Huskee 28 ton = 12 second cycle time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
They cycle time for the Speeco/Huskee 28 ton model is listed as 12 seconds on the Speeco website. That's on par with I&O and TW for their lower end models. Does anyone have the Speeco/Huskee 28 ton model to verify this?

Ain't no where close to that.. My 28 ton is 19 seconds round trip.. It is slower than my 30+ year old brave splitter,..

I have a copy of the 2009 Tractor Supply Outdoor Power Equipment literature in front of me, and it lists the 28 horse Huskee with the black 190 cc engine, 11 gpm pump, with an 18 second cycle time.

But that brings up another question: I saw one at the store (Tractor Supply), but they don't list that model (2152374) on their web site. It's in the 2009 catalog. I googled it and found a cached copy from a few weeks ago, but it is not listed on their site currently.

What's up with that?

I have a copy of the 2009 Tractor Supply Outdoor Power Equipment literature in front of me, and it lists the 28 horse Huskee with the black 190 cc engine, 11 gpm pump, with an 18 second cycle time.

But that brings up another question: I saw one at the store (Tractor Supply), but they don't list that model (2152374) on their web site. It's in the 2009 catalog. I googled it and found a cached copy from a few weeks ago, but it is not listed on their site currently.

What's up with that?

Yeah, 18 seconds is what I recall from looking at tag on 28 ton models at TSC in late 2008. I ruled out getting that model because of it. I was just surprised to see the 12 sec time now on the Speeco website.

I doubt if this will help but the specs on my Troy-Built 33 ton say a 15 sec cycle time and the max log capacity of 25". It has the Automatic Cylinder Return so i bust a a slab till its done then i give it the full pull so to speak on the lever for return and when I get the next slab on the beam its ready to go back to work. If someone is off loading for me and feeding me slabs it goes even faster. I can go time the full no load pass for ya if your interested. All I have to say is I am totaly satisfied with this splitter.

I googled to see what the Huskee brand was all about, and it looks like a decent piece of equipment, but.... all I can really say is give a close look at the Troy Built 33 ton!!!!!!!! lotta differences that you will appreciate. :)

Edit: to be more specific look at the rolled edge guide for the wedge run, drop a healthy chunk of wood on that and it will bend and bund up the wedge on the pass, look for a splitter design that doesnt have that and there isnt anything to damage that will stop the wedge from making its pass, or if you do damage something its not going to require welding in new metal or prying it almost back to shape with a bar etc. Seriously think about what you can damage there and look at other brands and home built designs to get an idea. http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_10113_55971_-1

Last edited:
They cycle time for the Speeco/Huskee 28 ton model is listed as 12 seconds on the Speeco website. That's on par with I&O and TW for their lower end models. Does anyone have the Speeco/Huskee 28 ton model to verify this?

Which model is it listing the 12 second cycle time? We don't list the Huskee models on the SpeeCo website, what SpeeCo sells to other customers and what TSC buys as Huskee splitters are not always the same, we do some changes to meet their needs and wants. Let me know which model you are looking at and I can verify.

Edit: to be more specific look at the rolled edge guide for the wedge run, drop a healthy chunk of wood on that and it will bend and bund up the wedge on the pass, .....

If you drop a piece of wood on the wedge guide and bend it, we will replace the beam. We have done more destructive tests than dropping a piece of wood as you would in normal splitting and in normal (even abusive) use it won't bend enough to interfere with the wedge travel.

I guess I should apologize for my comment then. I was not specifically referring to your product, I was meaning it in general to that rolled edge design. I have seen a design like that bend once splitting a very large slab of oak. I can say it was not your brand so I will have to say that your products must be using a thicker gauge of steel than the one I was around. Again I meant no ill will towards your company or products, it was just a reference to a design feature that I did see fail in the field.

As far as the cycle time on the Troy Built. I just went out and fired it up and timed 5 passes on it all of which were between 15 and 16 seconds for a full pass.

