Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While researching information on Husky saws I noticed the 350 was manufactured in two bore sizes.

Here are the critical specifications that differ.

Prior to 2003

44 mm bore / 32.5 mm stroke, 49.4 cc displacement
equipped with a Walbro (HDA 159) carb and FHP ignition

After 2003

45 mm bore / 32.5 mm stroke, 51.7 cc displacement
equipped with a Zama (C3-EL18) carb and SEM ignition

I've found a local store that some of both versions in stock. Based on the configurations noted above, would one of these prove to be better than the other relative to performance or durability. Or are they virtually the same.

Thanks

Hal

Do a search on Zama carbs. I do recall a post discussing Zama carbs on a 372 or 272 Husky saw. Supposedly, the Zama carbs helped clear up the shortcomings of Walbro carbs used prior. The info is out there, you just have to find it. BUT, I will tell you what most here will tell you, go for the 359! Everyone loves them and talks highly of them. But, ultimately, you have to fork out the coin and decide what best fits your needs. Make sure you put your hands on several differnt saws/different brands of saws - numbers look good on paper, but a good fitting saw, and a good dealer with good parts supply/service is as much, or MORE important!

-Josh

Hi. Sorry that I can't answer your 350 question. I do agree with Four Paws on the idea of getting a 359. Open up the muffler and remove the tabs on the limiter caps so you can properly adjust the carburetor to richen it up. If not the 359, then I would look at the 353. It at least has a magnesium case verses the plastic case of the 350.

:chainsaw: :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

The 350 is a good little saw. The 351 was idenical, except is had a mag case. The only downside to the 350 is the plastic crankcase, but it is still a good saw. The fathers has run good for a couple years and I picked that one up used.

To answer your question, if you are set on the 350, get the newer one, it will have a little more grunt than the smaller cc. The 353 replaced the 351 and shares the same motor, but with the magnesium case. A little better saw if you are wanting a 50-55 cc saw. Although I would recommend the Dolmar 5100 over both.

And the 357 or 359 over those three. The 357 is a nice mid range saw that isn't too heavy or bulky. I want one to fill the 50-65cc gap in my lineup. lol

Four Paws made a comment about the Zama carbs. I can only comment on my experiences. The husky 365 shares the same case/plastic other parts except the bore size of the 371/372. The 371 and 372 came with Walbro carbs. The older 365's had Zama carbs. After they had some time on it, there were numerous dealers that had problems with the 365's in an off idle hesitation. It wasn't a matter of just rebuilding the carb. I had one of mine rebuilt 3 times in a year and a half and it never fixed the problem and there wasn't anything that adjusting the L,H and idle that would fix it. The fix was the Walbro Carb that came on the bigger 372. Something about the low speed jet on the Zama that was either too small of an orifice, or whatever, It didn't allow enough fuel. Husky later changed to Walbro carbs on the newer models of the 365's.

Now, this doesn't mean Zama carbs are junk, They are basicaly Walbro Knockoffs and hold up pretty well. I've had good luck with them on ever other saw that has had them, except the 365's.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve...I knew it was something like that...looks like I had my info backwards!

Look at us, trying to convince the new guy to buy an out-of-the-box hotsaw :hmm3grin2orange: Hal, make your own decision and buy what you need! Don't listen to us or you will HAVE to buy more than one saw...we're addicted :popcorn:

The 51.7 cc version is the latest EPA version.

Bigger engine + more EPA-imposed restrictions :jester: = The same power output.

The new 51.7 cc engine is the same size as the 353 engine, but due to imposed restrictions, it makes less power in the 350 than in the 353.

Last edited:

I agree, if you can afford the 359 get it.Do the muffler mod,because they have a cat in it.It runs very hot with the cat.My 359 is putting out over 4hp and is very balanced with a 20 ' bar.(to me)If you start bucking over 20" stock watch it!the bark will began to smoke with the muffler mod made with the hole in the front!But no big deal to me.
Ed

I thought EPA probably had something to do with it since the newer 350's have 1 mm larger bore and don't put out any more HP.

I've read lots of great things about the 359 here on the board, from all the recommendations it appears to be a great running mid-size saw.

Hal

Back