Husky 350 Rebuild Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNmatt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm hoping a couple of you won't mind helping a newbie out. I've read every thread I can find on the topic and still have a couple questions... I made a newbie mistake and bought a used Husky 350 that had a high idling issue so I got it fairly cheap and took it to a local shop to tune it up. They told me the piston was scored and the compression was only 100. The muffler had come loose and they indicated this was the issue. So my plan is to rebuild it since I'm stuck with it and learn what I'm doing as I go. I've got it torn down and have a couple questions.

The cylinder looks to still be in good shape, no visible scoring that I can see so my plan was to put in a Meteor piston but there are multiple sizes it seems, how do I determine which one fits my model? I've seen 44 and 45mm will both work?

Second question is the root of the initial problem, would the loose muffler cause the saw to burn up or should I be looking for another issue that would have caused this? I know there is problem with these saws running lean due to air leaks at the intake so I was going to get the metal clips for the intake but just wanted to make sure I shouldn't look for something else.

Feel free to mention anything else I should consider doing as well.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

-Matt

First post and couldn't even get a helping hand or a Welcome.....

On top of the cylinder should be a stamped mark, probably a 45. Both won't work, measure it to be sure. It's scored because of something other than the muffler. Could be lean, old fuel, or the air leaking in from the intake boot possibly. A replacement intake is a good idea, make sure its air tight or it will score again. Could have just been tuned lean as well, some good video's of tuning on you tube in case your not sure.

Welcome.

Randy

Hi Matt, I'm Matt

feel free to check out my rebuild vids on youtube, starting with this one:

when you are done with the vids some time next week, and have gone through all the coffee in the house to get over the boredom of listening to me, feel free to send me any question you might have :)

I must have missed your original post, welcome to the site... i am also in middle tn (nashville area) and may be able to help you out.
i had one that had leaks all over (base gasket, intake and riser / case sealing surface also! )

I know Mattyo covered a lot of stuff in his videos, but there are a few pieces of advice I can give.

-Check the bottom bolts that screw into the riser block...they are bad about backing loose and developing an air leak at the crankcase.

-Replace the plastic clamp with a metal one. You already know this.

-Install helicoils or time certs for the muffler bolts. Steel bolts threading into soft aluminum is no bueno.

Almost forgot...welcome to AS!

350s are great saws when these issues are fixed. And they can be turned into pretty strong saws with some easy mods.

I believe you can run a 353 piston instead of the 350. The 353 is flattopped instead of dished and ups compression and performance. Perhaps someone can chime in and verify this. Oldcat where are you?

Mine has a 45mm cylinder with a 353 flat top piston in it. Old cat rebuilt it and did a mild port job...it really runs good now!

Welcome Matt,

I too just picked up a scored saw, it's a Husky 353 . Cleaned up the cylinder ( look for Mastermind's cylinder clean-up video), installed a new Meteor piston, intake boot & partition with metal clamp. I decided to pressure test it to see why it may have scored on the previous owner. See where my leak was.....

Here's a few pics:
DSC00937[1].JPG DSC00938[1].JPG DSC00939[1].JPG DSC00940[1].JPG DSC00947[1].JPG

Thanks everyone for the replies, this is very helpful. Mattyo I have watched your video at least 5 times! I had it pulled up on my phone and watched it as I was taking it apart haha.

So sounds like I should also check the bolts that screw into the riser to make sure they aren't loose as well

I have checked the cylinder to see if it's a 44 or 45mm and I can't find any markings yet but it's got so much buildup on the top I'll have to clean it to see.

I had a slight brainfart, I was reading cylinder but looking at the piston for a 44 or 45mm marking for some reason. I'll check the cylinder in the morning. Thanks again

Thanks everyone for the replies, this is very helpful. Mattyo I have watched your video at least 5 times! I had it pulled up on my phone and watched it as I was taking it apart haha.

So sounds like I should also check the bolts that screw into the riser to make sure they aren't loose as well

I have checked the cylinder to see if it's a 44 or 45mm and I can't find any markings yet but it's got so much buildup on the top I'll have to clean it to see.

5 times? i can't hear myself that much... SNORE.... hehe. its a 5 part video too, so don't forget to check out the other parts.

I have quite a few other vids too, and the more you see those, the more you have recurring themes ...easier to troublshoot issues.

Ok I checked and the top of the cylinder has "45L" stamped on it. From what I'm reading this means I can use the 45mm piston from the 353 like the one in the link below
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ered-2152-Chainsaws-Replaces-537-22-36-04.axd

I'm going to order the metal ring for the intake as well, this is the one I found.
http://www.weedeaterman.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=40877

After Deererainman and tickbitintn's comments I feel like I need to check for other air leaks now. I've never done a pressure check before so I may have to do some research on that

Yes, you have a closed port 45mm cylinder. A 353 piston will work with it. You can further increase compression by taking material off the riser block to set the squish to 20 thou. It's a good idea to clean up the riser and case mating surfaces anyway. You want a slightly rough surface on the case so the sealant bonds well. Sand paper or emery cloth on a piece of plate glass works well to even out the riser.

Back