My impression on the speeco splitter.as an owner

I will agree with Chad..Gonna take more than dropping a piece of firewood on it to bend that healthy piece of rolled metal.
I will vouch for their service after the sale..I have a brand new beam in the barn after the foot plate bent on my 28 ton.
Would there be things done differently if I was engineering this splitter?Yes. several.First, faster pump-cycle times.Stronger tongue where the beam pins when in the horizontal position.Mine already has a nice divot where the beam carries. I know it has never been dropped from vertical to horizontal.Because it has never been used vertically. I would also attach a couple of handles out near the ball end to be able to more easily move it around, hitching and such.
I would have welded a piece of tubing into the jack stand on the upper end where the pin must go so one does not have to try to align pin through both sides of 2 inch tube.
I realize all the measures would add cost. But a quality built product would make it more of a no brainer when guys come here and start asking questions about buying a splitter.
That beam design is a lot better than umpteen bolts to vibrate loose clamping over a beam flange.
I have never, ever stalled this splitter and trust me it all goes on the beam.I have slowed it down to first gear many times to many.

I never did understand the big emphasis on the cycle time- rarely do I use the full cycle when splitting - most woods pops when you are about 6 inches into log. The exception would be the large logs and knotty stuff. I would concentrate on good conponents, quality construction and good engine. When splitting alone, I find you spend more time moving the logs than worrying about cycle time.

Which model is it listing the 12 second cycle time? We don't list the Huskee models on the SpeeCo website, what SpeeCo sells to other customers and what TSC buys as Huskee splitters are not always the same, we do some changes to meet their needs and wants. Let me know which model you are looking at and I can verify.

Right now when I check the SpeeCo website, there are three and only three 28 ton models listed:

speeco28ton.jpg

SpeeCo website indicates that each is sold at TSC in my area.
SpeeCo website inticates that each has 12 second cycle time.

I understand what you're saying about how there may be differences. I just never have seen a 12 second anything at TSC under Huskee, Speeco, or other name.

EDIT: Aha! I clicked on the images and saw that they say SplitMaster and not Huskee. I also see that now the TSC website now only lists the 22 ton Huskee (they had listed more in recent months), even though my TSC's have 22, 28, and 35 ton models still in their lots.

Last edited:
Ok, several topics in this now...

As far as ericjeeper's comments:

Tongue redesign is something that has been considered. Something is in the works, however as you mentioned, cost constraints are an issue. Everything you mentioned has been addressed on design and prototyping, but I can't guarantee that all (or even any) of the changes will make it to the consumer model splitters. The beam design is also being looked at. You guys will see some of the changes in a neighboring category very soon though.

On Treepointer's comments:

The advertised cycle times are calculated cycle times. In the interest of consistancy, that is how it was decided to rate cycle times. Based on the 4.5 inch cylinder and the 16 gpm pump (which all 28 ton models have), the cycle time is calculated to be right about 12 seconds. As far as how critical cycle time is, it depends. Some wood does pop apart quickly (cured oak, elm...), cycle time isn't an issue there, but the force to get it to pop can be. Some wood (stringy woods like cottonwood, some pines) need the full stroke. For that, I would actually prefer a 4 inch cylinder with a 16 gpm pump but we don't currently offer that.

TSC does have access to any splitter we sell (I know some stores have ordered the electric start Deluxe Model to put on the floor), anything can be special ordered from our entire line of splitters, diggers, parts, etc. I believe, but the Huskee splitters that TSC stocks are not advertised on our website (that I am aware of) and in some cases are slightly different than the SplitMaster models.

No problem raccerx67, just wanted to make sure everyone knows we don't take our durability lightly. If you know of a manufacturer using a similar design, please let me know as we do have a valid patent on the log cradle feature. We are aware of one splitter available in a similar style, but it's not in the US marketplace.

The advertised cycle times are calculated cycle times. In the interest of consistancy, that is how it was decided to rate cycle times. Based on the 4.5 inch cylinder and the 16 gpm pump (which all 28 ton models have), the cycle time is calculated to be right about 12 seconds.

Hi Chad! Good to see a "Off cover" manufacture rep here on the forum.

I have a couple of questions about your splitters.

I have looked into most of the common brands of splitters and it seems like the very most of them are over rated on splitting force. Sometimes it is hard to tell, because all vital numbers (usually the system pressure and the pump displacement cui/rev) are not provided from the manufacturer. I usually find math ok about cycle time, if the gpm's at a reasonable rpm are correct or near by.

