Husky 345 chain oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cujet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been repairing my old 345. I've found out that my chain is not getting enough oil. Most of it simply comes out under the metal plate. So, I tried a good cleaning of the oil pump and related parts. Did not help.

I really can't tell why the rubber seal is not sealing. Other than to think that it's shrunk a little bit.

Even when new, this saw did not oil the chain very well.

So, my questions are

1) Is this a common problem?

2) Can an adjustable pump be installed (from the 346)?

3) Any suggestions.

Also, FYI I've been using Stihl RS chains. They cut very well, but have stretched too much. The new Stihl RMC chain does not cut anywhere near as well. It's smooth and slow. That probably contributes to chain wear too. As less cutting gets done per revolution. I don't like the RMC chain.

I would say it is common. My 345 did the same exact thing from day one. It never oiled very well.
After smoking a bar, I upgraded the pump to an adjustable one from a 350/346. So yes, it can be done. Be sure to get the drive gear as well as the pump/driven gear.

My drive gear looks fine. Are they different with the adjustable pump?

Also, looking on Bailey's parts list, the oil pump is the same part number for both saws. How did you get the "right" one?

Thanks

Chris

I think there is a sprocket situation?

The 345 has a spur sprocket and the 346 has a rim?

The oil pump drive is different with the different sprockets?

Check the part #'s on the IPL's?

The adjustable pump has three positions - Low - Medium - High

I've been repairing my old 345. I've found out that my chain is not getting enough oil. Most of it simply comes out under the metal plate. So, I tried a good cleaning of the oil pump and related parts. Did not help.

I really can't tell why the rubber seal is not sealing. Other than to think that it's shrunk a little bit.

Even when new, this saw did not oil the chain very well.

So, my questions are

1) Is this a common problem?

2) Can an adjustable pump be installed (from the 346)?

3) Any suggestions.

Also, FYI I've been using Stihl RS chains. They cut very well, but have stretched too much. The new Stihl RMC chain does not cut anywhere near as well. It's smooth and slow. That probably contributes to chain wear too. As less cutting gets done per revolution. I don't like the RMC chain.

Have you thouroughly cleaned the oil tank, pick up filter and oil tank vent first? This has solved a number of my oiling issues. I use brake parts cleaner and compressed air to make sure the lines and filter are completely clean. I wash the tank out with a small amout of mixed gas.

Oh yeah, it's clean.

The pump is pumping oil, maybe not as much as I'd like, but it's working. The real problem is that it does not oil the bar and chain, but comes out under the metal plate. Probably due to a crack or poor seal.

The oil hole in some bars is rather small.

It needs to be larger than 1/16" ? The old bars were more like 3/32"

Back