Huskee 35 ton exhaust blowing towards operator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have any solutions for the Huskee 35 ton splitters where the exhaust is blowing right at the operator? I know the newer models they moved the engine to the opposite side of the operator, but i'm hoping to keep using ours till we absolutely have to buy another one.. Any suggestions? The little piece that pretended to deflect downward doesn't really help the problem as the fumes and even stirred wood dust just constantly hound you..

Other than that, this has been a great splitter.. Just hate that sick feeling after using it for a while not to mention how hot it gets depending on the time of year using it...

Same Splitter

I've got the same splitter - the model with the engine on the operator's side. Really haven't been bothered with that exhaust that much. But the engine noise is bad so I use hearing protection when running the splitter.

Making a diverter should take care of that exhaust problem by sending it off in another direction.

Nosmo

pic

here is a pic of a conduit we attached to the muffler trying to redirect it under and out the other side, but its not working out well and it stirrs up a lotta dirt etc, its not an exact fit as well so you can imagine the chaos it can cause.. If I knew what to get, i'd buy a different muffler and attach if I could get one to fit

Somewheres here there is a pic of a real nice little copper pipe elbow that someone used to deflect the engine exhaust on their splitter. Once AS gets the search feature back online, I'll hafta see if I can find it.

I haven't put a deflector on mine yet, but I make sure to orient the splitter so that I'm standing upwind from the exhaust.

Not always an option i'm afraid, in middle TN, the weather here is, well unpredictable.. If theres a good steady breeze the exhaust isn't too bad really. You create a drag standing in the operators position a bit, but its tolerable.. Non windy days.. Your sucking in carbon monoxide.

Somewheres here there is a pic of a real nice little copper pipe elbow that someone used to deflect the engine exhaust on their splitter. Once AS gets the search feature back online, I'll hafta see if I can find it.

I would like to see that actually

Not always an option i'm afraid, in middle TN, the weather here is, well unpredictable.. If theres a good steady breeze the exhaust isn't too bad really. You create a drag standing in the operators position a bit, but its tolerable.. Non windy days.. Your sucking in carbon monoxide.

I agree. The "upwind" idea doesn't always work. My plan is to weld on a deflector soon. Heavy splitting season for me won't start until I cut a few more fields.

I've had that "wrong side" splitter for some years now. ALWAYS PITA. Between the exhaust, noise, & heat I'm ready to dump it. Tried to replace the engine with one that had the exhuast on the other side but couldn't find a replacement that worked. I did try a 5' section of 2" flexible pipe but it kept falling off. And yes, that stock deflector is worthless. SpeeCo really messed up with this design.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone can come up with a fix.

One of the big selling points for me when I bought my speeco 28 ton, the engine is on the opposite side of the control lever.

Anyone have any solutions for the Huskee 35 ton splitters where the exhaust is blowing right at the operator? I know the newer models they moved the engine to the opposite side of the operator, but i'm hoping to keep using ours till we absolutely have to buy another one.. Any suggestions? The little piece that pretended to deflect downward doesn't really help the problem as the fumes and even stirred wood dust just constantly hound you..

Other than that, this has been a great splitter.. Just hate that sick feeling after using it for a while not to mention how hot it gets depending on the time of year using it...
I emailed speeco at [email protected] or call shawn at 1 800 525 8322 ext 1147 and they made some exhaust pieces and shipped to my house for free ! Bolted right on and blows exhaust away from you.Worked good and looked good.

I'm not familiar with that setup but something I did for my generator might possibly help. Some of the mufflers on small engines are pipe thread, so I went to Menards and picked up elbows and pipe and couplers to redirect the entire thing while still putting the muffler on the end with a female/female coupler. I also did something similar to the oil drain on my craftsman mower to ease oil changes.

I'm not familiar with that setup but something I did for my generator might possibly help. Some of the mufflers on small engines are pipe thread, so I went to Menards and picked up elbows and pipe and couplers to redirect the entire thing while still putting the muffler on the end with a female/female coupler. I also did something similar to the oil drain on my craftsman mower to ease oil changes.

Yep, done that, too, and easy with normal plumbing stuff.

Latest posts

Back