Huskee hydraulic hose replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been very pleased with my Huskee 35-ton splitter, but I think I need a hose replacement. There are two issues:

1.) The return hose touches the cylinder as it passes back to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. The cylinder can get really hot, and I fear this may become a point of potential failure. Should I be concerned about this?

HydraulicReturnHose001.jpg

2.) The other end of that same hose somehow became pinched just before connecting to the filter/reservoir. I noticed it while inspecting the machine after a long splitting session, and my best guess is that some split logs fell on it from the beam or from the splits that piled up during a long splitting session.

HydraulicReturnHose002.jpg

HydraulicReturnHose003.jpg

So my thinking is that the hose should be replaced. I could go with a section of the same type of hose and use the same type of clamps, but I think I need a stronger (& stiffer) hose to keep it off the cylinder and one that can take a hit from a stray log or two. Has anyone replaced a similar hose or have any tips?

I do know the current hose is about 44" long, has a 3/4" inner diameter, rated up to 300 psi.

Last edited:
2.) The other end of that same hose somehow became pinched just before connecting to the filter/reservoir. I noticed it while inspecting the machine after a long splitting session, and my best guess is that some split logs fell on it from the beam or from the splits that piled up during a long splitting session.

HydraulicReturnHose002.jpg

So my thinking is that the hose should be replaced. I could go with a section of the same type of hose and use the same type of clamps, but I think I need a stronger (& stiffer) hose to keep it off the cylinder and one that can take a hit from a stray log or two. Has anyone replaced a similar hose or have any tips?

I do know the current hose is about 48" long, has a 3/4" inner diameter, rated up to 300 psi.

I would change that 90 degree fitting in the second picture for a 45 degree and trim the hose to get rid of the kink.
If you want to fix it good, get a couple fitting and make up a 2 wire (3000 psi) hydraulic hose for the job.
But other then the kink your hose looks good. The oil inside the hose is just as hot as the cylinder, so I would not worry about that.
If you can kinda touch the cylinder the heat is not too bad, if you spit on the cylnder and it steams and sizzles then its time for a larger oil tank or stop hitting the end of the cylinder so much. That loud squeal the relief valve makes also generates a lot of heat
Ken

Last edited:
I agree with Skidsteer on his way to fix that kink!! 45deg fitting instead of that 90 deg....:agree2:

BUT...if that cylinder is ao hot "spit" steaming of it....you have more problem than can, or should be solved with a 2ire hose and a larger tank....You need to trouble shoot the reason for that heat build up!! Period!!
If you need a larger tank, then all other

Because if you need a larger tank, then all other Huskee 35ton-owner will need one two....and this overheating problem is a osilated problem on your splitter, not on all Huskee 35 ton splitters.....right??

I think that kink on the hose might be the restriction that created the heat.....or at least part of the problem....

Start up "cold" one day and try to check where heat up starts...by hands on....or pour snow over to see where it starts to melt....most possible other sources for heat build up....pump, RV in controlvalve is leaking, cylinder seal is leaking....Internal leakage and or restricted flow is what you are looking for.....

Hose Problems

I've got the same splitter and one other member posted a problem with the clamp on hoses right after he bought his. The hose blew off the fitting and he doubled up (2 -per fitting) the hose clamps. I did the same.

I had a problem with the hose which passes under the frame and up to the valve. It vibrated and wore a bad place in the rubber. It was only a few days old at the time. E-mailed Speeco and they sent a replacement.

I think yours will be OK as soon as you get a better routing so there will be no kinks in the hose.

Nosmo

Good advise already. Ill just add abrasion will cause a failure long before the heat. Without seeing it Id say try changing fittings and using same style hose. If you cant keep it off of the cylinder wrap it with a piece of rubber so it rubs and not the hose. Get the kink out too.:cheers:

I went back to your original post and was looking at the first picture. Does that hose from your pump which goes under the frame come out and up in front of the gas tank before it is attached to the cylinder.

They had mine routed coming up between the engine and muffler which caused it to rub on the frame. If it is routed this way it will cause a problem if it is near the frame.

One day last week I used mine in the vertical position and that hose from the pump up to the cylinder was barely long enough - it was taunt.

Splitters are usually shipped to retailers partially assembled to save space. Final assembly takes place at the dealer. The stock boy that does the final assembly often lacks the knowledge or even cares about what he is doing.

Unfortunately it is up to the buyer to double check the assembly to be sure hoses are routed properly, clamps are tight, bolts are all tight, and even the axle bearings are greased.

I know you pay a good price and you should not have to do these things but this is what happens in the REAL world.

Splitters are usually shipped to retailers partially assembled to save space. Final assembly takes place at the dealer. The stock boy that does the final assembly often lacks the knowledge or even cares about what he is doing.

