Husky 254. Sounds nuts but???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The Husky 254 i have would flood etc... even after crab kit/carb pressure testing, new oil seals , new piston kit and lightly honed cylinder pressure reading after about five pulls is about 140 psi. Here's the thing, i had been alternating two spark plugs and still nothing other than flooding and the occasional two second run before flooding again. I finally tried another plug out of my P41. The saw started and actually ran for about 30 seconds or so. So now am i crazy in thinking that only a particular plug will work in this saw? I see on fleabay that sellers are selling "HUSKY' plugs, other than a brain, am i missing something here? I believe my problem now is fuel related, the fuel hose is the straight rubber not the curved type like on fleabay, ( if that makes any difference ) and it has some areas worn.

Last edited:
Sounds like your inlet needle isn't seating. The seat may be worn, the lever may be set too high, you may have the wrong needle in there, there may be foreign particles keeping the needle from seating, etc. If all that checks out then pressure check the carb.

Sounds like your inlet needle isn't seating. The seat may be worn, the lever may be set too high, you may have the wrong needle in there, there may be foreign particles keeping the needle from seating, etc. If all that checks out then pressure check the carb.

Thanks for the tips. Carb was pressure tested and was good. Cleaned carb out today with carb cleaner (spray ) Maybe wrong inlet needle though i have adjusted the lever up and down with not much luck so far. Any idea what carb kit that carb takes? I used a K12 HDA kit. Thanks for the help.

K12-HDA should be right. Your diaphragms are on in the correct order? Metering side: gasket against carb body and then diaphragm, fuel pump side: diaphragm against carb body and then gasket. If the carb pressure tested ok then I'd say that either you have a cracked carb body (unlikely) or a fixed jet or valve jet could be leaking.

K12-HDA should be right. Your diaphragms are on in the correct order? Metering side: gasket against carb body and then diaphragm, fuel pump side: diaphragm against carb body and then gasket. If the carb pressure tested ok then I'd say that either you have a cracked carb body (unlikely) or a fixed jet or valve jet could be leaking.

Yes, all gaskets and diaphrams are correctly installed. Funny though it would run for only a couple of seconds with the first two plugs and then i added the P41 plug to the saw and now runs for about 30 seconds initially with choke on. even after starting a few times and engine is warm it still requires choke to start which leads me back to possible fuel line/filter? carb was pressure tested and held pressure. This thing has me stumped now.

.... now runs for about 30 seconds initially with choke on. .....

I may have put a bit much into that statement, but;

Try to turn the choke off after about 3 pulls regardless if it "pops" in those pulls (or sooner if it does), and start it at fast idle.

If you let it stay "on choke", it is no wonder that it floods.....

Last edited:
If your carb hold pressure ,and plugs are not leaking, then i would look elsewhere.Did you try it without air filter,could be blocked ?Check ignition,disconnect switch first to eliminate switch .If no start,i would try another ignition,even a used from another Husky model,many will fit on 254.

If your carb hold pressure ,and plugs are not leaking, then i would look elsewhere.Did you try it without air filter,could be blocked ?Check ignition,disconnect switch first to eliminate switch .If no start,i would try another ignition,even a used from another Husky model,many will fit on 254.

thanks. I did disconect the switch it seems to work good, i will try another later. I believe the problem is fuel/spark related now. I don't have the time to spend on this anymore so i listed it on fleabay, someone with more time will get a good saw. Oh well, thats the way it goes.

Last edited:
Have you tried to run it with a different fuel line? what I mean is, from a different tank sortta thing? Sounds almost like the line is pinching or collapsing.
Just a wee 0.02$ thought fer the afternoon.

:cheers:

Serge

Have you tried to run it with a different fuel line? what I mean is, from a different tank sortta thing? Sounds almost like the line is pinching or collapsing.
Just a wee 0.02$ thought fer the afternoon.

:cheers:

Serge

Hey. That is a good idea, i haven't tried that but will. I thought about just replacing the line as well, time is now at a premium so i just may move on to something else, i will try your method as well and let you know.

Latest posts

Back