Husky 353 Carb Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a Husky 353 carburetor and neglected to notice that it has a primer bulb port in addition to the typical fuel intake. The primer bulb was optional on these saws and mine does not have one. My question is simple. Can I modify this carb easily and use it anyway? Seems like the intake could be mechanically blocked, capped, or rendered useless somehow. WDYT? Any ideas? TIA.

Put a short piece of hose on it with a screw in it to seal it up.
That's what I thought might work. Melting the end of the short hose might also seal it. What I don't know is whether a sealed end messes up with whatever is going on inside the carb. For example, if a primer bulb is missing or cracked, a carb connected to a primer bulb seems to have trouble working right.

That's what I thought might work. Melting the end of the short hose might also seal it. What I don't know is whether a sealed end messes up with whatever is going on inside the carb. For example, if a primer bulb is missing or cracked, a carb connected to a primer bulb seems to have trouble working right.
No, this is designed to pull fuel through the metering chamber and discharge it back into the tank. Plugging the (correct) line won't cause any problems.

Cracked/missing primer bulbs are also a non-issue assuming that the check valves in the carb are working properly.

Thanks, Steve and Eric. A cracked primer bulb might set up an air leak problem, but a sealed intake should be no problem. Modification is in progress.

Done and it seems to work fine. Saw's engine started right up and accelerates up and down as if it were brand new. I checked the old carb and found that the final screen filter was clogged up to the hilt. That probably caused the entire problem. I cleaned it up and saved it for a backup. Cheers!

1690755511217.png
There is a rather deep cavity right below this screen filter that was packed tight as a drum. Likely it choked off all fuel delivery to the combustion chamber.

Back