But let us talk about this 28 ton SpeeCo.
With a 4.5 inch bore you will need a 3500+psi system (relief valve setting) pressure to provide 28 tons of splitting force.
Most components used in splitters today, like pumps, valves and cylinders are usually rated for system pressure lower than, or equal to, 3000psi (207bar).

1. Can you tell what pump make model#/rating, cylinder make/rating, directional valve make model#/rating, and system pressure (relief valve setting) this 28ton splitter is built with??

2. At what rpm's do I get the 16gpm from the pump, or what is the pump displacement on high and low pressure?

3. Have you ever concidered using a pressure sensitive regenerative valve between the directional valve and the cylinder? That would give the splitter a real cycle time boost, and no 2-stage pump would be necessary.

Looking forward to your answer!

Best Regards!

Per A
aw come on!

website material

What's up with that?
I think they make a Speeco brand where not all the options are the same. Some of the Huskee units for TSC are built a bit differently, maybe a smaller gpm pump is why the cycle time is less than the one on the website.

Hi Chad! Good to see a "Off cover" manufacture rep here on the forum.

I have a couple of questions about your splitters.

I have looked into most of the common brands of splitters and it seems like the very most of them are over rated on splitting force. Sometimes it is hard to tell, because all vital numbers (usually the system pressure and the pump displacement cui/rev) are not provided from the manufacturer. I usually find math ok about cycle time, if the gpm's at a reasonable rpm are correct or near by.

But let us talk about this 28 ton SpeeCo.
With a 4.5 inch bore you will need a 3500+psi system (relief valve setting) pressure to provide 28 tons of splitting force.
Most components used in splitters today, like pumps, valves and cylinders are usually rated for system pressure lower than, or equal to, 3000psi (207bar).

1. Can you tell what pump make model#/rating, cylinder make/rating, directional valve make model#/rating, and system pressure (relief valve setting) this 28ton splitter is built with??

2. At what rpm's do I get the 16gpm from the pump, or what is the pump displacement on high and low pressure?

3. Have you ever concidered using a pressure sensitive regenerative valve between the directional valve and the cylinder? That would give the splitter a real cycle time boost, and no 2-stage pump would be necessary.

Looking forward to your answer!

Best Regards!

Per A
aw come on!

:popcorn::popcorn:

I would like to jump in here to with a few comments. Both me and my Neighbor Earl use the 22ton model (I know most of you here have seen me post a million times). Overall the unit has worked flawless and Earl (if he had a cycle meter) has at least a million cycles on his. He uses his nearly everyday of the year. Just recently he wore out the engine and had to replace it. Cylinder still no leaks. But me and him both have bent the ram gates which in turn will bend the the log cradle. I've posted on this before as I see it as a weak spot in the design. I really like the feature but it needs beefed up. If a piece gets stuck and you retract it back through the gates, odd shaped pieces can wedge themselves in such a way as to bend out the gate thus bending up the angle its attached to.I would simply suggest heavier material for the log cradle. Also you stop the wedge too far from the plate. Stringy wood can be a pain if you can't full split it. Need to shorten the beam so that the wedge comes within 1/8" of the plate. Earl modded his as he got tired of having to pry pieces apart. You must not have any elm in Colorado.

Eric Ink, what you suggest for the stand alone model is some good ideas. Its those little nickel dime things that really make the difference. With the volume sales they must have I would think just a little extra niceties would jump them up a notch in overall satisfaction.

BTW, with oil up to operating temp I'm at an actual 6sec cycle and I still want more. Or at least would like to slow the engine down and keep what I've got. Some time I might try a 3 1/2" cylinder just to see since the 4" has all the power I need. chadincolo, I'm using your beam and valve assy on my own frame and Prince pump, 22gpm at 540. If you built a splitter with those cycle times you would be selling them fast, very fast heheheheheee.

cycle time is over rated,, i'm always on the lever value ,, up down,, down ,,up,, only a few times does the unit fully cycle down , and full return,, This is not the space shuttle dudes,, its a motorized ram , and allot of steel. If you don't have time , buy split wood.. :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back