Coffee pot to work.:D

Thanks again to Carolyn!!!
The dead pump will get bagged and tagged tomorrow for pick up.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

wheel bearing packing

Frank,

I haven't done it myself, but I have forwarded your message to one of my Engineers who will get you a reply Friday. Seems like a lot of play. Were you the one with the question about the tapered or ball bearings? That answer, as you probably found out, was tapered. Sorry about the delay in response.

If the bearings are bad I can get you out a new set of tires. Too new to even worry about stuff like that. Just get me your address and we can get you taken care of.

Regards,

Carolyn x 146

Back