Husky 154 - running strange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The saw WAS running great, and yesterday it started out fine, but as the day progressed, the saw started to act up.

1) it became hard to start (usually fires on 2nd or 3rd pull). Eventually, it would kick on choke, but that's it.
2) when it ran, it had a severe bog when trying to go to WOT.
3) Once through the bog and when the RPM's were in operating range, the saw cut fine, but as the day went on, I'm pretty sure I was losing power.
4) After a cut (or before), the saw would idle fine sometimes, and then quit. But if the saw was on it's side, it would idle all day long.

Eventually I tossed the saw aside as it wasn't usable anymore.

Saw background - recent rings (might have 3 hours on it since), and last time out I notices one of the dawg bolts missing, the other loose. These bolts also hold the case together. Just prior, the saw was running lean. When I fixed it I also noticed the barrel bolts loose. After fixing the saw ran great again (until yesterday).

I'm thinking I may still have a lean condition that gets worse as the saw warms up. But I'm not getting a fast idle, and it's not revving up past where I think it should be. The odd part is that it idles better on it's side (mixture screws up)..

Any ideas?

Nikko

Sounds like you have another air leak. Recheck all the gaskets for air leaks, and make sure there are no more loose bolts first.

Be sure not to run it anymore while its lean, or it will burn up right quick

You said that it would idle find on it's side. Did you notice a change in the idle if it was laid on the other side?

If this is the case it could be an indication of a failing crank seal causing an air leak.

So the air is heavier on the one side?
Maybe an inner ear condition..... Maybe the loose bolt thing and gravity...
One needs to buy some red loctite, and look at the piston....first.

So the air is heavier on the one side?
Maybe an inner ear condition..... Maybe the loose bolt thing and gravity...
One needs to buy some red loctite, and look at the piston....first.

Previous MIA bolts (that were replaced) were installed with red locktite but I have a hunch you could be right. I'll pull it down tonight and see what I can find.

Curious how the 2 halves of the case are supposed to be sealed? Is there supposed to be a gasket there?

You said that it would idle find on it's side. Did you notice a change in the idle if it was laid on the other side?

If this is the case it could be an indication of a failing crank seal causing an air leak.

Never flipped it - interesting thought though, thanks. Will a bad crank seal behave differently (worse) when the saw's warm?

Previous MIA bolts (that were replaced) were installed with red locktite but I have a hunch you could be right. I'll pull it down tonight and see what I can find.

Curious how the 2 halves of the case are supposed to be sealed? Is there supposed to be a gasket there?

There should be a gasket.Like Fish said,piston first.

Piston looked fine - no different than the last time I looked. I put ti all back together, fired it up and it went straight to idle - just sat there and burbled at me. But it did that last outting too - and them started acting weird. I'm thinking it's an air leak that gets worse as the saw warms, so I took it in for a pressure test. stay tuned.

Fuel filter was fine, fuel line appeared to be in good shape (I took it off, re-installed it)

Nikko

Latest posts

Back