Husky 353 Sprocket Jammed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPDISXR4Ti

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi- Not quite sure what I may have done here, but I've got a relatively new 353 with the sprocket (clutch?) jammed up pretty good. I was just using it as normal, the blade got pinched, I managed to get it out, but now it won't budge. I loosened the blade up and it's not off the sprocket or anything; it's the sprocket that won't turn. Motor starts and runs fine.

Any assistance appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined, but have no hands-on experience with chain saws - this is the first one I've owned.

Thanks....

Try pulling back on the guard in front of the front handgrip.

Why yes, I am an idiot...

I guess the fact that I never engage the chain brake when starting the motor caused me to forget that it even existed! That's just about the only defense I can come up with other than the one in the subject line... :eek:

Thanks guys....;)

omg.... Make SURE you use your chain brake! If you take more than 3 steps from the area you are working, hit the brake!
The only close call I have ever had was when I was walking with the saw running and the brake off.
-Brad

Originally posted by Typhoon
omg.... Make SURE you use your chain brake! If you take more than 3 steps from the area you are working, hit the brake!
The only close call I have ever had was when I was walking with the saw running and the brake off.
-Brad

Does your saw blade move when the motor is at idle (once warm)? I suspect most (all?) do not, so I fail to see the significant risk. I'm usually reasonably cautious and very deliberate in my actions. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

Originally posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Hi- I was just using it as normal, the blade got pinched,

Thanks....

BLADE ! BLADE! you mean bar and chain chainsaws don't have a blade;)

BLADE... and other chainsaw terms

Yeah I hear that all the time... "when can you have my blade sharpened?" or "I need a new blade- how much is that"...
It a bar and chain...

Now the saw can be called a saw, chainsaw or chain saw...
But if you have a big bad saw then its called a "CLUB" (to quote Marky Mark)

Later

Jeff
I just finished doing a few more mods to your PP346. Can I keep this one? I will give you a new one for it. To give you some idea how it runs, I will just say that its faster then the one my son built. I am sure that you will remember the cut that Eric made with that saw.
Later
Dan

Club or modified chainsaw...

I looked up the definition of "Club" and here it is- I think that Marky had it right all along...

as per Websters new un-abridged copyright 2003 @@@

CLUB ( Pronunciation: kl'ub): derivation- CLUB also see www.ArboristSite.com
A chainsaw or chainsaws that have have been power ported for maximum horsepower... IE/eg: those chainsaws that have had the intake and exhaust port timing changed from the original factory specifications, as well as transfer port modifications also modified in order to maximize high speed power from the displacement available from the said chainsaw.

BTW Marky isn't that some of "Tools" lyrics that you have as a signature ?

Hey Dan

Thats great news... you have been working on it already ?? I didn't expect to hear any news on it for a least a couple of weeks or so. Now you have me thinking about it again and I want to know more.

Dan is the man...

Jeff

Yes it is tool and to boot I got those off the toolshed.
Life is to short to get caught in the bog. I'll post a few more lyrics as they come to mind.

Oh Dan did you ship the 026 muffler yet?

Okay, I'm back.... I see this went astray in the mean time, so let me see if I can bring my question back... So what's the big deal about engaging the chain brake from a safety standpoint? Once warm, the chain does not move at idle, so I fail to see a significant risk unless you are carrying it with your hand on the trigger. Or am I missing something???

Originally posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Okay, I'm back.... I see this went astray in the mean time, so let me see if I can bring my question back... So what's the big deal about engaging the chain brake from a safety standpoint? Once warm, the chain does not move at idle, so I fail to see a significant risk unless you are carrying it with your hand on the trigger. Or am I missing something???

I agree with you DPD! Can I call you DPD?

Unforseen events kill people everyday, these are usually called "accidents" . Most of these events were preventable. If I KNEW i would NEVER be involved in a collision, I would not wear my seatbelt. I have no such guarantee, so I wear the belt. You want to go trapsing through the woods with a running chainsaw with the brake not set, be my guest. What if you fall? You won't intentionally nail the throttle wide open but can you guarantee that you won't? Marty (Chainsawworld) knows a guy who fell face first on his chainsaw and pinned the throttle open in the process, if the brake had not been on the guy would have cut his own head in half.

But how could one possibly fall and trigger both the lower trigger and upper safety simultaneously unless your hand was in position there as it should ONLY be when purposely powering the saw???

FWIW, I'm not suggesting you should power up your saw and then take a hike while it's running with the safety off. :rolleyes:

Back