Unfortunately it is up to the buyer to double check the assembly to be sure hoses are routed properly, clamps are tight, bolts are all tight, and even the axle bearings are greased.

I know you pay a good price and you should not have to do these things but this is what happens in the REAL world.

:agree2:

take the hose off and both fittings take them to your local hydraulic hose place and have them make you a new hose with crimp on fittings

I have the same splitter with the same problem as in pic 1. I added a piece of rubber so it rubs on that instead of the hose. I don't have the kink as in pic 2

I would change that 90 degree fitting in the second picture for a 45 degree and trim the hose to get rid of the kink.
If you want to fix it good, get a couple fitting and make up a 2 wire (3000 psi) hydraulic hose for the job.
But other then the kink your hose looks good. The oil inside the hose is just as hot as the cylinder, so I would not worry about that.
If you can kinda touch the cylinder the heat is not too bad, if you spit on the cylnder and it steams and sizzles then its time for a larger oil tank or stop hitting the end of the cylinder so much. That loud squeal the relief valve makes also generates a lot of heat
Ken

Sounds like a good plan to cut off the kink and swap in a 45° fitting. The cylinder has gotten hot to touch, but I don't know about sizzling spit hot; I'll try to give it a workout this weekend and do some heat testing.

I agree with Skidsteer on his way to fix that kink!! 45deg fitting instead of that 90 deg....:agree2:

BUT...if that cylinder is ao hot "spit" steaming of it....you have more problem than can, or should be solved with a 2ire hose and a larger tank....You need to trouble shoot the reason for that heat build up!! Period!!
If you need a larger tank, then all other

Because if you need a larger tank, then all other Huskee 35ton-owner will need one two....and this overheating problem is a osilated problem on your splitter, not on all Huskee 35 ton splitters.....right??

I think that kink on the hose might be the restriction that created the heat.....or at least part of the problem....

Start up "cold" one day and try to check where heat up starts...by hands on....or pour snow over to see where it starts to melt....most possible other sources for heat build up....pump, RV in controlvalve is leaking, cylinder seal is leaking....Internal leakage and or restricted flow is what you are looking for.....

Clever idea about the snow test. I didn't really think that there was a heat problem because I expected the cylinder to heat up. I'll definitely pay attention to it.

I've got the same splitter and one other member posted a problem with the clamp on hoses right after he bought his. The hose blew off the fitting and he doubled up (2 -per fitting) the hose clamps. I did the same.

I had a problem with the hose which passes under the frame and up to the valve. It vibrated and wore a bad place in the rubber. It was only a few days old at the time. E-mailed Speeco and they sent a replacement.

I think yours will be OK as soon as you get a better routing so there will be no kinks in the hose.

Nosmo

Yeah, I read that thread about the loose clamps and that's the first thing I checked when I got it home. :cheers:

Good advise already. Ill just add abrasion will cause a failure long before the heat. Without seeing it Id say try changing fittings and using same style hose. If you cant keep it off of the cylinder wrap it with a piece of rubber so it rubs and not the hose. Get the kink out too.:cheers:

I think the fitting change is a definite for me.

I went back to your original post and was looking at the first picture. Does that hose from your pump which goes under the frame come out and up in front of the gas tank before it is attached to the cylinder.

They had mine routed coming up between the engine and muffler which caused it to rub on the frame. If it is routed this way it will cause a problem if it is near the frame.

One day last week I used mine in the vertical position and that hose from the pump up to the cylinder was barely long enough - it was taunt.

On my splitter that hose doesn't touch anything except the mounting bracket that protects the lovejoy. I have the same problem when using it in vertical. Its hose is so short that it will fold on itself in vertical, so I've decided not to split in the vertical position until I get a longer hose or other solution (free rotating fitting, maybe).

HydraulicHose001.jpg

I agree, too. Since I did my homework here at AS, I expected such. If I didn't have AS and the courage to tinker, I probably would have overspent on a TW6. :hmm3grin2orange:

take the hose off and both fittings take them to your local hydraulic hose place and have them make you a new hose with crimp on fittings

Now that's another good idea. Thanks! :clap:

Maybe replace the 90° fitting with a 2" or 3" nipple.

Interesting idea and thanks! I think it would work for horizontal operation, but then the hose would have to double back on itself 180° when operating in vertical. But, then again, doubling back wouldn't be as big of an issue if the hose were a little longer.

I have the same splitter with the same problem as in pic 1. I added a piece of rubber so it rubs on that instead of the hose. I don't have the kink as in pic 2

Thanks for the tip!

And thanks to all who replied. You guys are awesome! I'll post some pics when I implement a solution.

Back