Husky 254XP Piston Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Haven't been here in a while, good to see the site running well.

Yep, burned another piston...no idea why...gas OK in two Stihls.

Anyhow, I need a 254XP piston. I got the last one from Thall (Steve), but don't know if he's around now.

Anybody have one?

Anybody know if others fit the saw?

Thanks,

OK, thanks, Bailey's had it....didn't last time I needed one.
I'm guessing it was a little lean and maybe over reved by a teenager.

Yes, second time losiing the piston. Used saw I bought for a son. Ran fine but died when he ans a brother were using it...scored piston with metal smeared over the ring, right by the exhaust port. Replaced piston, ran fine again for months, then died when teenage grandson was using it on some pine, not very large, same problem.

This is odd, since it ran well for many years for the previous owner.

Troll, it is the sort of thing I'd expect from running lean, although it doesn't act lean...has good acceleration from idle, etc. Where could the air leak be? Base of carb??

It's very powerful, way more so than my MS250 and probably more so than my 029. I know, don't start on the 29. It's by far the most reliable and easiest startiing of my several saws.

Do you think boring out the little holes iin the muffler would help?

BTW, the exhaust from this saw blows almost at the handle! I made a little deflector to screw over the stock deflector and it makes the saw far more pleasant to hse.

Yes, second time losiing the piston. Used saw I bought for a son. Ran fine but died when he ans a brother were using it...scored piston with metal smeared over the ring, right by the exhaust port. Replaced piston, ran fine again for months, then died when teenage grandson was using it on some pine, not very large, same problem.

If you didn't clean the aluminum transfer off the cylinder wall the last time it scored, then there is your problem. If you put a new piston in a scored cylinder, it may run for a while, but eventually the aluminum transfer will gum up the rings and score the new piston too. Do not use a hone to try and clean it up, you need to use acid. If it has already scored once, you may be in the market for a cylinder. That chrome is tough, but they will not usually stand up to repeated scoring.

It's very powerful, way more so than my MS250 and probably more so than my 029. I know, don't start on the 29. It's by far the most reliable and easiest startiing of my several saws.

No arguments here. For what they are, the 029's are great saws. And they sell very well on greedbay and craigslist.

Latest posts

Back