husky 272xp to 288 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a old 272xp saw and was doing a little research and ran across something someone claims to interchange. basicly, that the fw side of the case will swap from a 272 to a 288. Purpose being to get rid of the 2 coil design of the 288. The 288 has a bigger bore and stroke than the 272 so a top end swap wont work, even tho it appears the 288cly will bolt up to the 272 and the 272 carb and muffler looks like it will bolt to the 288 cyl. I am just wondering if indeed the case halves will bolt together. If so, it would seem that one could put a 288 crank, as well as the 288 p/c on the 272 crankcase and build a 288 saw. Could be that the crankcase halfs wont bolt together at all, and there could be other differences, beside bore and stroke, that would prohibit such a build. Just hopeing someone can clear up the confusion. I dont have any 288 parts, so I wont be attempting the build, just wondering if it is possible

Why try to make a 288 out of a 272? Whats wrong with the 288 2 coil ignition? It works great and is pretty much hassle free. If you want a 288 get one. 181, 281 and of course 288 cases are the same. 268/272 cases are different.

It isn't possible without a lot of machine work.
Just to keep the discussion going, I guess the next question is, What kind of machine work? I know the stroke and bore are bigger. Just looking at pictures, it looks like the cyl will bolt to the case. Might have obvious differences if I was holding the parts in my hand. The case bore might have to be opened up to accept the larger bore cyl. Possible 2 mm, if the cyl OD is increased because of bore size. No big deal. It would be possible the throws on the crank might hit the case. .150 longer stroke would mean .075 longer throws. Again, no real big deal. the problem would be the deck height of case in relation to the crank center line. Wouldnt take much difference here to make putting a 288 crank in a 272 case impossible. There is also the transfer ports in the case, would the 272 case line up with the 288 cyl. Again, this would be a deal breaker if they didnt match. Another deal breaker would be if the bearing spaceing on the crank differed, or didnt match gears on the oiler, or wouldnt accept the 272 flywheel. I'm not interested in doing this build, I just wonder if it was possible because of what I read about someone using half of a 272 case to eliminate a dual coil setup in a 288

Very true, what got me started looking was something I read on another forum about using half a 272 case to replace half of a 288 case. Even that I dont believe will work. The 288 has bigger bearings than the 272xp as well as the bolt pattern for the cyl being wider. Even if every thing would swap, you still have a stock 288. I found a stock 288 for $50 at the saw shop, so it certainly isnt worth the effort to convert a good 272 to a 288, altho it would be something one could drag out when folks are bragging about how good their "little" saws run. And to be honest, there is a certain local guy that cant shut up about his 390 cuts. I had visions of racing him with a stock appearing 272 and a sq filed chain.:muscle:

Very true, what got me started looking was something I read on another forum about using half a 272 case to replace half of a 288 case. Even that I dont believe will work. The 288 has bigger bearings than the 272xp as well as the bolt pattern for the cyl being wider. Even if every thing would swap, you still have a stock 288. I found a stock 288 for $50 at the saw shop, so it certainly isnt worth the effort to convert a good 272 to a 288, altho it would be something one could drag out when folks are bragging about how good their "little" saws run. And to be honest, there is a certain local guy that cant shut up about his 390 cuts. I had visions of racing him with a stock appearing 272 and a sq filed chain.:muscle:
Wait.... you found a 288 for $50?

Yep, missing bar and chain and clutch cover. Beat up some but felt like decent compression. I was very tempted, but dont need it. First one I have ever seen. You interested in it.
Pick that thing up make yourself a profit and put the money into your processor, i want if you're fair with me

I can pick it up,, never shipped a saw so dont know what it would cost, or who to ship on, if your serious, pm me and we can make it happen. I doubt the saw is going anywhere soon, its in the back and been there for a while.

I will be going to the shop tomorrow, I wouldnt feel right taking photos in his store of the saw. I know it missing the clutch cover and I believe the top cover had a crack in it. I think everything else is there.

I can pick it up,, never shipped a saw so dont know what it would cost, or who to ship on, if your serious, pm me and we can make it happen. I doubt the saw is going anywhere soon, its in the back and been there for a while.

I will be going to the shop tomorrow, I wouldnt feel right taking photos in his store of the saw. I know it missing the clutch cover and I believe the top cover had a crack in it. I think everything else is there.
I'll message you now, thanks

Latest posts

Back